public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Can't get "run" button to work
@ 2000-08-28 15:53 Grant Edwards
       [not found] ` <20000828181002.A6810@visi.com>
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-08-28 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi all, me again...

I'm running a patched 20000828 snapshot, and I've gotten the
RDI target to work fine as long as the console window is used
to load and start the program, but I can't get it to work using
the "run" button.  However, the apps guys are stricly
button-clickers -- they're going to turn their noses up if
asked to type commands at the gdb prompt.

I've tried using "target settings" that do nothing but attach
to the target and issue a command.  Gdb is attaching to the
target, but it doesn't seem to be issuing the command
configured in "target settings".

If I set up the target hardware by hand before starting gdb, I
can get the app to run with with the "run" button, but when I
stop it with the "stop" button, there is no symbol info in gdb.

Why does it always complain about no-symbol-file when I bring
up the "target settings" dialog?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: Can't get "run" button to work
       [not found]   ` <20000828183709.B6810@visi.com>
@ 2000-10-03 14:13     ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-10-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: insight

Grant Edwards wrote:

> The one thing I've left to try is to re-write the "after
> attach" command so that that it initializes the hardware, then
> downloads/runs the memconfig program without using symbols.
> I'd have to hard-wire a break point, but that program never
> changes, so it might work...

Humm... would a "before attach" help?  Just thinking aloud...

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* Re: Can't get "run" button to work
@ 2000-10-03 14:21       ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2000-10-03 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: insight

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:13:16PM -0400, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> > The one thing I've left to try is to re-write the "after
> > attach" command so that that it initializes the hardware, then
> > downloads/runs the memconfig program without using symbols.
> > I'd have to hard-wire a break point, but that program never
> > changes, so it might work...
> >
> Humm... would a "before attach" help?  Just thinking aloud...

I don't think so.  My problem was that the symbols were loaded before the
"after attach" command.  One of the commands in my "after attach" macro was
replacing the symbols, so that when the program was actually run, the wrong
set of symbols was being used.  I changed the "after attach" macro so it
doesn't use symbols.  What would have made things simpler in my case would
have been change the order of events from

  load-symbols -> attach -> after-attach -> load-target -> run

  load-symbols -> attach -> after-attach -> load-symbols -> load-target -> run

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com