public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: insight GUI not working!
@ 2004-07-16 14:07 Bhagat, Vivek
From: Bhagat, Vivek @ 2004-07-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Keith Seitz'; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

X applications (xterm say) only works within the account where insight works but for all the other account it displays "xterm Xt error: Can't open display:", so it is certain that my X Server is not configured properly.
That's the reason insight GUI is not opening up and only command line gdb opens up.
But the funny thing is when I try to open up the X man from my working account it says "No Manual entry for X". I am not sure if this will be the forum to ask question regarding X Windows/Server. But if you can provide assistance in setting this DISPLAY environmental variable, it will great.
;-)

Vivek

* RE: insight GUI not working!
@ 2004-07-16 14:39 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhagat, Vivek; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 07:07, Bhagat, Vivek wrote:
> X applications (xterm say) only works within the account where insight works but for all the other account it displays "xterm Xt error: Can't open display:", so it is certain that my X Server is not configured properly.
> That's the reason insight GUI is not opening up and only command line gdb opens up.
> But the funny thing is when I try to open up the X man from my working account it says "No Manual entry for X". I am not sure if this will be the forum to ask question regarding X Windows/Server. But if you can provide assistance in setting this DISPLAY environmental variable, it will great.
> ;-)

Two things to try:
1) Set DISPLAY to "localhost:0". Outdated syntax, but should still work.
2) If that fails, "echo $DISPLAY" on the working account and use the
same value for the others.

Keith

* RE: insight GUI not working!
@ 2004-07-16 13:43 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-16 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhagat, Vivek; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 06:31, Bhagat, Vivek wrote:
> Yes, what I meant about "gdb console window" was command line gdb. No
> there are no errors or anything. I checked all my permissions under
> /opt/insight directory and they are all fine.

Ok, that's a good start.

> But when you say "Is DISPLAY set?" what does that mean? Can you
> explain or point me to the documentation where I could get direction
> on actually going and setting my DISPLAY. I think may be it's this
> display thing that is not configured properly.

DISPLAY is an environment variable used by X Windows to determine what
physical (or virtual) display to use. This is how you can run any X
application (like insight, xterm, xmtr, etc) on one machine and have it
display on a monitor attached to a different workstation.

From your shell, type "echo $DISPLAY". You should see something like
"localhost:0" or something. If not, set DISPLAY according to the
instructions on the X man page ("man X"; look for section "DISPLAY
NAMES").

Of course, the other simple test of whether or not DISPLAY is set is to
run some other X application. Do other X applications work?

Keith

* RE: insight GUI not working!
@ 2004-07-16 13:31 Bhagat, Vivek
From: Bhagat, Vivek @ 2004-07-16 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Keith Seitz'; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

Yes, what I meant about "gdb console window" was command line gdb. No there are no errors or anything. I checked all my permissions under /opt/insight directory and they are all fine.
But when you say "Is DISPLAY set?" what does that mean? Can you explain or point me to the documentation where I could get direction on actually going and setting my DISPLAY. I think may be it's this display thing that is not configured properly.
Regards,

Vivek

From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-07-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhagat, Vivek; +Cc: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 06:03, Bhagat, Vivek wrote:
> I am running insight-5.2.1-249 on SuSE 9 Pro and I have all the tools need to run the debugger. But the problem is insight only works for only one user account and for rest of my user account when I run it from the shell window, I only get the gdb console window and GUI does not open up.
> Is it something with my insight configuration that is prohibiting other users to open up insight GUI?
> If anyone can help me out with this it will be a great help?

When you say "gdb console window" what do you mean? You get command-line
gdb in your terminal window or you get Insight's Console Window but no
source window? I'll assume it's the former and not the latter.
[Actually, if it is the latter, try erasing your ~/.gdbtkinit file.]

Are there any errors displayed when insight is started from a
non-working account? Is DISPLAY set?

Perhaps it is a permissions problem with the installation?

I just cannot think of any other reason why an X application would run
for one user and not another. This isn't windows, after all. ;-)

Keith

* insight GUI not working!
@ 2004-07-16 13:03 Bhagat, Vivek
From: Bhagat, Vivek @ 2004-07-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'insight@sources.redhat.com'

I am running insight-5.2.1-249 on SuSE 9 Pro and I have all the tools need to run the debugger. But the problem is insight only works for only one user account and for rest of my user account when I run it from the shell window, I only get the gdb console window and GUI does not open up.
Is it something with my insight configuration that is prohibiting other users to open up insight GUI?
If anyone can help me out with this it will be a great help?
Thanks,

-Vivek