public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-28  0:21 Cor van Loos
From: Cor van Loos @ 2000-06-28  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi there,

I do not seem to get it working. Configure works fine, but make exits with
an different error on all three builds I have tried.

HELP!

Cor van Loos

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-28  9:13 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-06-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor van Loos; +Cc: insight

What is your configure command line? What is your host? Can you post the errors
from these makes?

Cor van Loos wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I do not seem to get it working. Configure works fine, but make exits with
> an different error on all three builds I have tried.
>
> HELP!
>
> Cor van Loos

> Get 100% FREE Internet Access powered by Excite
> Visit http://freelane.excite.com/freeisp

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-29 18:00     ` Jim Ingham
From: Jim Ingham @ 2000-06-29 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Cor van Loos, Insight

Also sprach Tom Tromey:

> Jim> P.S. I also agree with Keith that libgui should NOT be trying to
> Jim> make the tclIndex as part of the build.  It is too fragile,
> Jim> particularly since the wrong version of Itclsh can cause really
> Jim> bad things to happen...
>
> One approach to this, which is both controversial and widely
> practiced, is to check in the derived file and make rebuilding it
> conditional upon configuring with --enable-maintainer-mode.
> This is easiest if you're using automake, but it is also fairly easy
> without it.
>
> Tom

That is what I tend to do - but in a sloppy sort of way...  In Insight we
just have a tclIndex target, which no other target depends on.  Then I just
remember that if I change any of the Tcl files, I need to run it.  This
depends on the developer being disciplined, but rebuilding the index with
every build is more not right, since the vast majority of the people who
build Insight are NOT messing with the libgui tcl files, and so for them to
build the index just adds an element of risk with no real benefit.

Jim
--
Jim Ingham                                 jingham@apple.com
Apple Computer

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-29 17:37   ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2000-06-29 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Ingham; +Cc: Cor van Loos, Insight

@ 2000-06-29 17:34   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-06-29 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Ingham; +Cc: Cor van Loos, Insight

Jim Ingham wrote:

> Also sprach Cor van Loos:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > I downloaded the insight+dejagnu-2000-0612.tar.bz2 file and decompressed it.
> >
> > After that I did the following:
> >

> > bash-2.04$ mkdir win32
> > bash-2.04$ cd win32
> > bash-2.04$ ../insight/configure --target=h8300-hms
> > ... (All goes okay here, I think..)
> > bash-2.04$ make
> > make  all-recursive
> > make[2]: Entering directory `/win32/libgui'
> > Making all in library
> > make[3]: Entering directory `/win32/libgui/library'
> > TCL_LIBRARY=../../../insight/libgui/library/../../tcl/library; export
> > TCL_LIBRAR
> > Y; \
> > here=`pwd`; \
> > \
> > cd ../../../insight/libgui/library && \
> > echo " auto_mkindex `pwd` advice.tcl balloon.tcl bbox.tcl bgerror.tcl
> > bindings
> > .tcl canvas.tcl cframe.tcl center.tcl debug.tcl def.tcl internet.tcl
> > font.tcl ge
> > nsym.tcl gettext.tcl hooks.tcl lframe.tcl list.tcl looknfeel.tcl menu.tcl
> > mono.t
> > cl multibox.tcl parse_args.tcl path.tcl postghost.tcl prefs.tcl print.tcl
> > sendpr
> > .tcl topbind.tcl toolbar.tcl treetable.tcl ulset.tcl wframe.tcl wingrab.tcl
> > vent
> > ry.tcl combobox.tcl pane.tcl panedwindow.tcl tree.tcl" |
> > $here/../../itcl/itcl/u
> > nix/itclsh.exe
> > /win32/libgui/library/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe: not found
> > make[3]: *** [tclIndex] Error 127
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui/library'
> > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/win32/libgui'
> > make: *** [all-libgui] Error 2
> > bash-2.04$
> >

> Yeah, this looks like a configure bug in libgui.  I vaguely remember fixing
> this in the past (or maybe Chris or Syd did?)?  Anyway, the configure is
> setting ITCL_SH to point to the unix directory.  Clearly, it should
> conditionalize based on whether the HOST is windows or not, and look in the
> win directory if it is.
>
> I think you can fix this with an environment variable, so if itclsh.exe is
> in /win32/itcl/itcl/win, then try:
>
> make ITCL_SH=/win32/itcl/itcl/win/itclsh.exe
>
> If this doesn't work, just go edit libgui/Makefile, and replace the
> unix/itclsh.exe with win/itclsh.exe, and that also will work.
>
> Somebody should fix this (not me, I ain't got no Windows boxes...)
>
> P.S. I also agree with Keith that libgui should NOT be trying to make the
> tclIndex as part of the build.  It is too fragile, particularly since the
> wrong version of Itclsh can cause really bad things to happen...

I probably broke this on Tuesday. I will look at this tomorrow when I am
back in the office.

