public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Drop-downs in Insight for Linux
@ 2003-07-02 22:01 Schumacher, Gordon
From: Schumacher, Gordon @ 2003-07-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight list (E-mail)

In my ongoing saga of trying to build a functional DOS32 cross-debugger...

To eliminate questionable behaviours of CygWin, I've now built the 20030701
snapshot as a Linux to DJGPP cross-debugger.  I built  binutils-2.13.2, and
then Insight with:

cd /usr/src
rm -rf insight+dejagnu-20030701/dejagnu
mv insight+dejagnu-20030701 insight-20030701
cd build/gdb
/usr/src/insight-20030701/configure --prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-msdosdjgpp
--target=i686-pc-msdosdjgpp
make all install
cd /usr/local/share
for i in /usr/local/i686-pc-msdosdjgpp/share/*
do
   ln $i -s
done

This builds fine.  But, when I run it, drop-down boxes such as the one to
select the source file, or the source/asm selection, don't do anything.
They click - the "3-D" effect changes to show that something's happened -
but no drop-down list appears.

The host system is running SuSE 8.2 - this is kernel 2.4.20, with KDE 3.1.1.

Any thoughts?  Is this a problem that anyone else is seeing?

* Re: Drop-downs in Insight for Linux
@ 2003-07-07  2:07 ` John Williams
From: John Williams @ 2003-07-07  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Schumacher, Gordon; +Cc: Insight list (E-mail)

Schumacher, Gordon wrote:

> This builds fine.  But, when I run it, drop-down boxes such as the one to
> select the source file, or the source/asm selection, don't do anything.
> They click - the "3-D" effect changes to show that something's happened -
> but no drop-down list appears.
>
> The host system is running SuSE 8.2 - this is kernel 2.4.20, with KDE 3.1.1.
>
> Any thoughts?  Is this a problem that anyone else is seeing?

Hey Gordon,

This is interesting, I had what sounds like exactly the same problem
with Insight 5.1 under redHat Linux 8 and KDE.  It turned out that the
Insight TCL/TK scripts for the dropdown control is the problem - I
corresponded with the author a few times and located the problem, but
never found a fix.  However, many other people on many other platforms
have no problem, makes me think it's a problem with the KDE window manager.

Also I am using xwin32 on PC platform as my x client, that might have
been a relevant factor as well.

You can test it by creating a tiny tcl/tk application that uses the
dropdown - what actually happens is that the drop down list gets drawn
behind the current window, thus it is there but invisible.  you can
click the dropdown then use up/down arrow and make a selection, but not
see it.

If you are a tcl/tk hacker i can send the relevant info so you can
explore if you want.

Regards,

John