public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Interface issues
@ 2000-11-17  9:14 Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2000-11-17  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing I find kinda annoying is the fact that almost none of the dialogs
has a close button. You have to use the window manager to close dialogs. I
don't think that's a correct UI design. But then, what do I know? If anyone
else finds this annoying, maybe I'll go thru the list of dialogs to add the
close buttons. But dunna holda you bress!

MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED --> UPDATE YOUR ADDRESSBOOK

Laurent Duperval                   "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
Netergy Networks - Java Center            and we who are here have failed it."
Phone: (514) 282-8484 ext. 228                                   -Doug Camilli
mailto:laurent.duperval@netergynet.com           Penguin Power!

* Re: Interface issues
@ 2000-11-17 12:34 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laurent Duperval wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One thing I find kinda annoying is the fact that almost none of the dialogs
> has a close button. You have to use the window manager to close dialogs. I
> don't think that's a correct UI design. But then, what do I know? If anyone
> else finds this annoying, maybe I'll go thru the list of dialogs to add the
> close buttons. But dunna holda you bress!

This is a good point.  I will keep an eye open for missing "close" on dialogs.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

* Re: Interface issues
@ 2000-11-17 13:13   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-11-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Laurent Duperval wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > One thing I find kinda annoying is the fact that almost none of the dialogs
> > has a close button. You have to use the window manager to close dialogs. I
> > don't think that's a correct UI design. But then, what do I know? If anyone
> > else finds this annoying, maybe I'll go thru the list of dialogs to add the
> > close buttons. But dunna holda you bress!
> >

> This is a good point.  I will keep an eye open for missing "close" on dialogs.

I don't buy it. If you are talking about a dialog, I would agree.
Windows that are not dialogs do not need close buttons. That is
what the little X in the upper right hand corner is for. Closing
the window is the job of the window manager.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Interface issues
@ 2000-11-17 13:51     ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mo DeJong; +Cc: insight

Mo DeJong wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>
> > Laurent Duperval wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > One thing I find kinda annoying is the fact that almost none of the dialogs
> > > has a close button. You have to use the window manager to close dialogs. I
> > > don't think that's a correct UI design. But then, what do I know? If anyone
> > > else finds this annoying, maybe I'll go thru the list of dialogs to add the
> > > close buttons. But dunna holda you bress!
> > >

> > This is a good point.  I will keep an eye open for missing "close" on dialogs.
>
> I don't buy it. If you are talking about a dialog, I would agree.

Yes, as I understand he is referring to "dialog" windows only.

> Windows that are not dialogs do not need close buttons. That is
> what the little X in the upper right hand corner is for. Closing
> the window is the job of the window manager.

Yes, but a menu option "Close" wouldn't hurt.

I can't say the same about "Exit" though.  I remember once I activating Exit
instead of Close when trying to Close a window just because the mouse slid a bit.
I was upset.

--

@ 2000-11-20  5:46       ` Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2000-11-20  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Nov, Fernando Nasser wrote:
>> > This is a good point.  I will keep an eye open for missing "close" on dialogs.
>>
>> I don't buy it. If you are talking about a dialog, I would agree.
>
> Yes, as I understand he is referring to "dialog" windows only.

Uhm... I dunno if I'm talking nly about dialogs. My thought on this matter
is that all windows should be removable by something other than the little X
-- personally, if it was something other than a menu, I'd prefer it. I think
that's what proper UI design warrants. But I'm not a UI designer.