public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight Debugger Help
@ 2005-08-03  7:11 j.burton
From: j.burton @ 2005-08-03  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello everybody,
I need some help configuring insight debugger (gdb 6.0)...
I'm using arm-elf-insight....
I can't debug files using simulator as target device

It gives me sometime a Virtual Memory Low error and others times it only
say: can't find executable and it exits from the program window....

Could someone help me to configure it correctly?
I can't find documentation on it that talks about simulator as target device....

PS with my real device it works fine, eventhough I can't do however a serious
debug---I mean look at registers value, turn on break point,  look at var
values, etc.... It only puts out the program output....

Thanks for your help....

Roberto .. Italy

TISCALI ADSL 1.25 MEGA
Solo con Tiscali Adsl navighi senza limiti e telefoni senza canone Telecom
a partire da 19,95 Euro/mese.
Attivala entro il 31 agosto, il primo MESE è GRATIS! CLICCA QUI.
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/sa/1e25flat_tc/

* Re: Insight Debugger Help
@ 2005-08-03 20:29 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-08-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.burton; +Cc: insight

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 09:11 +0200, j.burton@tiscali.it wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I need some help configuring insight debugger (gdb 6.0)...
> I'm using arm-elf-insight....
> I can't debug files using simulator as target device

Zowie! 6.0 is very, very old. I would very much recommend trying a newer
version (or CVS HEAD/snapshot). My memory is failing on this subject,
but I seem to recall quite a few arm-elf problems with gdb around that
time (but I could be mistaken).

> It gives me sometime a Virtual Memory Low error and others times it only
> say: can't find executable and it exits from the program window....

Hmm. Doesn't sound good. Insight (the gui) seldom crashes/exits
abnormally (or abruptly). In most cases gdb (the "backend") does this.

So let's start with the output of "insight --version". Other thing to
try is running with "insight -nw" (or "insight --i=console") and seeing
if you can manually attach to the simulator and run it. If you do this,
could you please cut and paste the entire session into an email for the
list? That would be very helpful.

Note also that many simulators require you to recompile the code for the
simulator, linking against a simulator-specific library. (In other
words, the same executable often -- not always -- does not run on both
hardware and the simulator.)

Keith