public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* A few questions
@ 1999-09-16 16:29 lduperval
From: lduperval @ 1999-09-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Maling List

Hi,

I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions:

- Is it possible to save my breakpoints? When I debug a program, I'd ike
  to reload the same breakpoints I had the last time. Especially since
  debugging that program makes gdb crash...

- How do I pass command line parameters to the program I'm debugging? In
  cli mode I can do "run params" but how does it work with th GUI?

I'm using a July release (I've a slow connection). If the above is
available in the most recent release, let me know and i'll just hog the
phone line a little more.

Thanks!

Penguin Power!

mailto:lduperval@sprint.ca

* Re: A few questions
@ 1999-09-16 16:41 ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 1999-09-16 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lduperval; +Cc: Insight Maling List

lduperval@sprint.ca writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions:
 >
 > - Is it possible to save my breakpoints? When I debug a program, I'd ike
 >   to reload the same breakpoints I had the last time. Especially since
 >   debugging that program makes gdb crash...

Bring up the breakpoints window, and choose:

Global->Save Breakpoints

This writes a gdb command file with the breakpoints in it.  This
command doesn't yet store away the commands and conditions, but that
would not be too hard to hack in...

There is an equivalent restore breakpoints entry.

 > - How do I pass command line parameters to the program I'm debugging? In
 >   cli mode I can do "run params" but how does it work with th GUI?

Couple of ways.  You can do:

(gdb) set args whatever

in the console window before you run.

Or you can bring up the Target Settings dialog (File->Target
Settings), set the target to exec, and enter the args in the magical
Args box that will appear below the target dropdown.

 > I'm using a July release (I've a slow connection). If the above is
 > available in the most recent release, let me know and i'll just hog the
 > phone line a little more.

I think you should have both of these.

Jim

P.S. If you can get a reproducible case which crashes gdb, please send
it to us.  We will try to fix it.

Jim

--
++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++==++
Jim Ingham                                              jingham@cygnus.com

* Re: A few questions
@ 1999-09-16 19:40   ` lduperval
From: lduperval @ 1999-09-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Maling List

On 16 Sep, James Ingham wrote:
> lduperval@sprint.ca writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions:
>  >
>  > - Is it possible to save my breakpoints? When I debug a program, I'd ike
>  >   to reload the same breakpoints I had the last time. Especially since
>  >   debugging that program makes gdb crash...
>
> Bring up the breakpoints window, and choose:
>
> Global->Save Breakpoints

Ugh... Didn't look hard enough.

> Or you can bring up the Target Settings dialog (File->Target
> Settings), set the target to exec, and enter the args in the magical
> Args box that will appear below the target dropdown.

Ok.

> P.S. If you can get a reproducible case which crashes gdb, please send
> it to us.  We will try to fix it.

Hmmm, doubt it. If you're interested, we can take this offline and I can
explain to you how I make it crash.

Penguin Power!

mailto:lduperval@sprint.ca