public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* The difference between "Remote" and "GDBserver"
@ 2004-04-20  8:38 Toralf Lund
From: Toralf Lund @ 2004-04-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

In Target Settings, what is the difference between "Remote" and
"GDBserver"? I'm debugging with a "POD" (BDI2000) that has built-in GDB
support. Which target setting do I use? "Remote/TCP" and "GDBserver/TCP"
both appear to work, in a way, but I do get some hangs mentioned already
on this list...

- Toralf

* RE: The difference between "Remote" and "GDBserver"
@ 2004-04-20  8:43 ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2004-04-20  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Toralf Lund', insight

Have a read of the manual.

http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_18.html

Cheers,
JonB

* Re: The difference between "Remote" and "GDBserver"
@ 2004-04-20  8:53   ` Toralf Lund
From: Toralf Lund @ 2004-04-20  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbeniston; +Cc: insight

Jon Beniston wrote:

> [...]
No, I don't think that explains it. In fact, gdb doesn't make a
distinction between GDBserver and (other kind of) Remote at all, as far
as I can tell.

But perhaps this has something to do with it?

    You don't need to use the |load| command in GDB when using
gdbserver, since the program is already on the target.