public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: Insight-5.3 hangs
@ 2003-10-27  8:49 Arthur Prosso
From: Arthur Prosso @ 2003-10-27  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: insight

Hello.
I have downloaded insight-6.0, as you recommended.
Compilation and Installation succeeded.
At run time there are exactly the same problems as with insight-5.3 (see mail below)
Please note again, that I used gcc-3.2.3 for insight compilation (the same version
of compiler was used for building the test application being debugged by insight).

What is the recommended version of gcc for insight compilation?
Any ideas for resolution of the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Arthur Prosso

From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2003-10-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Prosso; +Cc: insight

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 00:49, Arthur Prosso wrote:
> Hello.
> I have downloaded insight-6.0, as you recommended.
> Compilation and Installation succeeded.
> At run time there are exactly the same problems as with insight-5.3 (see mail below)
> Please note again, that I used gcc-3.2.3 for insight compilation (the same version
> of compiler was used for building the test application being debugged by insight).
>
> What is the recommended version of gcc for insight compilation?

Any version should work fine.  You said you already built it. There is
no need to use the same versions of gcc to build Insight and the
application being debugged.

> Any ideas for resolution of the problem?

When you build Insight, you also built gdb.
Try the gdb you built and see if it works.

Martin

* Re: Insight-5.3 hangs
@ 2003-10-27 19:54   ` Evan Lavelle
From: Evan Lavelle @ 2003-10-27 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin M. Hunt; +Cc: Arthur Prosso, insight

Martin M. Hunt wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 00:49, Arthur Prosso wrote:
>
>>Hello.
>>I have downloaded insight-6.0, as you recommended.
>>Compilation and Installation succeeded.
>>At run time there are exactly the same problems as with insight-5.3 (see mail below)
>>Please note again, that I used gcc-3.2.3 for insight compilation (the same version
>>of compiler was used for building the test application being debugged by insight).
>>
>>What is the recommended version of gcc for insight compilation?
>

> Any version should work fine.  You said you already built it. There is
> no need to use the same versions of gcc to build Insight and the
> application being debugged.

My recollection is that Insight 6.0, compiled on gcc 3.3, can't be used
to debug binaries compiled with 2.96. I forget what the problem was -the
console window showed an error message when loading the 2.96 executable.
Was there some change in symbol meanings between gcc 2.96 and 3.3?

Evan

* Re: Insight-5.3 hangs
@ 2003-10-22  9:41 ` Martin M. Hunt
From: Martin M. Hunt @ 2003-10-22  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arthur; +Cc: insight

--
Martin M. Hunt <hunt@redhat.com>
Red Hat Inc.

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 05:15, Arthur Prosso wrote:

> I am using Red Hat 7.3.
> Recently I have donloaded  insight-5.3 sources.
> I used gcc 3.2.2 for compilation.
>
> Compilation and installation succeeded. I did not use the defualt
> installation location,
> but  /opt/insight.
>
> Problem:
> Running insight  hangs after pressing the Run button on anyy application
> I run.
> I also tried to debug the simple "Hello world" application - with the
> same result.
>
> The Status window says "Program is Running". The breakpoint is never
> reached .
> It does not matter whether I set a breakpoint or not.
> The insight window is never repainted and the whole insight process
> seems to hang.
> The insight process CPU usage is constantly about 1%
>

> Any help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Arthur Prosso

* Insight-5.3 hangs
@ 2003-10-22  9:02 Arthur Prosso