public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-06-09  0:16 Steven Johnson
From: Steven Johnson @ 2005-06-09  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Building on what was discussed before.

I have (sitting on my HDD) an Insight snapshot from CVS
insight-6.3.50-20050609.tar.bz2

I would like to put it somewhere official as a convenience for people to
use, instead of CVS.  It has had a number of fixes/improvements over the
previous official release, and builds for me (tested only with a PowerPC
embedded target).  I would then like to cut a new snapshot, leading up
to an official insight-6.4 release in synch with GDB as improvements
dictate.  The idea of the snapshots is to get as wide an audience as
possible for testing leading up to an official 6.4 version.

I would also like to edit the web site, to reflect the current status of
insight, point to the last official release (6.1) and this/later snapshots.

However from this point, i do not know what to do to:
a) put the snapshot somewhere official
b) update the web pages

any help would be appreciated.

Steven

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-06-09 15:58 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-06-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Johnson; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 11:16 -1100, Steven Johnson wrote:

> However from this point, i do not know what to do to:
> a) put the snapshot somewhere official

I don't know, either. We used to put them with gdb when gdb people did
the snapshots. I presume that it should go into the same place.

I have write access to most of gdb on sourceware. The problem is that I
can't write to the snapshots directory. I believe the group permissions
are incorrect -- they're marked gdbadmin instead of gdb like the rest of
the gdb subdirs.

I'll ask overseers.

> b) update the web pages

Ah, that's easier. [Actually, I see that I am sitting on a few updates
to the web pages to mention 6.3. I guess I forgot and never checked them
in. :-(]

All the web pages on sourceware are under cvs control. I can arrange to
get you access to those pages. I'll follow-up with you privately on
that. [PS. Do you have a sourceware/sources.redhat.com account?]

Keith

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-06 16:40 ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-06 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight; +Cc: Steven Johnson

Steven Johnson wrote:
> Building on what was discussed before.
>
> I have (sitting on my HDD) an Insight snapshot from CVS
> insight-6.3.50-20050609.tar.bz2
>
> I would like to put it somewhere official as a convenience for people to
> use, instead of CVS.  It has had a number of fixes/improvements over the
> previous official release, and builds for me (tested only with a PowerPC
> embedded target).  I would then like to cut a new snapshot, leading up
> to an official insight-6.4 release in synch with GDB as improvements
> dictate.  The idea of the snapshots is to get as wide an audience as
> possible for testing leading up to an official 6.4 version.

I'd like this if possible - did you get anywhere with finding a home for
it? I can't find it on either ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/
or ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/.

Cheers

Rick

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-06 19:01   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-07-06 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rt-insight; +Cc: insight, Steven Johnson

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 17:40 +0100, Richard Tierney wrote:
> Steven Johnson wrote:
> > Building on what was discussed before.
> >
> > I have (sitting on my HDD) an Insight snapshot from CVS
> > insight-6.3.50-20050609.tar.bz2
> >
> > I would like to put it somewhere official as a convenience for people to
> > use, instead of CVS.  It has had a number of fixes/improvements over the
> > previous official release, and builds for me (tested only with a PowerPC
> > embedded target).  I would then like to cut a new snapshot, leading up
> > to an official insight-6.4 release in synch with GDB as improvements
> > dictate.  The idea of the snapshots is to get as wide an audience as
> > possible for testing leading up to an official 6.4 version.
>
> I'd like this if possible - did you get anywhere with finding a home for
> it? I can't find it on either ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/
> or ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/.

The sourceware gods have given us a place to put stuff: pub/insight. We
can do whatever we want with it.

I'll start the whole thing off by doing a snapshot. Probably won't be
doing diffs or anything like that to start with, but at least a snapshot
every Monday.

For the most part, I guess I'll follow the gdb snapshot conventions.
I've put a weekly snapshot based this morning's sources in
pub/insight/snapshots/current.

Unfortunately, they don't build because of a build problem in BFD.

Keith

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-07  0:30     ` Steven Johnson
From: Steven Johnson @ 2005-07-07  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 17:40 +0100, Richard Tierney wrote:
>

>>Steven Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Building on what was discussed before.
>>>
>>>I have (sitting on my HDD) an Insight snapshot from CVS
>>>insight-6.3.50-20050609.tar.bz2
>>>
>>>I would like to put it somewhere official as a convenience for people to
>>>use, instead of CVS.  It has had a number of fixes/improvements over the
>>>previous official release, and builds for me (tested only with a PowerPC
>>>embedded target).  I would then like to cut a new snapshot, leading up
>>>to an official insight-6.4 release in synch with GDB as improvements
>>>dictate.  The idea of the snapshots is to get as wide an audience as
>>>possible for testing leading up to an official 6.4 version.
>>>

>>I'd like this if possible - did you get anywhere with finding a home for
>>it? I can't find it on either ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/releases/
>>or ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/current/.
>>

>The sourceware gods have given us a place to put stuff: pub/insight. We
>can do whatever we want with it.
>
>I'll start the whole thing off by doing a snapshot. Probably won't be
>doing diffs or anything like that to start with, but at least a snapshot
>every Monday.
>
>For the most part, I guess I'll follow the gdb snapshot conventions.
>I've put a weekly snapshot based this morning's sources in
>pub/insight/snapshots/current.
>
>Unfortunately, they don't build because of a build problem in BFD.

Im out of my office till next week, but im working on an update to the
insight website which will point to these snapshots.  Also, I can make
my previous snapshot available, it does build (probably cut before the
problem with BFD).  Which may be useful for those who want a late
version of the code, but want it to build also, at least until BFD is
fixed at some time in the future.  Im expecting to have this update
ready next week.

