public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Ian Roxborough <irox@redhat.com>
To: Andy Hare <ahare@btinternet.com>
Cc: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Insight windows problems.
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Andy Hare wrote:

> The actual code at the crash point looks thus :
>
> HWND
> Tk_GetHWND(window)
>     Window window;
> {
>     TkWinDrawable *twdPtr = (TkWinDrawable *) window;
>     return twdPtr->window.handle;
> }
>
> so window is passed OK but GDB claims that twdPtr does not exist, surely
> that can't be right can it ???

Yeah it is right, the window doesn't exist (in Tk) because it's been
destroyed already (but not in win32 side).  The window causing the
crash is left over from the combobox pop list window thing.  I think
I've post more details on the problem before.

> Hope this helps, if you have got any further than this then I would be
> pleased to aid in any way possible.

It's really nice to see other people reproduce this problem
(it elimates me for the list of things going wrong ;-).

If you want to get around this problem you need to do the following
nastiness:

In the "ModalDialog::post" method in modal.tcl you need to change the
line at the end of the method (~line 100) which reads:

    ::delete object $this

to:
    wm withdraw [winfo toplevel [namespace tail $this]]

This will stop the crashing problem and allow people to
continue to use Insight on Windows until I've got time
to work on fixing it for real again.

I'm sorry it's ended up broken for so long.

Ian.

P.S.: On the bright side I've notice that (other than the
noted problems) Insight seems a lot more stable on Windows
than the Tcl8.0 based version (based on my observations
when comparing the two version over the last couple of months
YMMV).