public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* GUI for gdb
@ 2000-04-27  8:36 Navaz Katki
From: Navaz Katki @ 2000-04-27  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'insight@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Title: GUI for gdb

Hi,

I'm trying to download a gui for the gdb debugger.
I was unable to login as "anonymous" to your ftp
site.
I tried downloading from the mirror sites but what
I got was the regular command line debugger (gdb)
instead of a graphical one.

How do I download the GUI debugger?

navaz

* Re: GUI for gdb
@ 2000-04-27  8:46 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2000-04-27  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navaz Katki; +Cc: 'insight@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> Navaz Katki wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to download a gui for the gdb debugger.
> I was unable to login as "anonymous" to your ftp
> site.
> I tried downloading from the mirror sites but what
> I got was the regular command line debugger (gdb)
> instead of a graphical one.
>
> How do I download the GUI debugger?

I'll assume you were not able to login to sourceware because the maximum
anonymous user count was reached...

It appears that sourceware.cygnus.com and ftp.yggdrasil.com (both in
California) are very busy. I got through to sunsite.org.uk with no
problems, though. Make sure that you grab the file that starts with
"insight", not "gdb". The former should give you the GUI-based gdb
(although it will still run as a command line app, if, for example, you
don't have the environment variable DISPLAY set on a unix box). The
later will give you only a command-line gdb.

What host are you attempting to run this on? Were there any errors
reported to the terminal? If you're on a unix box, is DISPLAY set?

Keith
--
Why chat when you can Firetalk?
Firetalk ID: Keith (10320)

* Re: GUI for gdb
@ 2000-04-27  8:58 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-04-27  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navaz Katki; +Cc: 'insight@sourceware.cygnus.com'

> Navaz Katki wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to download a gui for the gdb debugger.
> I was unable to login as "anonymous" to your ftp
> site.
> I tried downloading from the mirror sites but what
> I got was the regular command line debugger (gdb)
> instead of a graphical one.
>
> How do I download the GUI debugger?

Don't get the gdb-* tar balls.  Look for the insight-* ones.

--
Fernando Nasser
Cygnus Solutions (a Red Hat company)    E-Mail:  fnasser@cygnus.com

* Re: GUI for gdb
@ 2000-04-27  9:02   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-04-27  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Navaz Katki, 'insight@sourceware.cygnus.com'

>> I'm trying to download a gui for the gdb debugger.
>> I was unable to login as "anonymous" to your ftp
>> site.

Keith> I'll assume you were not able to login to sourceware because
Keith> the maximum anonymous user count was reached...

sourceware intentionally has a very small limit.  You really have to
use a mirror.

Tom