public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* extending Insight to display app specific data
@ 2000-11-09 15:56 Brian Stell
From: Brian Stell @ 2000-11-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight_mailing_list

Has there been a thread on how to extend Insight
to display app specific data?

The reason I ask is as more apps support Unicode
it is hard for the developers to see the text in strings
since the strings are no longer simple "char *".

The strings could be UTF-8, UTF-16, some kind
of C++ object, etc.

What provision is there for Insight users to extend
Insight to display an application specific item like
this?

Brian Stell

* Re: extending Insight to display app specific data
@ 2000-11-09 16:03 ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2000-11-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Stell; +Cc: insight_mailing_list

Brian Stell wrote:

> Has there been a thread on how to extend Insight
> to display app specific data?
>
> The reason I ask is as more apps support Unicode
> it is hard for the developers to see the text in strings
> since the strings are no longer simple "char *".
>
> The strings could be UTF-8, UTF-16, some kind
> of C++ object, etc.
>
> What provision is there for Insight users to extend
> Insight to display an application specific item like
> this?

Brian,

You should ask first if there are plans for GDB (gdb@sources.redhat.com) to
handle/display Unicode data.   Insight, being the GDB GUI, will probably
follow with some way to access what GDB provides.

F.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300

* Re: extending Insight to display app specific data
@ 2000-11-11  2:12   ` Eray Ozkural (exa)
From: Eray Ozkural (exa) @ 2000-11-11  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Nasser; +Cc: Brian Stell, insight_mailing_list

Fernando Nasser wrote:
> You should ask first if there are plans for GDB (gdb@sources.redhat.com) to
> handle/display Unicode data.   Insight, being the GDB GUI, will probably
> follow with some way to access what GDB provides.

Is it possible to tell insight something like this:

   * if c++, parse the type..
   * see if it is, say, a certain standard library datatype.
   * then draw a graphical representation of the data, or dump a textual
     representation (say for the string<> type) into the watched var

Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr