public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-15 12:02 choube mehul
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, insight

hi all,
    i downloaded insight-6.1, compiled and installed
    it.

    my system is
    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686

    i used following cmd to start insight:

      insight test.x &

    in the console window i typed in following cmd's:

      break main.c:35

      r SMRC

    insight doesn't do anything just shows hour-glass.

    please reply on choube_mehul@yahoo.com

mehul.

* insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-15 16:42 ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, insight

hi all,
    i downloaded insight-6.1, compiled and installed
    it.

    my system is
    Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
    Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686

    i used following cmd to start insight:

      insight test.x &

    in the console window i typed in following cmd's:

      break main.c:35

      r SMRC

    insight doesn't do anything just shows hour-glass.

    please reply on choube_mehul@yahoo.com

mehul.

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-15 20:29 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-15 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: choube mehul; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 05:02, choube mehul wrote:
>     i used following cmd to start insight:
>
>       insight test.x &
>
>     in the console window i typed in following cmd's:
>
>       break main.c:35
>
>       r SMRC
>
>     insight doesn't do anything just shows hour-glass.

There could be any number of explanations for this. Let's start by
ascertaining where the problem lies.

What is the output of "show version"?
What command did you use to build your "test.x" application?
Does command-line gdb work on the program? (Run "gdb" instead of
"insight" and type in all the commands that you used above.)

It is very likely that 6.1 (like its 6.0 counterpart) is very broken.
And I don't see that getting fixed until Red Hat and the FSF iron out
the licensing issues with the insight code.

Keith

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-16  6:17   ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-16  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> What is the output of "show version"?

    gdb 6.1

> What command did you use to build your "test.x"
> application?
> Does command-line gdb work on the program? (Run
> "gdb" instead of
> "insight" and type in all the commands that you used
> above.)

    i am compiling test.x with -g flag
    also command-line gdb works fine with test.x

> It is very likely that 6.1 (like its 6.0
> counterpart) is very broken.
> And I don't see that getting fixed until Red Hat and
> the FSF iron out
> the licensing issues with the insight code.

    ok. i will try with version < 6.0

    please reply on choube_mehul@yahoo.com

    thanks.

@ 2004-06-16  7:14   ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-16  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> It is very likely that 6.1 (like its 6.0
> counterpart) is very broken.
> And I don't see that getting fixed until Red Hat and
> the FSF iron out
> the licensing issues with the insight code.

    i downloaded and compiled insight 5.3
    but the same problem.

@ 2004-06-16 15:23     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-16 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: choube mehul; +Cc: insight

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 23:17, choube mehul wrote:
>     i downloaded and compiled insight 5.3
>     but the same problem.

Well, that does surprise me...

Can you please send the output of "show version" in the console. Also,
can you please run objdump -f on test.x. If you open the debug window
("tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin" in console) and run your application to
where insight "hangs" can you send the output?

I don't suppose I could get a copy of test.x?

Keith

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-17  6:31       ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-17  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> Can you please send the output of "show version" in
> the console.

[mehul@linuxdev1 ~]$ insight -v
GNU gdb 5.3
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General
Public License, and you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show
warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
[mehul@linuxdev1 ~]$

> Also,
> can you please run objdump -f on test.x.

linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin>
objdump -f display.x

display.x:     file format elf32-i386
architecture: i386, flags 0x00000112:
EXEC_P, HAS_SYMS, D_PAGED
start address 0x08051960

linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin>

> If you open
> the debug window
> ("tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin" in console) and run
> your application to
> where insight "hangs" can you send the output?

linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin> tk
ManagedWin::open DebugWin
tk: Command not found.
linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin>
whereis tk
tk: /usr/local/lib/tk8.4 /usr/include/tk.h
/usr/share/tk8.3 /usr/share/man/mann/tk.n.gz
linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin> ls
/usr/local/lib/tk8.4/
linuxdev1:/home/mehul/brassbuild/2.4/linux/bin>

test.c is a very simple program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main ( int argc, char **argv )
{
        printf ( "Bharat Mata Ki Jai\n" );

        return 0;
}

compiled with following cmd:

gcc -g -o test.x test.c

mehul.

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-17  8:14 ` Martin M. Hunt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2004-06-17  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: choube mehul; +Cc: insight, insight

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 05:02, choube mehul wrote:
> hi all,
>     i downloaded insight-6.1, compiled and installed
>     it.
>
>     my system is
>     Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
>     Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686
>
>     i used following cmd to start insight:
>
>       insight test.x &

This won't work at all.  You cannot run insight in the background.
Run it without the "&".

--
Martin M. Hunt <hunt@redhat.com>
Red Hat Inc.

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-17 17:37   ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2004-06-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: choube mehul; +Cc: insight, insight

@ 2004-06-18  6:08   ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-18  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: insight, insight, keiths

heh it worked by removing "&"

thanks a lot.

mehul.

--- "Martin M. Hunt" <hunt@redhat.com> wrote: > On

@ 2004-06-21 11:53     ` choube mehul
From: choube mehul @ 2004-06-21 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: insight, insight, keiths

@ 2004-06-21 13:17   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-21 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: choube mehul, insight, insight

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 23:31, Martin M. Hunt wrote:
> This won't work at all.  You cannot run insight in the background.
> Run it without the "&".

I'm glad you noticed that, because I missed that entirely...

I believe that you *can* run insight in the background, BUT you must use
the "use xterm for inferior's terminal" in the target settings (which
means that you MUST use the run button to start the inferior).

Keith

* Re: insight unable to start the process
@ 2004-06-21 16:48     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-06-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: choube mehul, insight, insight