public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* powerpc-unknown-elf-gdb, simulator, registers not updated
@ 2002-05-23 12:02 Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-05-23 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi everybody,

i'm new to this list, i hope this is the right one.

I've set up a toolchain for my TQM823L board, i also
compiled a Linux kernel and several packages, those
can be downloaded at:

http://www.s.netic.de/tmohr/linux.html -> embedded -> PowerPC

I also configured and compiled "insight-5.2" for the
target "powerpc-unknown-elf" and i've loaded a simple
program in it using the target "SIMULATOR" to finally
play around with assembler code.

When i load a program in it, it works fine, BUT:

The "registers" window is not updated.

Is this a problem or did i make a mistake?

Can anybody reproduce this problem?

Is this a known problem?

Is there a patch that fixes this problem?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

* Re: powerpc-unknown-elf-gdb, simulator, registers not updated
@ 2002-05-23 15:36 ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2002-05-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr, insight

On Thursday 23 May 2002 12:06 pm, Torsten Mohr wrote:

> When i load a program in it, it works fine, BUT:
>
> The "registers" window is not updated.

What do you get when you open a console window and type "info reg"? If you get
something different than what appears in the register window, then it is an
Insight bug.  If "info reg" matches the register window, then there is a GDB
bug and you should try sending email to "gdb@sources.redhat.com"

--
Martin Hunt
GDB Engineer

* Re: powerpc-unknown-elf-gdb, simulator, registers not updated
@ 2002-05-24 19:26   ` Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-05-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt, insight

Hi,

thank you for that hint.  That way i found out that
this is an "insight" bug.  In the "register window"
the variables are not updated, but when i type
"info reg" in the console, different values are
shown.

If i close the "register window" and open it again,
the correct values are shown.

When i step through my source the "register window"
is NEVER updated, no matter if i use "single step",
"next" or "assembler step".

If i show a register in the "watch window", the correct
value is shown.

The "console window" also showed me:
Current language:  auto; currently c++

(I've set up a powerpc-unknown-elf-g++ and -gcc
and compiled the project with the -g++.
The code the compiler generates (not this test project)
works fine in my TQM823L development board.

Would it help to send the complete test project?

What other files or information could help?

Do i need to report this in the bug list?

Best regards,
Torsten.

@ 2002-05-25 12:36     ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2002-05-25 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr, insight

On Friday 24 May 2002 07:25 pm, Torsten Mohr wrote:

> thank you for that hint.  That way i found out that
> this is an "insight" bug.  In the "register window"
> the variables are not updated, but when i type
> "info reg" in the console, different values are
> shown.

OK, we have an Insight bug.

> What other files or information could help?

The next step is to set the environment variable GDBTK_DEBUG to 1.  From bash,
that would be
"export GDBTK_DEBUG=1"
Then run Insight.  Under the View pulldown menu, you should see "Debug
Window". Select this.  Next open your register window and step a few times.
Look for error messages in the Debug Window as you do this.  When you exit
Insight, you will find a file "insight.log" that is the saved contents of the
debug window.

Another thing you could try is download the latest sources for Insight and try
those.  I rewrote much of the register window a couple of weeks ago. Or you
should just be able to copy the new register window source files into your
5.2 source tree.  The files you need are gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-register.c,
gdbtk/library/regwin.it* and gdbtk/library/help/register.html

--
Martin Hunt
GDB Engineer

* Re: powerpc-unknown-elf-gdb, simulator, registers not updated
@ 2002-05-25 21:10       ` Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-05-25 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt, insight

Hi Martin,

thanks for that hint.  In the "debug window" i can see messages
in different colors.  Some lines in "orange" seem to be related
to updating registers (method ::RegWin::update).

This time "insight" started with the "registers window" opened,
it was NEVER updated, after starting my test program and making
some steps the value fields for the registers are still empty.

The warning message in the debug window looks like this:
(GDBEventHandler::GDBEventHandler::dispatch) On update event,
::.regwin0.regwin errored:
can't read "_cell(70)": no such element in array
    while executing
"if {$_cell($r) != "hidden"} {
      $itk_component(table) tag cell normal $_cell($r)
    }"
    (object "::.regwin0.regwin" method "::RegWin::update" body line 7)
    invoked from within
"$w $handler $event"

I think this is the error, but i still attach the "insight.log file".

I'll also try the CVS sources.  Is the problem fixed in these files?

Thanks,
Torsten.

