public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* v850-unknown-elf, only simulator needed
@ 2006-05-09 19:12 Torsten Mohr
From: Torsten Mohr @ 2006-05-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

i'd like to configure & compile insight for the target
v850-unknown-elf.  I tried it like this on a Linux
host:
    ../../insight-6.4/configure \
    --target=v850e-unknown-elf \
    --prefix=/opt/v850e \
    --with-newlib \
    --disable-nls \
    --enable-languages="c,c++,java"

But when compiling (make) i get:
configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target v850e-unknown-elf"

I only want to use the simulator, isn't it possible to
compile insight for v850-unknown-elf?

I try to do all this on Linux, it would be great if it would
also work on MinGW/MSYS.  If it is not possible to compile
insight on MSYS, is it possible to compile gdb on MSYS for
v850-unknown-elf?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.

* Re: v850-unknown-elf, only simulator needed
@ 2006-05-09 19:37 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-05-09 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Mohr; +Cc: insight

Torsten Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'd like to configure & compile insight for the target
> v850-unknown-elf.  I tried it like this on a Linux
> host:
>     ../../insight-6.4/configure \
>     --target=v850e-unknown-elf \
>     --prefix=/opt/v850e \
>     --with-newlib \
>     --disable-nls \
>     --enable-languages="c,c++,java"
>
> But when compiling (make) i get:
> configure: error: "*** Gdb does not support target v850e-unknown-elf"

Gdb does not support the build target "v850e-elf". You must use
v850-elf. That configuration appears to support several of v850 variants
(v850, v850e, v850e1). You can take a peek at v850-tdep.c to see this.

> I only want to use the simulator, isn't it possible to
> compile insight for v850-unknown-elf?

You can use "make all-sim" instead of "make" or "make all-gdb" to just
build the simulator. The sim appears to understand what v850e-elf is,
but I don't know if it supports all the v850 variants in one build like
gdb. You might ask on the gdb list.

> I try to do all this on Linux, it would be great if it would
> also work on MinGW/MSYS.  If it is not possible to compile
> insight on MSYS, is it possible to compile gdb on MSYS for
> v850-unknown-elf?

v850-elf should work on any platform supported by gdb. I believe a
cygwin build will work on mingw. [There is currently work underway in
gdb-land to produce a mingw version, but I don't know the status of
that.] Of course, you'd have to carry some cygwin baggage around to do that.

If you require more specific (or authoritative) information about v850
builds, you should direct your questions to the gdb mailing list
gdb@sourceware.org. There are many, many people there who know a lot
more about this stuff than I do. [Or at least more than I remember: I
did some of the v850 port for gdb many, many years ago.]

Keith