public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* command line arguments?
@ 2000-04-07 10:50 Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-04-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

Two problems.

Is there a way to set the command-line arguments for the inferior from
the GUI?  I couldn't find one.  So, I pulled up the console and used
"set args".

Then I ran using the run button and saw this on the console:

    Argument required (target name).  Try `help target'

Tom

* Re: command line arguments?
@ 2000-04-07 11:13 ` James Ingham
From: James Ingham @ 2000-04-07 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tromey; +Cc: Insight List

Tom,

Yes, there is.  Open the Target Settings dialog, set the target to
Exec, and fill in the args field.

 > Two problems.
 >
 > Is there a way to set the command-line arguments for the inferior from
 > the GUI?  I couldn't find one.  So, I pulled up the console and used
 > "set args".
 >
 > Then I ran using the run button and saw this on the console:
 >
 >     Argument required (target name).  Try `help target'

Humm, not sure why setting the args confused the run button like this.
It usually chooses the default target...  There is a bug here in that
the Exec target should probably be chosen by default when the host ==
target.  This should be pretty easy to do, I just haven't gotten
around to it.

We probably also should change the name of the "Target Settings"
dialog for a native debugger, since this is probably not what people
would think of for native systems.  This is cosmetic, however.

Jim

* Re: command line arguments?
@ 2000-04-07 11:21   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-04-07 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Ingham; +Cc: tromey, Insight List

Jim> Yes, there is.  Open the Target Settings dialog, set the target
Jim> to Exec, and fill in the args field.

Thanks.  I think that is pretty obscure.
I looked at the target dialog but it didn't occur to me that the
Target field might be what I wanted.

Jim> We probably also should change the name of the "Target Settings"
Jim> dialog for a native debugger, since this is probably not what
Jim> people would think of for native systems.  This is cosmetic,
Jim> however.

IMHO: in a GUI cosmetics can mean usability.

Tom