public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* How do you start insight
@ 1999-11-10 23:18 martinj
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: martinj @ 1999-11-10 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Just purchased GNUPro C,C++.

As near as I can tell it installed OK.

It appears to have installed a bunch
of stuff I already had with RedHat 6.1
with the exception of this Insight Viusal
Debugger.

Although the docs spend a great deal of
time talking about it, I can't figure out how
to start the damn  thing.

Could one of you spot me a clue?

Nice to spend $80 bucks for something
you already had all along.  I'll be more
careful next time... Nice scam Cygnus

* Re: How do you start insight
@ 1999-11-10 23:48 ` Brendan Simon
From: Brendan Simon @ 1999-11-10 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martinj; +Cc: insight

martinj wrote:

> Just purchased GNUPro C,C++.
>
> As near as I can tell it installed OK.
>
> It appears to have installed a bunch
> of stuff I already had with RedHat 6.1
> with the exception of this Insight Viusal
> Debugger.
>
> Although the docs spend a great deal of
> time talking about it, I can't figure out how
> to start the damn  thing.
>
> Could one of you spot me a clue?
>
> Nice to spend $80 bucks for something
> you already had all along.  I'll be more
> careful next time... Nice scam Cygnus

It is no scam.  You are free to get the sources and build everything
yourself.  I'm sure there will be a statement somewhere on the cygnus
web site letting you know this.

When I build Insight from the sources I use "gdb" to start insight.  I'm
not sure if it is renamed with GNUPro ?  Make sure it picks up the
correct gdb and not the original one you had.  Use <path/gdb> if
necessary.  I generally put a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to point
to the correct gdb.  You can rename it if you like.

Brendan Simon.

* Re: How do you start insight
@ 1999-11-11 13:07 ` Stan Shebs
From: Stan Shebs @ 1999-11-11 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martinj; +Cc: insight

   Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 23:16:52 -0800
   From: martinj <martinj@nwlink.com>

   It appears to have installed a bunch
   of stuff I already had with RedHat 6.1
   with the exception of this Insight Viusal
   Debugger.

   Although the docs spend a great deal of
   time talking about it, I can't figure out how
   to start the damn  thing.

   Could one of you spot me a clue?

The program is still called "gdb", but as usual for windowed apps, you
need to have DISPLAY set correctly and so forth.  Then it should
automatically open up windows and such.  We designed the behavior to
mimic Emacs, which brings up X windows if possible but drops back to
curses otherwise.

I've been thinking that we ought to have a symlink "insight" -> "gdb",
since it seems a number of people go looking for that.

   Nice to spend $80 bucks for something
   you already had all along.  I'll be more
   careful next time... Nice scam Cygnus

Well, at least I know I'll be in the jail cell adjacent to SuSE, Red
Hat, Caldera, etc - we can set up a little LAN and hack. :-)

However, from my experience with building complex packages from
source, and comparing to my hourly rates, $80 seems like a bargain!
Not only that, but you get free advice from friendly Cygnus
engineers...

								Stan

* Re: How do you start insight
@ 1999-11-11 17:59 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 1999-11-11 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martinj; +Cc: insight, John Alexander

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 11:16:52PM -0800, martinj wrote:

> Just purchased GNUPro C,C++.

[...]

> Nice to spend $80 bucks for something
> you already had all along.  I'll be more
> careful next time... Nice scam Cygnus

Dude, if you're not happy with it, return it.  There is a pretty normal
return policy for all Cygnus boxed products.

Jason