public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Working Insight for cygnus (arm-elf)
@ 2003-02-11  9:50 lars-henrik.ivarsson
From: lars-henrik.ivarsson @ 2003-02-11  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,
I have spent some time to build a working version of Insight for cygwin
(for arm-elf) but without success.
I started out with older versions but now I tried to build the latest
version (insight+dejagnu-20030210.tar.bz2).

I might have misunderstood something, but I thought this version should be
possible to build under cygwin without any additional patches.
When I build this version I get into problem with the tix module. It seems
that the makefile isn't prepared for TCL8.4.
Please, can anyone tell me the proper procedure for building Insight for
this target?

I use the following procedure for configuring and building:

Configure Insight:
    mkdir -p /tmp/build/gdb
    cd /tmp/build/gdb
    /src/gdb/insight+dejagnu-20030210/configure --target=arm-elf  --prefix=/tools  --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out

Build and install Insight:
    make -w all install CC='gcc -mwin32' 2>&1 | tee make.out

Best regards
Lars-Henrik Ivarsson

* Re: Working Insight for cygnus (arm-elf)
       [not found] <200302110944.h1B9iZ115330@mx2.redhat.com>
@ 2003-02-11 15:15 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-11 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars-henrik.ivarsson; +Cc: insight

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:51:03AM +0100, lars-henrik.ivarsson@mecel.se wrote:
>Hi,
>I have spent some time to build a working version of Insight for cygwin
>(for arm-elf) but without success.
>I started out with older versions but now I tried to build the latest
>version (insight+dejagnu-20030210.tar.bz2).
>
>I might have misunderstood something, but I thought this version should be
>possible to build under cygwin without any additional patches.
>When I build this version I get into problem with the tix module. It seems
>that the makefile isn't prepared for TCL8.4.
>Please, can anyone tell me the proper procedure for building Insight for
>this target?

It's simple.  Remove the tix directory.

>I use the following procedure for configuring and building:
>
>Configure Insight:
>    mkdir -p /tmp/build/gdb
>    cd /tmp/build/gdb
>    /src/gdb/insight+dejagnu-20030210/configure --target=arm-elf  --prefix=/tools  --exec-prefix=/tools/H-i686-pc-cygwin -v 2>&1 | tee configure.out
>

>Build and install Insight:
>    make -w all install CC='gcc -mwin32' 2>&1 | tee make.out
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^

This shouldn't be needed.

cgf

* Re: Working Insight for cygnus (arm-elf)
       [not found] <200302110944.h1B9iZ115325@mx2.redhat.com>
@ 2003-02-11 14:21 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-02-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars-henrik.ivarsson; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 01:51, lars-henrik.ivarsson@mecel.se wrote:
> I might have misunderstood something, but I thought this version should be
> possible to build under cygwin without any additional patches.
> When I build this version I get into problem with the tix module. It seems
> that the makefile isn't prepared for TCL8.4.

This is some fallout from removing tix from our sources. We no longer
use it. Simply remove the dependency on tix (and remove the sources from
your source directory) to get the build going again. Specifically,
you'll want to whack "maybe-configure-tix" from the variable "gdb_tk" in
src/configure.in and regenerate it. Then whack "maybe-install-tix" from
"install-gdb" in Makefile.in.

I'll see about submitting a patch to correct this.
Keith