public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RFC: New SourceNav style search widget for Source Window
@ 2001-01-19  8:43 Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-01-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight, Jim Ingham, Keith R Seitz, Syd Polk

(I mistyped the list address and this one bounced.  I sent it before the
"One last thing..." one,  My appologies to the ones that got it duplicated).

Well, we will need new screen shots and updating the manuals is hard work
(I am currently reviewing a couple of manuals) so lets open the pandora box
so everything happens at once.

Jim Ingham has pointed out a UI deficiency we have with regards to our search
text entry widget.  Few people actually know its function.  As it acts as a
double for a download progress bar, users tend to think of it as such.

I know, people should read documentation.  But one of these gurus of Human-Computer
Interfaces once said that a test for a good UI was that the users could figure how
it works without consulting the manuals.

Source Navigator has a very nice search widget which is a combobox.  Previous
search patterns are memorized so one does not need to retype them.  They even
have a small button (there are 3, but the other 2 does not necessarily apply
to us at the moment) that works like F3 (search/search next).

The options are (if you think of another one please speak up):

1) Leave as it is (always there :-) )

2) Just add a "Search: " text to the left of the text entry widget and
   maybe change it to "Progress: " when using it as progress bar.

3) Add a Source Nav style search combobox (with or without the button).

Option 3 may seem the ideal, but we have a real state problem.  A combobox
plus the progress bar may not fit in there.  Well, the progress bar does not
logically fit in there either, but what would I do with it?   I like seeing the
thing being filled, specially when downloading to a slow board (or a large program
to a fast board).

The PC address and line number information (in the toolbar) is not used when we
are downloading.  We could use the double technique in there.  It is in the middle
though, and I do prefer the progress bar aligned right (maybe because I got used to
it -- but so must have the other users).

This brings to light another thing that some people have complained about.
Their complaint is that the stack control buttons are separated from the others.
They think these buttons should be before the window ones.  Note that these are
people with Microsoft background, so they may be influenced by something from
MS Development Studio (I don't remember where MS places this or if they have it).
Changing positions of buttons is B.A.D., but this can solve two problems at once
(if you also think the stack buttons should join the others).

Anyway, UI should not change frequently as users get used to the way things are.
We have a window of opportunity here as Insight will probably get a good boost
in number of users in 2001.  People will also accept better some improvements if
they come with the new versions (like GDB 5.1) etc.  So these is the time to
complain about things you don't like and suggest improvements.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-01-19  8:43 UTC | newest]