public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight TCL does not understand cygwin filenames
@ 2000-06-09  5:57 Tim Chick
From: Tim Chick @ 2000-06-09  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

When I compile a simple hello.c file with cygwin gcc,
say /src/test/hello.c
then try to debug this file with insight, I get a stack
trace, "could not stat file /src/test/hello.c"

If I use gdb -nw, I can list the file properly, and there
are no problems.

This is because insight does a stat <filename> to check
the files modification time.

The tcl supplied with insight does not understand cygwin
filenames, so tries to stat "\src\test\hello.c"

As I have / mounted as e:\cygwin1.1, tcl should try to stat
E:\cygwin1.1\src\test\hello.c

Modifiying the Tcl_TranslateFileName function, in
insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c as follows
corrects this, and Insight works correctly.

Compare: (<)E:\cygnus\src\original\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c
   with: (>)E:\cygnus\src\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c

923a923,927
>     char dos_name[PATH_MAX];
>
>     cygwin_conv_to_win32_path( name, dos_name );
>
>     name=dos_name;

Note that if I happened to have / mounted as E:\ insight
would have worked without the above patch.

Tim

* Re: Insight TCL does not understand cygwin filenames
@ 2000-06-09 17:56 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Chick; +Cc: insight

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Tim Chick wrote:
>When I compile a simple hello.c file with cygwin gcc,
>say /src/test/hello.c
>then try to debug this file with insight, I get a stack
>trace, "could not stat file /src/test/hello.c"

This has been recently discussed on the insight and cygwin mailing
lists.  I will be uploading a new version of gdb to

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/gdb

sometime tonight.  It should rectify this problem.

However, as I have just pointed out in another message, insight
has never had the ability to open files based on cygwin paths
when using a dialog box.

>The tcl supplied with insight does not understand cygwin
>filenames, so tries to stat "\src\test\hello.c"
>
>As I have / mounted as e:\cygwin1.1, tcl should try to stat
>E:\cygwin1.1\src\test\hello.c
>
>Modifiying the Tcl_TranslateFileName function, in
>insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c as follows
>corrects this, and Insight works correctly.
>
>Compare: (<)E:\cygnus\src\original\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c
>   with: (>)E:\cygnus\src\insight-5.0\tcl\generic\tclFileName.c
>
>923a923,927
>>     char dos_name[PATH_MAX];
>>
>>     cygwin_conv_to_win32_path( name, dos_name );
>>
>>     name=dos_name;
>
>Note that if I happened to have / mounted as E:\ insight
>would have worked without the above patch.

You might want to consider sending a patch and a ChangeLog entry
to gdb@sourceware.cygnus.com to see if it will be accepted into
the mainline sources.

cgf

* Re: Insight TCL does not understand cygwin filenames
@ 2000-06-12 10:37   ` Syd Polk
From: Syd Polk @ 2000-06-12 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Faylor, Tim Chick; +Cc: insight

At 08:56 PM 6/9/00 -0400, Chris Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Tim Chick wrote:
> >When I compile a simple hello.c file with cygwin gcc,
> >say /src/test/hello.c
> >then try to debug this file with insight, I get a stack
> >trace, "could not stat file /src/test/hello.c"
>
>This has been recently discussed on the insight and cygwin mailing
>lists.  I will be uploading a new version of gdb to
>
> ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/gdb
>
>sometime tonight.  It should rectify this problem.
>
>However, as I have just pointed out in another message, insight
>has never had the ability to open files based on cygwin paths
>when using a dialog box.

Basically, cygwin is another filesystem. Tcl right now supports three file
systems, unix, windows and macintosh. Making tcl understand cygwin is no
trivial undertaking, and means adding another file system. In addition, you
have to add it such that either windows native or cygwin always works.

Syd Polk		spolk@redhat.com
Engineering Manager	+1 415 777 9810 x 241
Red Hat, Inc.