public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: gdb.gdbtk tests
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.10.10003231245280.9146-100000@hpcll168.cup.hp.com>
@ 2000-03-23 14:56 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-03-23 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jimmy Guo; +Cc: gdb, Insight (GDB GUI)

Jimmy Guo wrote:

> These tests apparently require top level tk/, tix/, itcl/, and libgui/
> (the Cygnus GUI) components be present in the source tree (per
> gdb/testsuite/lib/gdb.exp (gdbtk_start)).  Will these components be part
> of public tree any time soon?

They are already available.  Either download the insight+dejagnu
snapshot or checkout the module ``insight''.

> Besides, it's better to have a sanity check routine testing all
> dependencies before even trying gdb_compile, like the skip_hp_tests one.
>
> Some codes like below will be better:
>
> set path [file join <whatever path>]
> if ![file isdirectory $path] {
>    perror <error message>
>    return 1 (or exit 1)
> }

The ``GDB'' module doesn't include the gdb.gdbtk testsuites.  However,
given that it's pretty easy to end up with that directory, a more robust
test would be better.

The MI testsuite checks that the GDB binary.

	enjoy,
		Andrew

* Re: gdb.gdbtk tests
@ 2000-03-23 15:02   ` Jimmy Guo
From: Jimmy Guo @ 2000-03-23 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb, Insight (GDB GUI)

>They are already available.  Either download the insight+dejagnu
>snapshot or checkout the module ``insight''.

Oh, I only extract gdb + dejagnu.

>The ``GDB'' module doesn't include the gdb.gdbtk testsuites.  However,
>given that it's pretty easy to end up with that directory, a more robust
>test would be better.

I don't know if there's any easy way to maintain the modules aliases to
separate out the gdb.gdbtk test suite from mainline gdb tree.  As of
3/21 that's not the case (or I wouldn't see the test suite).  Keeping it
in the tree would be fine provided that a better bypass than the current
(let TCL complain about 'cd' failure and dump call trace).  For now,
locally, I'm adding gdb.gdbtk to the skip list in site.exp.

- Jimmy

* Re: gdb.gdbtk tests
@ 2000-03-23 16:50     ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2000-03-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jimmy Guo; +Cc: gdb, Insight (GDB GUI)

Jimmy Guo wrote:

> >They are already available.  Either download the insight+dejagnu
> >snapshot or checkout the module ``insight''.
>
> Oh, I only extract gdb + dejagnu.
>
> >The ``GDB'' module doesn't include the gdb.gdbtk testsuites.  However,
> >given that it's pretty easy to end up with that directory, a more robust
> >test would be better.
>
> I don't know if there's any easy way to maintain the modules aliases to
> separate out the gdb.gdbtk test suite from mainline gdb tree.  As of
> 3/21 that's not the case (or I wouldn't see the test suite).  Keeping it
> in the tree would be fine provided that a better bypass than the current
> (let TCL complain about 'cd' failure and dump call trace).  For now,
> locally, I'm adding gdb.gdbtk to the skip list in site.exp.

At a technical level, yes it is possible.  The modules file and the
repository can be structured such that ``cvs co'' mix-n-matches a
collection of directories into a specific local structure. It was
considered when the GDB and binutils repositories were merged but
discarded as unnecessary at the time.

The relevant tests should be fixed.

	Andrew