public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Value format: how to change the default representation?
@ 2007-08-18  5:09 Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2007-08-18  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Foum

Hi,

This is my first email to this forum, so hi to everybody!

Just switched over from DDD to Insight yesterday because of various
reasons and my first impressions are very, very positive.

After playing a bit with the debug environment, there were a few issues
I had with the application.  One of them was the fact that I could not
use any more the shortcuts F10 and F11 to step over/step into
functions.  Shortcuts I'm very used to.
But I could find the mechanism in the source code and could recompile
Insight with the shortcuts I wanted, so that problem was solved.

Another issue I have, which I cannot solve immediately, is the fact that
the values in watch windows (local variables, etc.) are always shown in
the so-called "natural" format.

My question: is there a way to switch over by default to hex
representation?  Or another base?

I know I can right-click on a variable and then select "hex", but this I
have to do over and over again with every new session.

Rather, I would prefer to have an option where I can myself decide which
base I want to use for my number representations.

Hope someone can help me here?  Possibly by pointing me to the correct
piece of source code so that I can change it myself?

Best rgds,

--Geert

* RE: Value format: how to change the default representation?
@ 2007-08-22 11:02 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-08-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Geert Vancompernolle', 'Insight Foum'

On 18 August 2007 06:09, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first email to this forum, so hi to everybody!

  Hi!  As you have probably guessed, this is a fairly low-traffic list!

> Another issue I have, which I cannot solve immediately, is the fact that
> the values in watch windows (local variables, etc.) are always shown in
> the so-called "natural" format.
>
> My question: is there a way to switch over by default to hex
> representation?  Or another base?
>
> I know I can right-click on a variable and then select "hex", but this I
> have to do over and over again with every new session.
>
> Rather, I would prefer to have an option where I can myself decide which
> base I want to use for my number representations.
>
> Hope someone can help me here?  Possibly by pointing me to the correct
> piece of source code so that I can change it myself?

  The sources for most of the GUI widgets live in .../gdb/gdbtk/library.  You'll
find watch.tcl in there, and IIUIC, it relies on vartree objects to display the
variables.  (I'm not all that familiar with the gui code myself, but it's all
fairly object-oriented and hierarchical).

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Value format: how to change the default representation?
@ 2007-08-22 15:43   ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2007-08-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: 'Geert Vancompernolle', 'Insight Foum'

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 18 August 2007 06:09, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> This is my first email to this forum, so hi to everybody!
>>

>   Hi!  As you have probably guessed, this is a fairly low-traffic list!
>

>> Another issue I have, which I cannot solve immediately, is the fact that
>> the values in watch windows (local variables, etc.) are always shown in
>> the so-called "natural" format.
>>
>> My question: is there a way to switch over by default to hex
>> representation?  Or another base?
>>
>> I know I can right-click on a variable and then select "hex", but this I
>> have to do over and over again with every new session.
>>
>> Rather, I would prefer to have an option where I can myself decide which
>> base I want to use for my number representations.
>>
>> Hope someone can help me here?  Possibly by pointing me to the correct
>> piece of source code so that I can change it myself?
>>

>   The sources for most of the GUI widgets live in .../gdb/gdbtk/library.  You'll
> find watch.tcl in there, and IIUIC, it relies on vartree objects to display the
> variables.  (I'm not all that familiar with the gui code myself, but it's all
> fairly object-oriented and hierarchical).
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Thanks for the info, Dave.  I'll have a look in the locations you've
pointed out.

--
Best rgds,

--Geert
__________________________________

In commemoration of my beloved Mother...

http://moeder.gevawebsolutions.com
__________________________________

* RE: Value format: how to change the default representation?
@ 2007-08-22 19:01     ` Spen
From: Spen @ 2007-08-22 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Insight Foum'

> >> Another issue I have, which I cannot solve immediately, is
> the fact
> >> that the values in watch windows (local variables, etc.)
> are always
> >> shown in the so-called "natural" format.
> >>
> >> My question: is there a way to switch over by default to hex
> >> representation?  Or another base?

Try the following on the gdb console or put them into a init script passed
on the command line (via -x target.ini):
Change to default hex

set output-radix 16
set input-radix 16

Cheers
Spen

* Re: Value format: how to change the default representation?
@ 2007-08-25  8:50       ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2007-08-25  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spen; +Cc: 'Insight Foum'

Spen wrote:

>> the fact

>> are always

> Try the following on the gdb console or put them into a init script passed
> on the command line (via -x target.ini):
> Change to default hex
>
> set output-radix 16
> set input-radix 16
>
> Cheers
> Spen

That solution is currently the best option for me.

Thanks!

Best rgds,

--Geert