public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Locals window empty with version 5.2.1 for MIPS
@ 2002-10-10 12:42 Fred Young
From: Fred Young @ 2002-10-10 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I'm running Insight version 5.2.1 under Cygwin targeted for MIPS.

When I open the Locals window, nothing is displayed even though the gdb
command "info locals" command does display the locals.

I've compared the behavior with version 5.1 and discovered that the
difference is in the function gdb_block_vars in the file
gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-stack.c

With version 5.1, the function parse_and_eval_address is used to set the
variables "start" and "end"; parse_and_eval_address returns values like
0xffffffff81000d2c.

With version 5.2.1 the function string_to_core_addr is used to set the
variables "start" and "end"; string_to_core_addr returns values like
0x0000000081000d2c, so that the line
      if (BLOCK_START (block) == start && BLOCK_END (block) == end)
always fails.

Fred Young
NNG Canada Inc.
519 880-8089

* Re: Locals window empty with version 5.2.1 for MIPS
@ 2002-10-11 10:55 ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2002-10-11 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Young, insight

On Thursday 10 October 2002 12:42 pm, Fred Young wrote:
> I'm running Insight version 5.2.1 under Cygwin targeted for MIPS.
>
> When I open the Locals window, nothing is displayed even though the gdb
> command "info locals" command does display the locals.
>
> I've compared the behavior with version 5.1 and discovered that the
> difference is in the function gdb_block_vars in the file
> gdb/gdbtk/generic/gdbtk-stack.c
>
> With version 5.1, the function parse_and_eval_address is used to set the
> variables "start" and "end"; parse_and_eval_address returns values like
> 0xffffffff81000d2c.
>
> With version 5.2.1 the function string_to_core_addr is used to set the
> variables "start" and "end"; string_to_core_addr returns values like
> 0x0000000081000d2c, so that the line
>       if (BLOCK_START (block) == start && BLOCK_END (block) == end)
> always fails.
>
> Fred Young
> NNG Canada Inc.
> 519 880-8089

Thanks for posting this.  I had a fix that I needed to get approved.  It is
checked into sources now.  The patch is posted at
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2002-10/msg00230.html

--
Martin Hunt
GDB Engineer