public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* How to embed path info into assembler sources?
@ 2000-07-13 10:29 Serge Nikulin
From: Serge Nikulin @ 2000-07-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi, All

Among other files my project has many M68K assembler sources in MRI format.
The problem: GDB can not find these files to show the sources.
Apparently these assembler files have to contain some path information
embedded into them.
Question: What is the right way to embed this info in my *.abs file?
--target=m68k-coff
host platform is NT4 + Cygwin
GDB is in TCP/IP remote mode.

Thank you
   Serge

* Re: How to embed path info into assembler sources?
@ 2000-07-13 10:57 ` Cal Erickson
From: Cal Erickson @ 2000-07-13 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge Nikulin; +Cc: insight

Serge,
Actually what is wrong is that the object modules generated
do not have the path information in them for debug information.
If you can re-assemble these modules using the -g option you
should get teh debug information GDB needs. The default is
option is -ng.

Cal Erickson MontaVista Support

Serge Nikulin wrote:

> Hi, All
>
> Among other files my project has many M68K assembler sources in MRI format.
> The problem: GDB can not find these files to show the sources.
> Apparently these assembler files have to contain some path information
> embedded into them.
> Question: What is the right way to embed this info in my *.abs file?
> --target=m68k-coff
> host platform is NT4 + Cygwin
> GDB is in TCP/IP remote mode.
>
> Thank you
>    Serge

Cal Erickson                 MontaVista Software Inc.
Customer Support Engineer    490 Potrero Avenue
Phone (408) 328-0304         Sunnyvale CA 94085
Fax   (408) 328-9204         e-mail cal_erickson@mvista.com
Pager 877-566-2012           support 1-800-759-8888 pin 202-7489
web http://www.mvista.com    support e-mail: support@mvista.com
eCode: http://cal@work.com.ecode.com

* Re: How to embed path info into assembler sources?
@ 2000-07-13 11:19   ` Serge Nikulin
       [not found]     ` <396E156C.A427B893@mvista.com>
From: Serge Nikulin @ 2000-07-13 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cal_erickson, insight

> If you can re-assemble these modules using the -g option you
> should get teh debug information GDB needs. The default is
> option is -ng.

I do use it all the time:
m68k-coff-as -I../../tlbx/GNU/inc -I../../sprt/include -g -gstabs --mri -m68
020 --bitwise-or --disp-size-default-16 --base-size-default-16 --defsym
__GNU__=1 -o accessfrme.o accessfrme.a

Objects do not have path info anyway. But they do have all other debug info
(symbol tables, etc).

@ 2000-07-13 14:38       ` Serge Nikulin
From: Serge Nikulin @ 2000-07-13 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cal_erickson, insight

Cal,

> This is an interesting problem. By default the m68k assembler produces
iee695
> files as output. These files would have the path information in them for
debug.
> If you are running a very old m68k assembler that produces coff output

I do not use MRI's assembler.
my assembler is a standard GNU binutils-2.9.1 as assembler (aka GAS).
It was targeted as --target=m68k-coff
The resulting executable is m68k-coff-as.exe
My sources ARE MRI-compatible.
As a matter of fact, I have to maintain this MRI compatibility because other
folks over here
still use MRI tools to build the project.

So the problem is with GAS.
GAS does not  incorporate path info into objects.
In comparison, gcc incorporates path info into intermediate *.s sources.
But it does it in native GAS format (.stabs). Apparently GAS in MRI mode
does not understand these stabs.

The question is how to incorporate pathinfo into the object file or into the
final abs file.

* Re: How to embed path info into assembler sources?
@ 2000-07-14  6:01         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2000-07-14  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge Nikulin; +Cc: insight

Serge Nikulin wrote:

> So the problem is with GAS.
> GAS does not  incorporate path info into objects.
> In comparison, gcc incorporates path info into intermediate *.s sources.
> But it does it in native GAS format (.stabs). Apparently GAS in MRI mode
> does not understand these stabs.
>
> The question is how to incorporate pathinfo into the object file or into the
> final abs file.

One suggestion: use objdump to verify that the path info is not included
(or tell gdb to dump the symbol table, see "maint print symbols") and
verify that the pathnames are not there. If they're not (and there is
debug info), try assembling a file without "--mri" and repeating. If
it's still not, I suggest you ask someone on the binutils list (CC
gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com) and include all of the above info.

Sorry, I haven't done any assembler-specific work yet. :-(
Keith