public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* step is not working
@ 2005-07-28 19:57 Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo
From: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo @ 2005-07-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

   I've just installed insight on my linux and tested it.
   It worked fine when I run the application. But a problem occur every
time  I want to
execute the code step by step. When I visualize the code in "ASSEMBLY",
it works pretty
good, but if I visualize the code in "SOURCE" the program don't run
well. When I press the
button "step" it stays on the same line and don't make any progress!!!
If  I put a
breakpoint (in other line) and press the  button "continue" it works well.
   What is happening with the step button?

PS: using the "console window" the error messages printed are:

(run)

Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory

(step)

Error: Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint -89.
Error accessing memory address 0x28640: Input/output error.

Thanks,
Jean

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-01 18:47 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-08-01 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 17:00 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I've just installed insight on my linux and tested it.
>    It worked fine when I run the application. But a problem occur every
> time  I want to
> execute the code step by step. When I visualize the code in "ASSEMBLY",
> it works pretty
> good, but if I visualize the code in "SOURCE" the program don't run
> well. When I press the
> button "step" it stays on the same line and don't make any progress!!!
> If  I put a
> breakpoint (in other line) and press the  button "continue" it works well.
>    What is happening with the step button?
>
> PS: using the "console window" the error messages printed are:

First thing to try is using command-line only gdb to make sure it works.
The errors you are seeing seems to indicate that there are some serious
problems with your configuration:

> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> /lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
> Error while mapping shared library sections:
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory
>
> (step)
>
> Error: Warning:
> Cannot insert breakpoint -89.
> Error accessing memory address 0x28640: Input/output error.

Try using gdb (i.e., without the GUI) and see if that works. If it does,
we'll work on figuring out what's up with your setup.

Keith

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-01 19:03   ` Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo
From: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo @ 2005-08-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 17:00 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>   I've just installed insight on my linux and tested it.
>>   It worked fine when I run the application. But a problem occur every
>>time  I want to
>>execute the code step by step. When I visualize the code in "ASSEMBLY",
>>it works pretty
>>good, but if I visualize the code in "SOURCE" the program don't run
>>well. When I press the
>>button "step" it stays on the same line and don't make any progress!!!
>>If  I put a
>>breakpoint (in other line) and press the  button "continue" it works well.
>>   What is happening with the step button?
>>
>>PS: using the "console window" the error messages printed are:
>>

>First thing to try is using command-line only gdb to make sure it works.
>The errors you are seeing seems to indicate that there are some serious
>problems with your configuration:

      I've already tried. It has worked well with the same code.

>>Error while mapping shared library sections:
>>/lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
>>Error while mapping shared library sections:
>>/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory
>>
>>(step)
>>
>>Error: Warning:
>>Cannot insert breakpoint -89.
>>Error accessing memory address 0x28640: Input/output error.
>>

>Try using gdb (i.e., without the GUI) and see if that works. If it does,
>we'll work on figuring out what's up with your setup.

    I'm afraid that the problem is on my configuration...

Thanks

>Keith

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-01 19:42     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-08-01 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 16:06 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:
> >First thing to try is using command-line only gdb to make sure it works.
> >The errors you are seeing seems to indicate that there are some serious
> >problems with your configuration:
> >

>       I've already tried. It has worked well with the same code.

Were you using the same versions of gdb & insight? (Just curious)

What's the output of "insight -v"? Have you tried a snapshot or CVS
HEAD?

Keith

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-01 19:52       ` Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo
From: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo @ 2005-08-01 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 16:06 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:
>

>>>First thing to try is using command-line only gdb to make sure it works.
>>>The errors you are seeing seems to indicate that there are some serious
>>>problems with your configuration:
>>>

>>      I've already tried. It has worked well with the same code.
>>

>Were you using the same versions of gdb & insight? (Just curious)

 Versions:

  gdb: GNU gdb 6.3-debian
  insight: GNU gdb 2004-08-11-cvs

PS: All programs were installed from a official debian mirror.

>What's the output of "insight -v"? Have you tried a snapshot or CVS
>HEAD?

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-01 20:12         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-08-01 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 16:55 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:

>  Versions:
>
>   gdb: GNU gdb 6.3-debian
>   insight: GNU gdb 2004-08-11-cvs
>
> PS: All programs were installed from a official debian mirror.

Zowie. That's pretty old. I don't suppose I could convince you to try a
snapshot?

Keith

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-02 19:51 ` Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo
From: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo @ 2005-08-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: insight

Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:

>Hi,
>
>   I've just installed insight on my linux and tested it.
>   It worked fine when I run the application. But a problem occur every
>time  I want to
>execute the code step by step. When I visualize the code in "ASSEMBLY",
>it works pretty
>good, but if I visualize the code in "SOURCE" the program don't run
>well. When I press the
>button "step" it stays on the same line and don't make any progress!!!
>If  I put a
>breakpoint (in other line) and press the  button "continue" it works well.
>   What is happening with the step button?
>
>PS: using the "console window" the error messages printed are:
>
>(run)
>
>Error while mapping shared library sections:
>/lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
>Error while mapping shared library sections:
>/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory

 I've found the libs listed above on the same directory(/libs/ and
/libs/tls/). Why Insight is not finding them?

* Re: step is not working
@ 2005-08-02 20:01   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-08-02 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 16:54 -0300, Jean Paulo Sandri Orengo wrote:

> >Error while mapping shared library sections:
> >/lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
> >Error while mapping shared library sections:
> >/lib/ld-linux.so.2: No such file or directory
> >
>  I've found the libs listed above on the same directory(/libs/ and
> /libs/tls/). Why Insight is not finding them?

These are gdb errors. (Gdb is the "backend"; insight is "just" a GUI on
top of gdb.)

You're best bet is to ask on the gdb mailing list.

Keith