public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Tail Calls & Insight
@ 2000-05-16 12:43 Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2000-05-16 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I'm working on a custom port for insight/gdb for our custom RISC cpu
and I'm having a problem with something.

When you click the 'next' button, GDB really single steps till the PC
goes somewhere expected, or unexpected.

If it's unexpected (ie: a subroutine call occurs) GDB then assumes
that the return address is on the stack and pops the return address,
sets a new breakpoint and 'runs', hoping it will hit the breakpoint.

Unfortunatly, (or fortunatly depending on your view) one optmization
trick we use is to convert tail calls into jumps.

Is there any way of describing this situation to GDB?

-Duane.

* Re: Tail Calls & Insight
@ 2000-05-16 12:47 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-05-16 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: duane_ellis; +Cc: insight

Duane> Unfortunatly, (or fortunatly depending on your view) one
Duane> optmization trick we use is to convert tail calls into jumps.

Duane> Is there any way of describing this situation to GDB?

You should really ask this on the gdb list and not the Insight list.

I imagine it is possible, since gcc recently got this optimization.
However, I don't know the details.

Tom