public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* source window stops displaying executing code
@ 2000-11-03 14:15 Adam Schuetze
From: Adam Schuetze @ 2000-11-03 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have come across an odd problem/wierdness with Insight.  I am
using Insight 5.0, released May 2000.  I have not tried any of
the snapshots, as I managed to get the original source to
compile (with some help from Fernando, thanks Fernando!).

I will try to explain what is going on in words; for
clarification (screen shots) you can go to

http://www.adam-schuetze.org/insight/insight_problem.htm

Ok.  So I'm running a small program (I'm taking a c++ oo course,
beginner style).  If I am stepping through line by line, and I
step off the end of the program, the source window blanks out,
and the dialog at the bottom says it is looking at
"libc-start.c", but the source code window is blank.

Perhaps of importance, when I place the cursor over the source
window, the cursor changes to a small "watch".

If I do another "n", the console display shows that my program
has exited properly, but the source file name window still says
it is looking at libc-start.c, even though it is blank.

If I do a "run" in the console window, the console window shows
that my program has restarted, and the "current variables"
window shows variables that I recognize as being in main() in my
program, but the current file name source code window is still
stuck on libc-start.c, even though it shows the program is now
in the function main(). So I can't see what is going on, as I
step through the program now.

If I try to change the "current file name" back to my program,
it gives me an error message:

Error: invalid command name
".srcwin().srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.p.pane4.childsite.st.lf.childsite.clipper.text"

I am unable to get myself out of this mess without exiting from
insight, and re-running it.

Am I overlooking something here?  What is the "libc-start.c"
business about?

This is not fatal, but it is annoying :)  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

--
            Adam Schuetze <adam@adam-schuetze.org>
        Get my pgp keys at http://www.adam-schuetze.org

* Re: source window stops displaying executing code
@ 2000-11-03 15:21 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam,

I believe I fixed this very recently.

The latest snapshot should not gave this problem (or at least so I hope).
But, as you described the situation so well (even with screen shots!)
I will give it a try next week and see if it is really fixed.

If, however, you find some time to get the latest sources and see if the problem
is solved I would appreciate.  I can use any help.

Thanks for the problem report.

Fernando

P.S.: There is a bug database accessible from the Insight web page at
      sources.redhat.com.  The good thing about it is that you can check
      if your problem was already reported and fixed and also because bugs
      registered there won't be forgotten.

Adam Schuetze wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have come across an odd problem/wierdness with Insight.  I am
> using Insight 5.0, released May 2000.  I have not tried any of
> the snapshots, as I managed to get the original source to
> compile (with some help from Fernando, thanks Fernando!).
>
> I will try to explain what is going on in words; for
> clarification (screen shots) you can go to
>
> http://www.adam-schuetze.org/insight/insight_problem.htm
>
> Ok.  So I'm running a small program (I'm taking a c++ oo course,
> beginner style).  If I am stepping through line by line, and I
> step off the end of the program, the source window blanks out,
> and the dialog at the bottom says it is looking at
> "libc-start.c", but the source code window is blank.
>
> Perhaps of importance, when I place the cursor over the source
> window, the cursor changes to a small "watch".
>
> If I do another "n", the console display shows that my program
> has exited properly, but the source file name window still says
> it is looking at libc-start.c, even though it is blank.
>
> If I do a "run" in the console window, the console window shows
> that my program has restarted, and the "current variables"
> window shows variables that I recognize as being in main() in my
> program, but the current file name source code window is still
> stuck on libc-start.c, even though it shows the program is now
> in the function main(). So I can't see what is going on, as I
> step through the program now.
>
> If I try to change the "current file name" back to my program,
> it gives me an error message:
>
> Error: invalid command name
> ".srcwin().srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.p.pane4.childsite.st.lf.childsite.clipper.text"
>
> I am unable to get myself out of this mess without exiting from
> insight, and re-running it.
>
> Am I overlooking something here?  What is the "libc-start.c"
> business about?
>
> This is not fatal, but it is annoying :)  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> --
>             Adam Schuetze <adam@adam-schuetze.org>
>         Get my pgp keys at http://www.adam-schuetze.org

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9

* Re: source window stops displaying executing code
@ 2000-11-03 16:01   ` Adam Schuetze
From: Adam Schuetze @ 2000-11-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 06:21:53PM -0500, Fernando Nasser scribbled:

> If, however, you find some time to get the latest sources and see if
> the problem is solved I would appreciate.  I can use any help.

I will try to take care of it this weekend.  Hopefully I'll have an
answer by next monday or so.

later,