public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-17 17:06 Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-17 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin32, Insight (GDB GUI)

A little while ago a aske the following:

 > I downloaded insight-19990802.tar.gz last night and manged to compile
 > native linux version and a native-powerpc-eabi version (ie.
 > cross-debugger running on linux but targeting powerpc-eabi).  Great.
 >
 > I tried doing a Canadian build (build=i586-linux, host=i586-cygwin32,

 > target=powerpc-eabi).  It eventually died complaining that it
couldn't
 > find termcap.h or tcap.h (one of these anyway).  Now I'm not sure if
 > configured it wrong or am missing a file.  I think I used the
following
 > configure options (--with-headers=<newlib-path>/newlib/libc/include
 > --with-newlib) which may have confused it.
 > Do I need to use these options ?
 > Does the canadian build use the header files from the native
cross-tools
 > directories (eg. /usr/local/gcc/powerpc-eabi/include in my case) ?

James Ingham replied with:

> Anyway, newer versions of readline use termcap, so you will have to
> have the termcap libraries in the target support for your cross
> compiler.  Newer versions of Cygwin do include it (like the snapshots
> from sourceware) so you should be able to copy the libtermcap bits
> from there.  There should be appropriate configury bits there as
well...

I had a look on the sourceware for the new cygwin sources.  I found lots
of snapshots around 4MB in size.  I built my cygwin cross compiler
following Mumit Khan's howto.  It said to download the Cygwin dev
sources which are around 27MB in size.  I thought I needed an update of
this but there is only one on sourceware and it is quite old (the same
one that I have already got).  What is the difference between the dev
sources and the other snapshot soureces ?  Which ones do I need to build
an up to date cygwin package on a Linux host ?  I want to be able to
build the latest Insight code.  Are there any other pacages I need.  I
don't really want to build on a Win32 box, but would like to know if any
extra packages are required to do this (just incase I get real
desperate).

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.

* Re: Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-17 19:59 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-17 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brendan Simon; +Cc: CygWin32, Insight (GDB GUI)

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 10:06:16AM +1000, Brendan Simon wrote:
>>I downloaded insight-19990802.tar.gz last night and manged to compile a
>>native linux version and a native-powerpc-eabi version (ie.
>>cross-debugger running on linux but targeting powerpc-eabi).  Great.
>>
>>I tried doing a Canadian build (build=i586-linux, host=i586-cygwin32,
>>target=powerpc-eabi).  It eventually died complaining that it couldn't
>>find termcap.h or tcap.h (one of these anyway).  Now I'm not sure if I
>>configured it wrong or am missing a file.  I think I used the
>following configure options
>(--with-headers=<newlib-path>/newlib/libc/include
>>--with-newlib) which may have confused it.  Do I need to use these
>>options ?  Does the canadian build use the header files from the native
>>cross-tools directories (eg.  /usr/local/gcc/powerpc-eabi/include in my
>>case) ?
>
>James Ingham replied with:
>
>>Anyway, newer versions of readline use termcap, so you will have to
>>have the termcap libraries in the target support for your cross
>>compiler.  Newer versions of Cygwin do include it (like the snapshots
>>from sourceware) so you should be able to copy the libtermcap bits from
>>there.  There should be appropriate configury bits there as
>well...

Actually, the B20.1 sources should include the libtermcap directory.
Are you saying that it isn't there?

>I had a look on the sourceware for the new cygwin sources.  I found
>lots of snapshots around 4MB in size.  I built my cygwin cross compiler
>following Mumit Khan's howto.  It said to download the Cygwin dev
>sources which are around 27MB in size.  I thought I needed an update of
>this but there is only one on sourceware and it is quite old (the same
>one that I have already got).  What is the difference between the dev
>sources and the other snapshot soureces ?  Which ones do I need to
>build an up to date cygwin package on a Linux host ?  I want to be able
>to build the latest Insight code.  Are there any other pacages I need.
>I don't really want to build on a Win32 box, but would like to know if
>any extra packages are required to do this (just incase I get real
>desperate).

I'm not sure why you're not just downloading the prebuilt binaries
from Mumit's site.  It would save you a lot of time, it seems.

-chris

* Re: Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-17 20:39   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-08-17 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brendan Simon, Insight (GDB GUI)

Chris Faylor <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com> writes:

> I'm not sure why you're not just downloading the prebuilt binaries
> from Mumit's site.  It would save you a lot of time, it seems.

