public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* problems installing on solaris
@ 1999-10-26  7:16 Erik Sobel
From: Erik Sobel @ 1999-10-26  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I just did a fresh install of insight on solaris.  When I try to execute it
I get the following error

"Tk_Init failed: invalid command name "tcl_findLibrary"

Does anyone know how to fix it?  Sounds like a path issue or possibly a
Tcl/Tk version issue?

Thanks,

Erik Sobel
------------------------------
Erik Sobel
esobel@alphatech.com
erik.sobel@alphatech.com
------------------------------

* Re: problems installing on solaris
@ 1999-10-26  7:23 ` laurent.duperval
From: laurent.duperval @ 1999-10-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik.sobel; +Cc: insight

On 26 Oct, Erik Sobel wrote:
> I just did a fresh install of insight on solaris.  When I try to execute it
> I get the following error
>
> "Tk_Init failed: invalid command name "tcl_findLibrary"
>
> Does anyone know how to fix it?  Sounds like a path issue or possibly a
> Tcl/Tk version issue?

Yes. According to the changes file, the first correct implementation of that
function would be in 8.0.4. It's defined in the int.tcl file.

Penguin Power!

Laurent Duperval
CGI - FWFM Project
Phone: (514) 350-3368
mailto:laurent.duperval@cgi.ca

* Re: problems installing on solaris
@ 1999-10-26  9:30 ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 1999-10-26  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Sobel; +Cc: insight

Erik,

This is usually a sign that you have found another tcl library from an
older version of Tcl somewhere out on your disk.  Make sure you have
not set TCL_LIBRARY or TK_LIBRARY in your environment.  That is the
most common culprit.

Jim

@ 1999-10-26 12:22   ` Erik Sobel
From: Erik Sobel @ 1999-10-26 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Thanks for your responses.  I updated from 8.0.2 to 8.2, then re-installed
insight, but still got the same error. I looked in
/insight/tcl/library/init.tcl (not int.tcl) and found the proc
tcl_findLibrary but I don't know which library it is supposed to end up in
and whether it is on my path.

I also verified that I have no TCL_LIBRARY or TK_LIBRARY variables in my
environment.
-Erik

@ 1999-10-26 12:38     ` laurent.duperval
From: laurent.duperval @ 1999-10-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik.sobel; +Cc: insight

On 26 Oct, Erik Sobel wrote:
> Thanks for your responses.  I updated from 8.0.2 to 8.2, then re-installed
> insight, but still got the same error. I looked in
> /insight/tcl/library/init.tcl (not int.tcl) and found the proc
> tcl_findLibrary but I don't know which library it is supposed to end up in
> and whether it is on my path.

When you reinstalled, where did you reinstall? Is insight *really* using the
version you installed? You can see that by looking at the output of
configure. Also, make sure, when you recompile insight, that you remove all
information that may have remained from the previous build. To do so, try:

make distclean

and redo the configure/make cycle.

> I also verified that I have no TCL_LIBRARY or TK_LIBRARY variables in my
> environment.

Fair enough. This means that your setup is incorrect. I suggest that you do
something like:

./configure | tee Output

and if things don't work out, send the (compressed) Output to me or to the
list and maybe we can see something in there.

@ 1999-10-26 12:40     ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 1999-10-26 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Sobel; +Cc: insight

Erik,

Did you actually install insight, or did you just run it from the
build tree?

The init.tcl that you want should be in prefix/share/tcl in the
installed version of the software.

Two things to note:

1) You have to use the version of Tcl/Tk that comes with gdb for now.
You can't use one of the Scriptics versions.

2) On some systems, to run from the build tree you have to actually be
in the directory where the gdb executible is.

Jim

You can run gdb from the build tree, but this is somewhat flakier tha

--
++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++
Jim Ingham                                              jingham@cygnus.com

* Re: problems installing on solaris
@ 1999-10-26 13:09       ` laurent.duperval
From: laurent.duperval @ 1999-10-26 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jingham; +Cc: erik.sobel, insight

On 26 Oct, James Ingham wrote:
> Erik,
>
> Did you actually install insight, or did you just run it from the
> build tree?
>
> The init.tcl that you want should be in prefix/share/tcl in the
> installed version of the software.
>
> Two things to note:
>
> 1) You have to use the version of Tcl/Tk that comes with gdb for now.
> You can't use one of the Scriptics versions.

Ooops. Never mind whatever I've said earlier.