public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Buttons not disabled on startup.
@ 2000-07-12  3:33 Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-07-12  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I just noticed that the step, next, finish, and continue
buttons are not disabled when you first start insight.
I should not be able to press these buttons until
after I actually run the program. If I go ahead
and press one of the buttons, it talks to gdb and
notices that nothing is running. Only then do
the buttons become disabled.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Buttons not disabled on startup.
@ 2000-07-13 10:45 ` Jim Ingham
From: Jim Ingham @ 2000-07-13 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong, insight

Also sprach Mo DeJong:

> I just noticed that the step, next, finish, and continue
> buttons are not disabled when you first start insight.
> I should not be able to press these buttons until
> after I actually run the program. If I go ahead
> and press one of the buttons, it talks to gdb and
> notices that nothing is running. Only then do
> the buttons become disabled.
>
> Mo DeJong
> Red Hat Inc

Mo,

This is a recent breakage, then.  Insight certainly used to grey out all
these buttons till the executable was running.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                 jingham@apple.com
Apple Computer

* Re: Buttons not disabled on startup.
@ 2000-07-13 11:00   ` Duane Ellis
From: Duane Ellis @ 2000-07-13 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Wait...

mo> I just noticed that the step, next, finish, and continue buttons
mo> are not disabled when you first start insight.  I should not be
mo> able to press these buttons until after I actually run the
mo> program. If I go ahead and press one of the buttons, it talks to
mo> gdb and notices that nothing is running. Only then do the buttons
mo> become disabled.

jingham> This is a recent breakage, then.  Insight certainly used to grey out all
       > these buttons till the executable was running.

I seem to remember this *NOT* being a 'breakage' but it is suppose to
be that way.

What you describe is *TRUE* only in a operating system based
implimentation.

It is *NEVER* true in a *ROM* or *SIMULATION* based situation.

Manytimes you need to single step through the startup code to debug
the startup code.

-Duane Ellis

(Wanna see a cool eBook: http://www.franklin.com ...)