public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Debug shared library
@ 2004-08-16 18:48 Schifanella Rossano
From: Schifanella Rossano @ 2004-08-16 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,
I wrote a simple Java application and I use JNI for implementing native
code written in C. I created a shared library and I load it from a Java
class. How I can debug my shared library in such context?  More
generally speaking, how I can debug a shared library (loaded by a
program not written in C) ?

Thanks in advance
Rossano S.

* Re: Debug shared library
@ 2004-08-16 19:04 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-08-16 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schifanella Rossano; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:51, Schifanella Rossano wrote:
> I wrote a simple Java application and I use JNI for implementing native
> code written in C. I created a shared library and I load it from a Java
> class. How I can debug my shared library in such context?  More
> generally speaking, how I can debug a shared library (loaded by a
> program not written in C) ?

I'm no authority on this (and you're really better off asking on the gdb
mailing list, where the real experts are hiding), but I'll mention what
I've done...

I wait for the shared library to be loaded, then set a break in it.
This, of course, means that you'll have to wait for the dlopen to
complete. This isn't usually quite so difficult as it is annoying.

However, as I recall, there should be some new gdb feature, pending
breakpoints. In GDB 6.1:
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_6.html#IDX151

You should be able to use this, but you'll have to set it in the
console, since Insight itself does not yet understand these.

Keith

* Re: Debug shared library
@ 2004-08-18  9:36   ` Evan Lavelle
From: Evan Lavelle @ 2004-08-18  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Schifanella Rossano, insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

> However, as I recall, there should be some new gdb feature, pending
> breakpoints. In GDB 6.1:
> http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_6.html#IDX151
>
> You should be able to use this, but you'll have to set it in the
> console, since Insight itself does not yet understand these.

Wind Li submitted a patch to let Insight handle this, but I haven't had
a chance to try it yet:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00022.html

Evan

* Re: Debug shared library
@ 2004-08-18 14:58     ` Keith Seitz
       [not found]       ` <41353E4E.3000903@sun.com>
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-08-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Lavelle; +Cc: Schifanella Rossano, insight

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 02:36, Evan Lavelle wrote:

> Wind Li submitted a patch to let Insight handle this, but I haven't had
> a chance to try it yet:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00022.html

Yup, I still have it in my inbox, too, awaiting resolution of the
insight/FSF contribution debacle. Once that is resolved, all I'll need
is an FSF assignment from Wind Li to incorporate it.

I haven't forgotten. My hands are just tied. :-(
Keith

* Re: Debug shared library
       [not found]       ` <41353E4E.3000903@sun.com>
@ 2004-09-01 16:56         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-09-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wind Li; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 20:13, Wind Li wrote:

> What kind of assignment it should be? But any way I would like to give it.

If the issue is ever resolved, and I haven't a clue when that would be,
you would need an FSF assignment, just as if you had made the
contributions to binutils, gcc, gdb, or any other FSF-owned project.

Keith