public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Building insight independantly of gdb
@ 2005-11-19 16:56 Michael Stather
From: Michael Stather @ 2005-11-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

As I read from the "about" page insight is a GUI for gdb. But it seems to be
built as a "gdb" executable mixing native gdb functionality with a gui.
But if insight replaces my existing gdb other gdb GUIs and apps which use
gdb don´t work anymore.
Can I compile insight independant from gdb, so that it doesn´t interfere
with an existing gdb installation. The actual executable should be named
"insight" then.

regards

Michael Stather

* Re: Building insight independantly of gdb
@ 2005-11-21  5:45 ` Steven Johnson
From: Steven Johnson @ 2005-11-21  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Stather; +Cc: insight

Hi Michael,

This isnt correct.  When you build Insight, you get a "gdb" executable,
which is just (for all intents and purposes) plain old gdb, and an
"insight" executable, which is insight gui enabled gdb.  They are
actually the same executable, but insight/gdb decides to go for gui or
command line mode by the name of the exe.  It can also be controlled
with --nw or -w switch.  So, your standard tools, that expect a command
line gdb should still function.

If you want to install it to test, and dont want to over write your
installed version, your best bet is to use --prefix=(some install
directory) i like to use --prefix=/opt/insight

then to run just type /opt/insight/bin/insight, or as Keith said, add it
to your path.

It is highly unlikely that Insight will ever be able to be installed
separate from GDB, that is because Insight is not a front end to GDB, it
is GDB.  It uses internal function calls to interface to the core GDB
debug logic.  It doesnt use the command line annotations or MI mode.  It
is like the GDB-tui in that regard.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Steven