public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* How to build Insight 6.1 GUI under Mac OS X?
@ 2004-09-16  9:49 Hermann-Simon Lichte
From: Hermann-Simon Lichte @ 2004-09-16  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello everybody,

Are there any special arguments which need to be supplied to `configure', so
that Insight 6.1 is built with its GUI rather than just the command line
interface?

During configure I keep getting:

creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.5.0
checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-eabi
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.5.0
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     tk itcl libgui
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

A couple of months ago I successfully built Insight 5.3.something under Mac
OS X with its graphical user interface.  At that time, I just ran configure
with the --target and --prefix arguments and everything was fine.

Does anybody know what's going wrong?  I'm using XDarwin installed by Fink,
but I also tried compilation with Apple's X11.  No luck at all.  If you need
some more information about my system configuration, let me know.

Regards,
Hermann-Simon Lichte

* Re: How to build Insight 6.1 GUI under Mac OS X?
@ 2004-09-16 16:14 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-09-16 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hermann-Simon Lichte; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 02:49, Hermann-Simon Lichte wrote:
> Are there any special arguments which need to be supplied to `configure', so
> that Insight 6.1 is built with its GUI rather than just the command line
> interface?

No, but it looks like src/configure.in was changed to disallow building
of those things on Macs. [I presume the MacOS X triple is something like
*-*-darwin?]

In src/configure.in:
# Remove more programs from consideration, based on the host or
# target this usually means that a port of the program doesn't
# exist yet.

case "${host}" in
#[snip]
  *-*-darwin*)
    noconfigdirs="$noconfigdirs tk itcl libgui"
    ;;
esac

From what I can quickly decipher, it's been that way quite a while.

In any case, just erase or comment out that nonconfigdirs line,
regenerate configure, and reconfigure and rebuild, and you should be
set.

Keith

* RE: How to build Insight 6.1 GUI under Mac OS X?
       [not found] <80464F9A4D2BF042A154DD067F1F539302727D71@CEL-BANGT-M01>
@ 2004-09-23 16:42 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-09-23 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KiranKumar B Shivananda; +Cc: Hermann-Simon Lichte, insight

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 02:13, KiranKumar B Shivananda wrote:
> I have written some itcl/itk  files. Then added as plugin to insight.
>
> Are there any  specific changes that I have to make in tcl files, so
> that it works fine in insight-6.0 also

My knowledge of Insight 5.3 is fading quickly. Ok, its long gone. I
really don't remember much about it any more.

However, the only thing that I can think of that changed between then
and now is our tcl version. We moved from Tcl/Tk 8.1 to Tcl/Tk 8.4.
There were almost certainly changes in various gdb tcl commands and
APIs, too. I don't know off the top of my head whether any of those
changes would impact a plug-in, but it is a (small) possibility.

There may have been some clean up in the plug-in architecture, but
src/gdb/gdbtk/plugins/HOW-TO should cover everything that is needed.
Whether that file is the same in 5.3 as it is in 6.0, I cannot recall
now. :-(

Is there a specific problem you are having getting your plug-in to work
on 6.0?

Keith