Steven

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-07 11:23     ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-07 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Thanks. A question on the build process, if I can:

My Centos-4 box comes with gdb (6.1post-1.20040607.62rh) configured as
"i386-redhat-linux-gnu". I've just built insight-6.1.tar.bz2, and this
comes up as "i686-pc-linux-gnu" by default. Is this significant? Should
gdb/insight know about RedHat-ness?

For anyone else building on RHEL/Centos-4, configure doesn't seem to
pick up the X libs correctly; you need to run configure with the
'--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' and '--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include'
options.

RT

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-07 11:47       ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-07 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

Richard Tierney wrote:
> Thanks. A question on the build process, if I can:
>
> My Centos-4 box comes with gdb (6.1post-1.20040607.62rh) configured as
> "i386-redhat-linux-gnu". I've just built insight-6.1.tar.bz2, and this
> comes up as "i686-pc-linux-gnu" by default. Is this significant? Should
> gdb/insight know about RedHat-ness?
>
> For anyone else building on RHEL/Centos-4, configure doesn't seem to
> pick up the X libs correctly; you need to run configure with the
> '--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' and '--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include'
> options.

I've just had a bad start with the 6.1 tarball. If I debug 'prog' with
gdb, I get:

 > gdb prog
(gdb) run
Starting program: prog
prog: error while loading shared libraries: libx.so.0: cannot open

Program exited with code 0177.

If I run with Insight, however, the gui hangs up after I issue the 'run'
command, and I have to kill it.

Thanks -

RT

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-08  8:36         ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-08  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

Richard Tierney wrote:

> I've just had a bad start with the 6.1 tarball. If I debug 'prog' with
> gdb, I get:
>
>  > gdb prog
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: prog
> prog: error while loading shared libraries: libx.so.0: cannot open
>
> Program exited with code 0177.
>
> If I run with Insight, however, the gui hangs up after I issue the 'run'
> command, and I have to kill it.

Answering my own question - I was running insight in the background,
which is how I'd run ddd; it needs to run in the foreground. ddd
redirects output to the console window.

Perhaps this should be written down somewhere? Or perhaps it is?  :)

RT

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-08 17:05           ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-07-08 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rt-insight; +Cc: Insight List

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 09:35 +0100, Richard Tierney wrote:

> > I've just had a bad start with the 6.1 tarball. If I debug 'prog' with
> > gdb, I get:
> >
> >  > gdb prog
> > (gdb) run
> > Starting program: prog
> > prog: error while loading shared libraries: libx.so.0: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > Program exited with code 0177.
> >
> > If I run with Insight, however, the gui hangs up after I issue the 'run'
> > command, and I have to kill it.
>
> Answering my own question - I was running insight in the background,
> which is how I'd run ddd; it needs to run in the foreground. ddd
> redirects output to the console window.
>
> Perhaps this should be written down somewhere? Or perhaps it is?  :)

You should be able to run Insight in the background. If you're running
natively, then be sure to use the Run button (at least once) and select
File-Target Settings... and click the "use xterm for inferior output"
button.

Now, as to why gdb won't run an executable (the whole libx.so.0 thing),
I haven't a clue. I don't even know what libx.so is. What host are you
running?

Keith

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-08 17:07       ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2005-07-08 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rt-insight; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 12:23 +0100, Richard Tierney wrote:

> My Centos-4 box comes with gdb (6.1post-1.20040607.62rh) configured as
> "i386-redhat-linux-gnu". I've just built insight-6.1.tar.bz2, and this
> comes up as "i686-pc-linux-gnu" by default. Is this significant? Should
> gdb/insight know about RedHat-ness?

No, the "redhat" in your host string is put in there to easily identify
it as a Red Hat release. The gdb executable may have been tweaked a
little for release to support some new kernel feature, but I only recall
that being done a while ago to support separate debug files.

> For anyone else building on RHEL/Centos-4, configure doesn't seem to
> pick up the X libs correctly; you need to run configure with the
> '--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' and '--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include'
> options.

That's odd... That is the standard place for those things. Where does
configure think they normally exist? Do you have another set of X libs
installed or something?

Keith

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-08 20:52             ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-08 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight List

Keith Seitz wrote:

> You should be able to run Insight in the background. If you're running
> natively, then be sure to use the Run button (at least once) and select
> File-Target Settings... and click the "use xterm for inferior output"
> button.

Thanks - hadn't noticed that.

> Now, as to why gdb won't run an executable (the whole libx.so.0 thing),
> I haven't a clue. I don't even know what libx.so is. What host are you
> running?

Don't worry - that was just an arbitrary message to show that gdb did
something but insight appeared not to do anything [but (slightly)
interesting, though: my executable ran correctly outside gdb, but the
loader couldn't find a shred lib under gdb; the reason being that gdb
ran my prog in an inferior shell, which executed my .cshrc on startup,
which over-wrote LD_LIBRARY_PATH].

Thanks -

RT

* Re: Insight Snap Shot
@ 2005-07-08 21:01         ` Richard Tierney
From: Richard Tierney @ 2005-07-08 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

>>For anyone else building on RHEL/Centos-4, configure doesn't seem to
>>pick up the X libs correctly; you need to run configure with the
>>'--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib' and '--x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include'
>>options.
>

> That's odd... That is the standard place for those things. Where does
> configure think they normally exist? Do you have another set of X libs
> installed or something?

No - out-of-the-box Centos-4, presumably identical to out-of-the-box
RHEL4. The X include files weren't installed, but the X libs were. I
think the problem is that this disti uses xorg rather than XFree86.

I didn't look at this in detail, but my recollection is that configure
doesn't check for an X installation. Compilation failed when gcc looked
for Xlib.h. I then installed the X11 development package, which has the
include files. I think (not sure, though) that configure had assumed
X11/lib/, rather than X11R6/lib. I can check the details when I install
the 6.3 code.

thanks -

RT