public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Any cygwin savvy developers out there? Cygwin build problem
@ 2006-05-24 18:55 Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-05-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I think there are a few of you out there. Anyone know what the following
errors might arise from?

Several users have reported this problem to the bug database. I haven't
seen this on my cygwin machine (Win2k, cygwin updated, insight built on
19 May 2006). Was hoping someone might have an idea.

Creating library file: libtcl84.a
tclWin32Dll.o: In function `TclpCheckStackSpace':
/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win/tclWin32Dll.c:364: undefined
reference to `__except_checkstackspace_handler'
tclWinChan.o: In function `Tcl_MakeFileChannel':
/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win/tclWinChan.c:1056: undefined
reference to `__except_makefilechannel_handler'
tclWinFCmd.o: In function `DoCopyFile':
/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win/tclWinFCmd.c:558: undefined reference
to `__except_docopyfile_handler'
tclWinFCmd.o: In function `TclpObjRenameFile':
/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win/tclWinFCmd.c:204: undefined reference
to `__except_dorenamefile_handler'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [tcl84.dll] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl'
make[1]: *** [all-tcl] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

These appear to be all "#ifdef HAVE_NO_SEH" bits which are defined in
the files with the errors. For example, the undefined symbol
_except_checkstackspace_handler is defined in TclWin32Dll.c:398:

#ifdef HAVE_NO_SEH
static
__attribute__ ((cdecl,used))
EXCEPTION_DISPOSITION
_except_checkstackspace_handler(
     struct _EXCEPTION_RECORD *ExceptionRecord,
     void *EstablisherFrame,
     struct _CONTEXT *ContextRecord,
     void *DispatcherContext)
{
     __asm__ __volatile__ (
             "jmp checkstackspace_reentry");
     return 0; /* Function does not return */
}
#endif /* HAVE_NO_SEH */

Could this be a gcc-ism? My box is using 3.4.4 cygming special.

Keith

* Re: Any cygwin savvy developers out there? Cygwin build problem
@ 2006-05-24 19:59 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-05-24 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

> I think there are a few of you out there. Anyone know what the following
> errors might arise from?
> [...]
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl'
> make[1]: *** [all-tcl] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

It looks like the reporter is trying to build a release.  This problem
was fixed in CVS on
<http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2006-q1/msg00045.html> however it had
been mentioned in the mailing list for quite some time beforehand:
<http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2005-q3/msg00021.html>.  So I think
the solution is just to tell the user to use a more recent version.

Brian

* Re: Any cygwin savvy developers out there? Cygwin build problem
@ 2006-05-24 20:04   ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2006-05-24 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Keith Seitz wrote:
>
>> I think there are a few of you out there. Anyone know what the following
>> errors might arise from?
>> [...]
>> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl/win'
>> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4/tcl'
>> make[1]: *** [all-tcl] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/brgordon/insight-6.4'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> It looks like the reporter is trying to build a release.  This problem
> was fixed in CVS on
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2006-q1/msg00045.html> however it had
> been mentioned in the mailing list for quite some time beforehand:
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/insight/2005-q3/msg00021.html>.  So I think
> the solution is just to tell the user to use a more recent version.

That would explain it. Sadly, now that you mention it, it does ring a
bell... :-(

Thanks!
Keith