public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* tcl/tk extension problems
@ 2001-08-13 13:40 Grant Edwards
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-13 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I'm trying to build and install insight-5.0, and it's failing
because the directory where I built and installed it 8 months
ago isn't there.

The files /usr/local/lib/tclConfig.sh and
/usr/local/lib/tkConfig.sh seem to have stored away paths to
the previous build directory, and now I'm in trouble because I
deleted that directory, and the current "make install" is
trying to use files out of a long-deceased build/source
directory.

When I distribute a binary RPM of insight, are my customers
going to be in trouble since the source/build directory isn't
even on their machine?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: tcl/tk extension problems
@ 2001-08-13 14:01 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 03:41:34PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm trying to build and install insight-5.0, and it's failing
> because the directory where I built and installed it 8 months
> ago isn't there.

Here's the output from "make install"

Installing itk.h
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/library/Archetype.itk
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/library/Toplevel.itk
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/library/Widget.itk
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/library/itk.tcl
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/library/tclIndex
Installing /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/unix/tkAppInit.c
Installing pkgIndex.tcl
Installing doc/itkwish.1
Installing doc/Archetype.n
Installing doc/Toplevel.n
Installing doc/Widget.n
Installing doc/itk.n
Installing doc/itkvars.n
Installing doc/usual.n
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/itk/unix'
Making in iwidgets3.0.0/unix
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/iwidgets3.0.0/unix'
make[2]: /home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itcl/../config/mkinstalldirs: Command not found
make[2]: *** [install-libraries] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/iwidgets3.0.0/unix'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl'
make: *** [install-itcl] Error 2

It's being built in
    /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0

Why isn't it using
    /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/config/mkinstalldirs?

[I'm up against a deadline, and if I can't get this fixed, I'm
probably going to have to ship with vanilla gdb.]

--

@ 2001-08-13 14:07 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2001-08-13 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm trying to build and install insight-5.0, and it's failing
> because the directory where I built and installed it 8 months
> ago isn't there.

I don't quite understand. You're doing a clean build and install and it's
complaining about something you did months ago???

> The files /usr/local/lib/tclConfig.sh and
> /usr/local/lib/tkConfig.sh seem to have stored away paths to
> the previous build directory, and now I'm in trouble because I
> deleted that directory, and the current "make install" is
> trying to use files out of a long-deceased build/source
> directory.

These files should not be used by insight. Insight should be looking for
the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh that are generated by its own copies of
tcl and tk.

> When I distribute a binary RPM of insight, are my customers
> going to be in trouble since the source/build directory isn't
> even on their machine?

?? Mumble cautions about distributing GPL binaries...

Keith

* Re: tcl/tk extension problems
@ 2001-08-13 14:19 ` Kaoru Fukui
From: Kaoru Fukui @ 2001-08-13 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards; +Cc: insight

From: Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>

> When I distribute a binary RPM of insight, are my customers
> going to be in trouble since the source/build directory isn't
> even on their machine?

I have the src,rpm
There is

ftp://sv.linuxjp.org/pub/PPC/glibc-2.2.x-room/insight

Try it at once

Kaoru

* Re: tcl/tk extension problems
@ 2001-08-13 14:49   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 02:07:04PM -0700, Keith Seitz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to build and install insight-5.0, and it's failing
> > because the directory where I built and installed it 8 months
> > ago isn't there.
>
> I don't quite understand. You're doing a clean build and install and it's
> complaining about something you did months ago???
>
> > The files /usr/local/lib/tclConfig.sh and
> > /usr/local/lib/tkConfig.sh seem to have stored away paths to
> > the previous build directory, and now I'm in trouble because I
> > deleted that directory, and the current "make install" is
> > trying to use files out of a long-deceased build/source
> > directory.
>
> These files should not be used by insight. Insight should be looking for
> the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh that are generated by its own copies of
> tcl and tk.

It's the itcl/itk config file that found the previous
installation:

/home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/iwidgets3.0.0/unix:

 Makefile:ITCL_SRC_DIR = /home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itcl
 Makefile:ITK_SRC_DIR = /home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itk
 config.status:s%@ITCL_SRC_DIR@%/home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itcl%g
 config.status:s%@ITK_SRC_DIR@%/home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itk%g

It looks like the configure.in files searches default locations
if it isn't passed the --with-tcl option.

--

@ 2001-08-13 15:23     ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2001-08-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:50:43PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > > I'm trying to build and install insight-5.0, and it's failing
> > > because the directory where I built and installed it 8 months
> > > ago isn't there.
> >
> > I don't quite understand. You're doing a clean build and install and it's
> > complaining about something you did months ago???

[...]

> It's the itcl/itk config file that found the previous
> installation:
>
> /home/grante/mybuild/BUILD/insight-5.0/itcl/iwidgets3.0.0/unix:
>
>  Makefile:ITCL_SRC_DIR = /home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itcl
>  Makefile:ITK_SRC_DIR = /home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itk
>  config.status:s%@ITCL_SRC_DIR@%/home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itcl%g
>  config.status:s%@ITK_SRC_DIR@%/home/grante/insight-5.0-mod/itcl/itk%g
>
> It looks like the configure.in files searches default locations
> if it isn't passed the --with-tcl option.

I renamed /usr/local/lib/itkConfig.sh and
/usr/local/lib/itclConfig.sh, and everything installed fine.

When the itk/itcl configure scripts are run, they aren't being
passed the --with-tcl flag to tell them where to look for
configuration info, so they look for *Config.sh in standard
places -- including /usr/local/lib.  They find those files from
a previous install and use them.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com