> Jim
> Apple Computer

* Re: Building Insight (2)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-06-29 17:24 ` Jim Ingham
From: Jim Ingham @ 2000-06-29 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor van Loos, Insight

Also sprach Cor van Loos:

@ 2000-06-29 15:47 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2000-06-29 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor van Loos; +Cc: Insight

Cor van Loos wrote:

> I downloaded the insight+dejagnu-2000-0612.tar.bz2 file and decompressed it.
>
> After that I did the following:
>
> bash-2.04$ mkdir win32
> bash-2.04$ cd win32
> bash-2.04$ ../insight/configure --target=h8300-hms

> $here/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe
> /win32/libgui/library/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe: not found
>
> and that is where my make ends. I have tried this with several builds, older
> than 12-06-2000 and they all generate an error on a certain point.

 Recently I built both the 20000620 and 20000627 snapshots for Mingw host and
fr30-elf, h8300-hms (20000620) and mips64vr4100-elf (20000627) targets, just
to see that the Mingw-host support still works... The only problem seemed to
be that the icon resources are now somehow hided, my Win2k shows the executables
as 'console-only' apps and the 'Properties' says that there are no icons to
choose from. Perhaps there is some bug in my 'gdb/gdbtk/gdb.rc' after adding
more icons to it...

 I built them under Linux, so your problems seem to be related to the Cygwin
build environment, I'm quite sure there wouldn't be any problems with the
Cygwin host either, if building under Linux... Perhaps I'll try that soon, just
downloaded the 20000626 snapshots of Cygwin headers & libs, I have had the 1.1.2
ones for some time, but have tried them only for trying to build the Source
Navigator for Win32... This failed miserably, but after switching to Mingw as
the host, it shows some progress. The SN seems to be ported to Cygwin and MSVC
earlier, so I must try a compromise between them for Mingw...

> I don't know where to go next.

 I could email the 'insight-20000620' for H8/300 to you, but I'm not sure about
your motives... Do you want a working Insight for your H8/300 target or only to
build it? (no use for it afterwards...). If I should recommend a H8/300-target
Insight for Win32, I would choose the 4.18.x one (from 19991227) which I have put
for download... At least some people have said that it works... (I only try to
build these things sometimes...)

 Still there is the problem with the current HDI-systems... If you haven't the
older CMON monitor in your board, you have only a nice GDB with a GUI and with
a nice simulator. But how to communicate with the target board, that's the real
question...

Cheers, Kai

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-29  5:45 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2000-06-29  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor van Loos; +Cc: Insight

Cor van Loos wrote:

> I downloaded the insight+dejagnu-2000-0612.tar.bz2 file and decompressed it.
> /win32/libgui/library/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe: not found
>
> and that is where my make ends. I have tried this with several builds, older
> than 12-06-2000 and they all generate an error on a certain point. To clean
> up my HD I have thrown all other packages away.

This happens because libgui does not have a tclIndex file checked in.
Instead, it attempts to build the darn thing when it is installed. I
would force make to complete and then generate and copy the libgui
tclIndex file by hand. Heck, if you wanted one, I'm sure someone could
just send you a copy...

Keith

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-29  5:13 ` Mo DeJong
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-06-29  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight

> $here/../../itcl/itcl/u
> nix/itclsh.exe
> /win32/libgui/library/../../itcl/itcl/unix/itclsh.exe: not found

Well, that does not seem right. Why would a Windows
.exe file be sitting in the itcl/unix subdirectory?

We had some recent changes to how itclsh was found, could
those have broken something?

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-29  4:52 Cor van Loos
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Cor van Loos @ 2000-06-29  4:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight

@ 2000-06-23  5:57 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2000-06-23  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor van Loos; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Cor van Loos wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to use Insight in the following configuration:
>
>   Host:   MS-Windows (95/98/NT4) with CygWin
>   Target: Hitachi H8/3048F
>
> I downloaded the following packages:
>
>   insight-5.0.tar.gz              --> installed to c:\cygnus\insight
>   full.exe containing CygWin B20  --> installed to c:\cygnus

If you want to run cygwin on 95 and 98 machines you will need the
new net release not B20.

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/latest/setup.exe

I am not sure if that was the cause of your problem, but it would
be a good place to start. You will also want to get the most recent
snapshot of insight, other folks have reported problems building
insight 5.0 under Cygwin.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Building Insight (2)
@ 2000-06-23  5:35 Cor van Loos
From: Cor van Loos @ 2000-06-23  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi everyone,

I want to use Insight in the following configuration:

  Host:   MS-Windows (95/98/NT4) with CygWin
  Target: Hitachi H8/3048F

I downloaded the following packages:

  insight-5.0.tar.gz              --> installed to c:\cygnus\insight
  full.exe containing CygWin B20  --> installed to c:\cygnus

Then I invoked the following commands:

 bash-2.02$ sh configure --target=h8300-hms --prefix=/cygnus/insight

 bash-2.02$ make

So far all okay (I think) next step:

 bash-2.02$ make install

Result of this action:

 /cygnus/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /cygnus/insight
/cygnus/insight

 Making install in doc
 make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
 make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
 Making install in po
 if test -r ./../../mkinstalldirs; then \
   ./../../mkinstalldirs /cygnus/insight/share; \
 else \
   ../mkinstalldirs /cygnus/insight/share; \
 fi
 ./../../mkinstalldirs: not found
 make[2]: *** [install-data-yes] Error 127
 make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
 make: *** [install-bfd] Error 2

Question: What am I doing wrong?

I hope someone can help me because I am stuck here for two days now.

Regards,

Cor van Loos