[-- Attachment #2: insight.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 57482 bytes --]

I ManagedWin startup {Got active list {ManagedWin::open Console} {ManagedWin::open WatchWin} {ManagedWin::open SrcWin} {ManagedWin::open RegWin}}
I ManagedWin _open {Console }
I ManagedWin _create {win=console args=}
I EmbeddedWin constructor {}
I Console constructor {}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"}
I ManagedWin _open {WatchWin }
I ManagedWin _create {win=watchwin args=}
I GDBWin constructor {}
I EmbeddedWin constructor {}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I VariableWin build_win tree=.watchwin0.watchwin.f.top.tree
I WatchWin update {START WATCH UPDATE CALLBACK}
I VariableWin populate {}
I VariableWin populate variables=
I VariableWin populate {done with populate}
I VariableWin update {}
I WatchWin update {Did VariableWin::update with return ""}
I WatchWin update {END WATCH UPDATE CALLBACK}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I ManagedWin _open {SrcWin }
I ManagedWin _create {win=srcwin args=}
I GDBWin constructor {}
I TopLevelWin constructor .srcwin0.srcwin
I SrcWin constructor {}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop normal}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I GDBWin constructor {}
E SrcWin constructor {_build_win returned: bad window path name ".srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.frame.search"
    while executing
"winfo toplevel $window"
    (procedure "BALLOON_find_balloon" line 3)
    invoked from within
"BALLOON_find_balloon $window"
    (procedure "BALLOON_command_register" line 2)
    invoked from within
"BALLOON_command_register .srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.frame.search {Search for text}"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval BALLOON_command_$key $args"
    (procedure "balloon" line 6)
    invoked from within
"balloon register $_statbar.frame.search "Search for text""
    (object "::.srcwin0.srcwin" method "::SrcWin::_build_win" body line 85)
    invoked from within
"_build_win"}
I ManagedWin _open {RegWin }
I ManagedWin _create {win=regwin args=}
I GDBWin constructor {}
I EmbeddedWin constructor {}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar enable_ui {0 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Other disabled  Trace disabled  Attach disabled  Detach disabled}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop running}
I SrcBar _set_runstop running
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "busy" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I SrcBar enable_ui {1 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Trace disabled  Control normal  Other normal  Attach disabled  Detach normal }
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop normal}
I SrcBar _set_runstop normal
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "idle" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I VariableWin deleteTree {}
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I WatchWin update {START WATCH UPDATE CALLBACK}
I VariableWin populate {}
I VariableWin populate variables=
I VariableWin populate {done with populate}
I VariableWin update {}
I WatchWin update {Did VariableWin::update with return ""}
I WatchWin update {END WATCH UPDATE CALLBACK}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I SrcWin choose_and_update {chose window ::.srcwin0.srcwin}
I SrcWin _update {loc={} {} {} 0 0x0 0x0 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag= linespec={} {} {} 0 0x0 0x0 {}}
I SrcWin location {not running: name= funcname= line=0}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {Searching MAIN___ MAIN__ main cyg_user_start cyg_start}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I RegWin update {START REGISTER UPDATE CALLBACK}
I RegWin update {END REGISTER UPDATE CALLBACK}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "arch_changed" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I global gdbtk_clear_file {}
I VariableWin deleteTree {}
I SrcTextWin clear_file {In clear_file}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=0 d=0 r=0}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_downloading l=0 d=0 r=0}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=0 r=0}
[...]
E GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {On update event, ::.regwin0.regwin errored:
can't read "_cell(70)": no such element in array
    while executing
"if {$_cell($r) != "hidden"} {
      $itk_component(table) tag cell normal $_cell($r)
    }"
    (object "::.regwin0.regwin" method "::RegWin::update" body line 7)
    invoked from within
"$w $handler $event"}
I SrcWin _name {.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane1.childsite.con.name }
I SrcWin point_to_main {could not find main}
[...]
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag=BROWSE_TAG linespec={crt0.S main /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S 5 0x1800074 0x0 {}}}
I SrcWin location {not running: name= funcname= line=}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {Searching MAIN___ MAIN__ main cyg_user_start cyg_start}
I SrcWin location {new linespec=crt0.S main /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S 5 0x1800074 0x0 {}}
I SrcTextWin _mtime_changed {no mtime. resetting to zero}
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S  SOURCE}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache {LoadFromCache t /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S S}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache name=/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache pane=pane1
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {READING /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S}
I Session notice_file_change {noticed file change event for /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/qwe.elf}
I Session notice_file_change {reloading session for /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/qwe.elf}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.console0.console"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.watchwin0.watchwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.srcwin0.srcwin"}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "breakpoint" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I Session notice_file_change {Restoring Target: sim}
I VariableWin deleteTree {}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=0 r=0}
I ManagedWin _open {TargetSelection -exportcancel 1 -center -transient}