I believe Brendan is looking at supporting other targets, so needs to
build it locally.

Brendan, the easiest way to get the runtime support is find a machine
with Cygwin installed, and just grab the includes and libraries from
/Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/{include,lib} and you should be all
set.

If you want to build it locally without having to download the whole
bit, here's how (untested, but the basics are there ;-): download
the following "split" components from sourceware Cygwin site[1]:

  toplevel.tar.bz2
  config.tar.gz2
  etc.tar.gz
  include.tar.gz
  libiberty.tar.gz
  newlib.tar.gz
  winsup.tar.gz

[1] ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/cygwin-latest/src-by-top-dir/

Now unpack all of this in some directory, say cygwin-b20 and build/install
using your cross-compiler. Of course, unless you already have cross
compiler going, there may be a chicken and egg problem -- to build the
cross-compiler, you need the runtime; to build the runtime, you need to
the cross-compiler. If you already have a cross-compiler, you should
already have the runtime, right?

Since you may need termcap, also download the libtermcap.tar.bz2, which
has some modifications to support "cygwin" terminal type.

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-17 21:36     ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-08-17 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin, Insight (GDB GUI)

Mumit Khan wrote:

> Brendan, the easiest way to get the runtime support is find a machine
> with Cygwin installed, and just grab the includes and libraries from
> /Cygnus/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/{include,lib} and you should be all
> set.
>
> If you want to build it locally without having to download the whole
> bit, here's how (untested, but the basics are there ;-): download
> the following "split" components from sourceware Cygwin site[1]:
>
>   toplevel.tar.bz2
>   config.tar.gz2
>   etc.tar.gz
>   include.tar.gz
>   libiberty.tar.gz
>   newlib.tar.gz
>   winsup.tar.gz
>
> [1] ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/cygwin-latest/src-by-top-dir/
>
> Now unpack all of this in some directory, say cygwin-b20 and build/install
> using your cross-compiler. Of course, unless you already have cross
> compiler going, there may be a chicken and egg problem -- to build the
> cross-compiler, you need the runtime; to build the runtime, you need to
> the cross-compiler. If you already have a cross-compiler, you should
> already have the runtime, right?

I have already built a linux hosted powerpc-eabi targeted cross-compiler.  I
have also built a cygwin hosted powerpc-eabi targeted cross-compiler (this
was built on a linux machine following Mumit's howto - thanks).  I previously
built the linux-cygwin cross-compiler using the dev-cygwin sources.  I assume
that I don't need the "src-by-top-dir" for this case.

> Since you may need termcap, also download the libtermcap.tar.bz2, which
> has some modifications to support "cygwin" terminal type.

This is the bit that I think I'm missing.  Apparently this is part of newer
cygwin releases/snapshots which is what I was trying to find, but I got
confused between the dev-cygwin sources and other cygwin sources.  OK, so I
will get the libtermcap.tar.bz2 package and see what happens.  BTW. Is this
package a cygwin only package or is it a generic package for all posix
compliant APIs ?

@ 1999-08-17 22:19       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 1999-08-17 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brendan; +Cc: cygwin, Insight (GDB GUI)

Brendan Simon wrote:

> > Since you may need termcap, also download the libtermcap.tar.bz2, which
> > has some modifications to support "cygwin" terminal type.
>
> This is the bit that I think I'm missing.  Apparently this is part of newer
> cygwin releases/snapshots which is what I was trying to find, but I got
> confused between the dev-cygwin sources and other cygwin sources.  OK, so I
> will get the libtermcap.tar.bz2 package and see what happens.  BTW. Is this
> package a cygwin only package or is it a generic package for all posix
> compliant APIs ?

It's BSD's termcap so yes.

	Andrew

* Re: Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-18 15:31       ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-18 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brendan Simon; +Cc: cygwin, Insight (GDB GUI)

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 02:37:02PM +1000, Brendan Simon wrote:
>BTW.  Is this package a cygwin only package or is it a generic package
>for all posix compliant APIs ?

It is the GNU termcap sources.

cgf

* Re: Canadian build of Insight
@ 1999-08-18 15:49         ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-08-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brendan Simon, cygwin, Insight (GDB GUI)

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 06:33:32PM -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 02:37:02PM +1000, Brendan Simon wrote:
>>BTW.  Is this package a cygwin only package or is it a generic package
>>for all posix compliant APIs ?
>
>It is the GNU termcap sources.

Sorry.  It's the BSD sources as someone else has mentioned.

-chris