public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk
@ 2001-01-18 19:50 Scott Bean
From: Scott Bean @ 2001-01-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hello,

After downloading both tarballs (gdb-5.0 and insight -5.0) from
' ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/releases/ ', I realized that I only
needed to download the insight tarball.  Unfortunately the README on
that ftp site does not mention that at all!

Now my question is how do I make/install the insight-only part of the
insight tarball?  My main concern is that I already have tcl/tk 8.3
installed and do not want it to get stepped on by the tcl/tk 8.1(?) that
is part of the insight tarball.  Documentation was very light in this
tarball, so I am really unsure about the build process.  Is it smart
enough not to rebuild existing items via the configure command or the
makefiles?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Scott

* Re: insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk
@ 2001-01-18 21:01 ` Jeff Holcomb
From: Jeff Holcomb @ 2001-01-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bean; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Scott Bean wrote:

> Now my question is how do I make/install the insight-only part of the
> insight tarball?  My main concern is that I already have tcl/tk 8.3
> installed and do not want it to get stepped on by the tcl/tk 8.1(?) that
> is part of the insight tarball.  Documentation was very light in this
> tarball, so I am really unsure about the build process.  Is it smart
> enough not to rebuild existing items via the configure command or the
> makefiles?

Unfortunately, you need to build and install everything that is there.  The
Tcl/Tk that is included with Insight has some patches that are needed.
Insight won't (currently) work with a different or newer version of
Tcl/Tk.  Yes, this is being worked on.

I'd suggest using the --prefix option to configure to specify where you
want Insight (and its corresponding version of Tcl/Tk) to install.  That way
you can have both Insight and your newer Tcl/Tk 8.3 be in different places.

Cheers.

* Re: insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk
@ 2001-01-18 21:55 ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2001-01-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bean; +Cc: insight

Scott Bean wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After downloading both tarballs (gdb-5.0 and insight -5.0) from
> ' ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/releases/ ', I realized that I only
> needed to download the insight tarball.  Unfortunately the README on
> that ftp site does not mention that at all!
>
> Now my question is how do I make/install the insight-only part of the
> insight tarball?  My main concern is that I already have tcl/tk 8.3
> installed and do not want it to get stepped on by the tcl/tk 8.1(?) that
> is part of the insight tarball.  Documentation was very light in this
> tarball, so I am really unsure about the build process.  Is it smart
> enough not to rebuild existing items via the configure command or the
> makefiles?
>
> Appreciate your help on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

The tcl version that gets built with insight should not conflict with
your Tcl version. Insight requires a custom version of tcl/tk at this
time, so it does not work with Tcl/Tk 8.3.

* Re: insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk
@ 2001-01-19  7:41   ` Laurent Duperval
From: Laurent Duperval @ 2001-01-19  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: spolk; +Cc: scottb, insight

On 18 Jan, Syd Polk wrote:
> Scott Bean wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After downloading both tarballs (gdb-5.0 and insight -5.0) from
>> ' ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/gdb/releases/ ', I realized that I only
>> needed to download the insight tarball.  Unfortunately the README on
>> that ftp site does not mention that at all!
>>
>> Now my question is how do I make/install the insight-only part of the
>> insight tarball?  My main concern is that I already have tcl/tk 8.3
>> installed and do not want it to get stepped on by the tcl/tk 8.1(?) that
>> is part of the insight tarball.  Documentation was very light in this
>> tarball, so I am really unsure about the build process.  Is it smart
>> enough not to rebuild existing items via the configure command or the
>> makefiles?
>>
>> Appreciate your help on this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>
> The tcl version that gets built with insight should not conflict with
> your Tcl version. Insight requires a custom version of tcl/tk at this
> time, so it does not work with Tcl/Tk 8.3.

One thing I've found, though, is that you better install insight in its own
subdirectory, otherwise, when you do a "make install", you will overwrite
the tcl.h and tk.h that are already installed.

One of the things I really would like to see is a minimal install where only
the files *required* by insight are installed. That means, don't install any
of the Tcl/Itcl/Tk/Tix/... man pages, don't install any of the lib*.a files,
don't instal any .h files.

As soon as I've *really* had it, I'll submit patches. :-)

MY EMAIL ADDRESS HAS CHANGED --> UPDATE YOUR ADDRESSBOOK

Laurent Duperval                   "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
Netergy Networks - Java Center            and we who are here have failed it."
Phone: (514) 282-8484 ext. 228                                   -Doug Camilli
mailto:laurent.duperval@netergynet.com           Penguin Power!

* Re: insight and existing gdb, tcl/tk
@ 2001-01-19 10:42     ` Scott Bean
From: Scott Bean @ 2001-01-19 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Duperval; +Cc: spolk, insight

Yes, I agree.  I was too chicken to do a make install and just set things up
myself.

While I have your ear(s), I have a problem with the 'list' command.  When I do a
'list myfile.cc:1' in the console window, the source is only listed in the
console window and not in the source window (the source window doesn't change at
all).  This seems pretty odd to me, so I was wondering if I was doing something
wrong or hadn't set it up properly.

Appreciate any help,
Scott

@ 2001-01-19 11:37       ` Fernando Nasser
From: Fernando Nasser @ 2001-01-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Bean; +Cc: Laurent Duperval, spolk, insight

Scott Bean wrote:

> Yes, I agree.  I was too chicken to do a make install and just set things up
> myself.
>
> While I have your ear(s), I have a problem with the 'list' command.  When I do a
> 'list myfile.cc:1' in the console window, the source is only listed in the
> console window and not in the source window (the source window doesn't change at
> all).  This seems pretty odd to me, so I was wondering if I was doing something
> wrong or hadn't set it up properly.

Hi Scott,

No, you're not doing anything wrong.  The little console is only there to supply
some alternative way to do something that the GUI does not yet implement.
For instance, we still cannot insert hardware breakpoints in the GUI (mostly because
of a GDB deficiency -- it is in our TODO list nevertheless).  Another example is
some target-specific commands that are not generic so the GUI does not have any
control related to it. As such, it is not the right place to issue commands and the
GUI is not aware of most things you do there.  It is a sort of "back door".

There is another nice GUI feature to do what you want though (in addition to the
controls in the Source Window). Try the "Function Browser".

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser