public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
       [not found] <121fadb80906291848y61466ae6yd167e6a03321d9fa@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-07-06 22:04 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-07-06 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel tian; +Cc: insight

daniel tian wrote:
> How can I make it?

I'm assuming you are talking about GCC.

If your files are compiled with the correct debugging flags (typically
"-g"), then gdb and insight should find your files.

Are the (relevant) compile flags the same as MIPS and ARM? You might
have better luck asking GCC-savvy people (ie., that mailing list).

Keith

* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
@ 2009-07-07  2:04   ` daniel tian
From: daniel tian @ 2009-07-07  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

2009/7/7 Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>:
> daniel tian wrote:
>> How can I make it?
>
> I'm assuming you are talking about GCC.
>
> If your files are compiled with the correct debugging flags (typically
> "-g"), then gdb and insight should find your files.
>
> Are the (relevant) compile flags the same as MIPS and ARM? You might
> have better luck asking GCC-savvy people (ie., that mailing list).
>
> Keith

Thank you.
But I have already asked in GCC maillist about the same question. They
suggested I should send the question in Insight/GCC maillist.
I should the same compile flags with MIPS and ARM. But md file will
appear when I debug ARM/MIPS cc1 file with insight. My port doesn't.
So I wonder there is something I missed.

Thank you very much.

* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
@ 2009-07-07  2:10     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-07-07  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel tian; +Cc: insight

daniel tian wrote:
> But I have already asked in GCC maillist about the same question. They
> suggested I should send the question in Insight/GCC maillist.
> I should the same compile flags with MIPS and ARM. But md file will
> appear when I debug ARM/MIPS cc1 file with insight. My port doesn't.
> So I wonder there is something I missed.

Does it work with "normal" gdb at all? If not, it must be either a gdb
problem (gdb cannot locate the file) or a compile time problem (no debug
info or something).

Can you show me a gdb (command line: insight --i=console) session
demonstrating the problem? I might be able to help figure out what's
gone wrong.

Keith

* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
@ 2009-07-07  2:39       ` daniel tian
From: daniel tian @ 2009-07-07  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

2009/7/7 Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>:
> daniel tian wrote:
>>
>> But I have already asked in GCC maillist about the same question. They
>> suggested I should send the question in Insight/GCC maillist.
>> I should the same compile flags with MIPS and ARM. But md file will
>> appear when I debug ARM/MIPS cc1 file with insight. My port doesn't.
>> So I wonder there is something I missed.
>
> Does it work with "normal" gdb at all? If not, it must be either a gdb
> problem (gdb cannot locate the file) or a compile time problem (no debug
> info or something).
>
> Can you show me a gdb (command line: insight --i=console) session
> demonstrating the problem? I might be able to help figure out what's gone
> wrong.
>
> Keith

I didn't used the normal gdb command mode. I just type the Insight
command, and run it, then open my cc1 file.
Here is my compiling command:

export CFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'
export LIBCFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'
export BOOT_CFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'
mkdir build-rice-gcc
cd build-rice-gcc
 ../repos-gcc-4.0.2/configure --target=rice --enable-languages=c
--with-dwarf2 --no-libgcc

When target replaced with MIPS/ARM, machine description (*.md) file
will appear. PS, my target is named "rice".
Maybe there is something missed in configure file like config.sub,
config.gcc or makefile. I just don't know how. So maybe your guys met
the same problem before. I have to say the md file is not a pure C
file.

Thanks.

                                daniel tian

* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
@ 2009-07-07  2:49         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-07-07  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel tian; +Cc: insight

daniel tian wrote:

> I didn't used the normal gdb command mode. I just type the Insight
> command, and run it, then open my cc1 file.

Change of tack: whenever you get somewhere you expect to see you .md
file, open the console window and type "list". What does that say?
Also, can you tell me what you do to reproduce the problem?

If you give me a target triple and a test procedure, I can try to
reproduce a working case here and use that to troubleshoot your
scenario. Did you say some variety of arm worked?

> Here is my compiling command:
>
> export CFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'
> export LIBCFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'
> export BOOT_CFLAGS='-gdwarf-2 -g3'

You should not need to specify -gdwarf-2 and -g3 (that I know). On most
targets, -g will default to outputting dwarf 2. Just to eliminate the
possibility (and I'm not saying that specifying both will do anything
wrong), try just using "-g" -- at least while we try to debug this.

> I have to say the md file is not a pure C file.

That should not matter as long as the compiler (and assembler, if
assembly is involved) are outputting debug info. I suspect they are not,
but again, I don't know anything about gcc .md files or how they are used.

Keith

* Re: About machine.md in Insight Gdb in GCC porting
@ 2009-07-07  9:38           ` daniel tian
From: daniel tian @ 2009-07-07  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Hi:

> Change of tack: whenever you get somewhere you expect to see you .md file,
> open the console window and type "list". What does that say?
> Also, can you tell me what you do to reproduce the problem?
>
> If you give me a target triple and a test procedure, I can try to reproduce
> a working case here and use that to troubleshoot your scenario. Did you say
> some variety of arm worked?

I have tried in both GDB and Insight, the md file doesn't appear. The
list you mentioned is at left-top of the Insight GUI?
There is no such file in that list.
I don't know what 's the "a target triple " mean. Sorry.

> You should not need to specify -gdwarf-2 and -g3 (that I know). On most
> targets, -g will default to outputting dwarf 2. Just to eliminate the
> possibility (and I'm not saying that specifying both will do anything
> wrong), try just using "-g" -- at least while we try to debug this.

You solution seems to make sense, but I 've already tried your
solution to remove the -gdwarf-2 and -g3  flag.
And the md file still does not appear in Insight.

> That should not matter as long as the compiler (and assembler, if assembly
> is involved) are outputting debug info. I suspect they are not, but again, I
> don't know anything about gcc .md files or how they are used.

There is no assembler. it compile the c language to my machine assemble.
MD file is compounded with RTL (GCC intermediate language), which used
to describe machine instruction pattern, and C language.

HiThanks.