public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight bug
@ 2000-04-21 15:11 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-04-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

I got a Tcl stack trace in the console window when I ran gdb just now.
It is appended.

I'm running it on a Java program.  One weirdness is that gcj-built
Java programs don't have a real main().  Instead, gcj creates a main()
at link time and then deletes the corresponding source.

Tom

bad PanedWindow index "pane1": must be number, end, or pattern
    while executing
"error "bad PanedWindow index \"$index\": must be number, end, or pattern""
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.p" method "::cyg::PanedWindow::index" body line 15)
    invoked from within
"index $index"
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.p" method "::cyg::PanedWindow::hide" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"$itk_interior.p hide $oldpane"
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con" method "::SrcTextWin::LoadFromCache" body line 55)
    invoked from within
"LoadFromCache $w $name "" $lib"
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con" method "::SrcTextWin::LoadFile" body line 7)
    invoked from within
"LoadFile $w $filename $lib $mtime"
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con" method "::SrcTextWin::FillSource" body line 12)
    invoked from within
"FillSource t $tagname $filename $funcname $line $addr $pc_addr $lib"
    ("SOURCE" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"switch $current(mode) {
    SOURCE {
      FillSource t $tagname $filename $funcname $line $addr $pc_addr $lib
    }
    ASSEMBLY {
      FillAssembly..."
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con" method "::SrcTextWin::location" body line 26)
    invoked from within
"$twin location $tag $name $funcname $line $addr $pc_addr $lib"
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin" method "::SrcWin::location" body line 52)
    invoked from within
"$src location BROWSE_TAG [list $linespec]"
    (procedure "::SrcWin::point_to_main" body line 9)
    invoked from within
"SrcWin::point_to_main"
    (procedure "gdbtk_tcl_preloop" line 13)
    invoked from within
"gdbtk_tcl_preloop"
(gdb)

* Re: insight bug
@ 2000-04-24 11:07 ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 2000-04-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: Insight List

Tom,

You have reported this bug before in numerous guises.  It is the one
bug I really want to fix over the next week.  I had hoped to be able
to rewrite this whole module, it badly needs it, but looks like I have
to find the right sized bandage instead.

Jim

* Re: insight bug
@ 2000-11-27 19:11   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-11-27 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: Insight List

>> Here's an insight bug: if I introduce a Tcl bug into the insight
>> startup process, I get a blank window but nothing else.  It would
>> be nice if Insight fully died and printed the Tcl stack trace to
>> stderr.

Fernando> It would be nice (at least when it is started from a
Fernando> console).

I looked at gdbtk/library/main.tcl and found that I can set
GDBTK_DEBUGFILE to `stdout' or a file name and log messages, including
errors, will go there.

`stderr' doesn't work.  Patch to follow shortly.

Tom

* Re: insight bug
@ 2000-11-27 16:57     ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: insight

Tom Tromey wrote:

> FYI I gave myself write access to the Insight Gnats database.  If this
> offends you, complain.

Not at all.  You are welcome (back).

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: insight bug
@ 2000-11-27 16:51 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-27 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: Insight List

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Here's an insight bug: if I introduce a Tcl bug into the insight
> startup process, I get a blank window but nothing else.  It would be
> nice if Insight fully died and printed the Tcl stack trace to stderr.

It would be nice (at least when it is started from a console).

> Is there an Insight Gnats database?  Does it share the gdb Gnats
> database?  If so, should I report bugs there?  If not, do we want a
> Gnats database?  I can make one with little trouble.

Yes.  Just follow the Insight link in sources.redhat.com  and go to
the Bugs section.

> My feeling is that it would be best to use the gdb database if the gdb
> maintainers are willing.  Whether or not they will be, I don't know.
>
> [ Ok, I looked, and the gdb Gnats database only has a single "gdb"
> category.  So I guess Insight doesn't use it.  Should someone ask the
> gdb maintainers if we can make an insight category?  I can do the work
> once I have the authorization... ]

We do have it.  There are about 60 bugs reported, many of them already
closed.

I work on answer the PR whenever I can (I was always from Insight work these
last three weeks, but I expect to be back into it as of this Wednesday).

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: insight bug
@ 2000-11-27 16:46   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-11-27 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Chris> Insight has a separate database:
Chris> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=insight

Hey, how did I miss this?  I even looked on sourceware for it... sigh.

Chris> It probably would make sense to just add an insight category to
Chris> gdb's GNATS database but, for now, it might be expedient to
Chris> keep them separate.

I understand.

@ 2000-11-27 16:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2000-11-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Insight List

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 05:45:26PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
>Here's an insight bug: if I introduce a Tcl bug into the insight
>startup process, I get a blank window but nothing else.  It would be
>nice if Insight fully died and printed the Tcl stack trace to stderr.
>
>Is there an Insight Gnats database?  Does it share the gdb Gnats
>database?  If so, should I report bugs there?  If not, do we want a
>Gnats database?  I can make one with little trouble.
>
>My feeling is that it would be best to use the gdb database if the gdb
>maintainers are willing.  Whether or not they will be, I don't know.
>
>[ Ok, I looked, and the gdb Gnats database only has a single "gdb"
>category.  So I guess Insight doesn't use it.  Should someone ask the
>gdb maintainers if we can make an insight category?  I can do the work
>once I have the authorization... ]

Insight has a separate database:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?database=insight

It probably would make sense to just add an insight category to gdb's
GNATS database but, for now, it might be expedient to keep them
separate.

cgf

* insight bug
@ 2000-11-27 16:36 Tom Tromey