I ManagedWin _create {win=targetselection args=-exportcancel 1 -center -transient}
I TargetSelection change_target sim
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I ModalDialog post {POST ::.targetselection0.targetselection}
I ModalDialog destructor {  UNPOST ::.targetselection0.targetselection}
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.targetselection0.targetselection.f.lab, reposition is }
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.targetselection0.targetselection.moreoptionsframe.frame.lf.childsite.run_method, reposition is }
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.targetselection0.targetselection.moreoptionsframe.frame, reposition is }
I ManagedWin _open {DebugWin }
I ManagedWin _create {win=debugwin args=}
I DebugWin constructor {}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=0 d=0 r=0}
I global gdbtk_attach_remote Attaching....
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I VariableWin deleteTree {}
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I global set_target {CONNECTING TO TARGET: sim }
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=0 r=0}
I global run_executable Downloading...
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=0 r=0}
I Download download_it {exe=/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/qwe.elf downloading=0}
I Download download_it {    loaded=0 target=sim running=0}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_downloading l=0 d=1 r=0}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=0 d=1 r=0}
[...]
I Download download_it {downloading /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/qwe.elf}
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
I SrcBar {} {configuring runstop downloading}
I SrcBar _set_runstop downloading
I Download download_it {starting load}
I Download download_it {Done loading}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_downloading l=0 d=0 r=0}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_loaded l=1 d=0 r=0}
I ManagedWin find SrcWin
[...]
I global run_executable {Setting new BP at exit}
I global gdbtk_locate_main {Searching MAIN___ MAIN__ main cyg_user_start cyg_start}
I global run_executable {Setting new BP at main}
[...]
I global run_executable {Setting BP at qwe}
[...]
I global run_executable {Runnning target...}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=crt0.S main /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S 5 0x1800074 0x1800074 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag= linespec=crt0.S main /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S 5 0x1800074 0x1800074 {}}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=1 d=0 r=1}
[...]
I global run_executable RUNNING
[...]
I SrcWin location {running=1 tag= linespec=crt0.S main /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S 5 0x1800074 0x1800074 {}}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 15 0x1800084 0x1800084 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=1 tag= linespec=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 15 0x1800084 0x1800084 {}}
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=1 d=0 r=1}
I SrcTextWin _mtime_changed {no mtime. resetting to zero}
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/crt0.S SOURCE}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache {LoadFromCache t /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c S}
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache name=/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c
I SrcTextWin LoadFromCache pane=pane2
I SrcTextWin LoadFile {READING /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 19 0x1800090 0x1800090 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=1 tag= linespec=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 19 0x1800090 0x1800090 {}}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 20 0x18000c8 0x18000c8 {}}
I SrcWin location {running=1 tag= linespec=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 20 0x18000c8 0x18000c8 {}}
[...]
I SrcWin _update {loc=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 19 0x18000dc 0x18000dc {}}
I SrcWin location {running=1 tag= linespec=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 19 0x18000dc 0x18000dc {}}
[...]
I SrcBar do_disconnect {.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane0.childsite.con.menubar.m.run 0}
I VariableWin deleteTree {}
I SrcBar enable_ui {2 - Browsing=0}
I GDBMenuBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I GDBToolBar set_class_state {Enable list is: Control disabled  Trace disabled  Other normal  Attach normal  Detach disabled }
I SrcWin _set_state {gdb_running l=1 d=0 r=0}
[...]
I SrcWin location {running=0 tag= linespec=main.c qwe /home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c 19 0x18000dc 0x18000dc {}}
I SrcWin location {not running: name=/home/tmohr/p/ppc/gdb/main.c funcname=qwe line=19}
I GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {posting event "update" to "::.regwin0.regwin"}
I RegWin update {START REGISTER UPDATE CALLBACK}
E GDBEventHandler GDBEventHandler::dispatch {On update event, ::.regwin0.regwin errored:
can't read "_cell(70)": no such element in array
    while executing
"if {$_cell($r) != "hidden"} {
      $itk_component(table) tag cell normal $_cell($r)
    }"
    (object "::.regwin0.regwin" method "::RegWin::update" body line 7)
    invoked from within
"$w $handler $event"}
I global pref_save {pref_save /home/tmohr/.gdbtkinit}
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.console0.console.stext, reposition is }
I EmbeddedWin destructor {}
I EmbeddedWin destructor {}
I GDBWin destructor {}
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con.p.pane0.childsite.st, reposition is }
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con.p.pane1.childsite.st, reposition is }
I iwidgets::Labeledframe destructor {In Labeledframe destructor for ::.srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con.p.pane2.childsite.st, reposition is }
I GDBWin destructor {}
I SrcWin destructor {}
I TopLevelWin destructor {}

* Re: powerpc-unknown-elf-gdb, simulator, registers not updated
@ 2002-05-25 22:39       ` Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2002-05-25 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt, insight

Hi,

Using the latest sources work just fine, thanks you for your help.
Updating only the files you mentioned dind't work, undefined
reference to 'frame_register_read'.

Regards,
Torsten.