public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Variable out of watch scope lost forever?q
@ 2007-09-23 13:50 Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2007-09-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

When a variable was observed in the watch window, it's greyed out when
the scope is lost.  However, when the variable comes in scope again, the
variable remains greyed out.  I have to delete the variable and add it
again to the watch window.

Is there a way to have the variable automatically activated again,
whenever it comes into scope?

--
Best rgds,

--Geert

* Re: Variable out of watch scope lost forever?q
@ 2007-09-23 14:27 ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2007-09-23 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Foum

Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When a variable was observed in the watch window, it's greyed out when
> the scope is lost.  However, when the variable comes in scope again,
> the variable remains greyed out.  I have to delete the variable and
> add it again to the watch window.
>
> Is there a way to have the variable automatically activated again,
> whenever it comes into scope?

I have the feeling this problem only occurs when you do *not* re-enter
the same function again.

So,

1. enter function a() in file x
2. show variable "z" in watch window (variable "z" is global in file x)
3. leave function a() in file x and enter function b() in file y =>
variable "z" is greyed out in watch window
4. leave function b() in file y and re-enter function a() in file x
again => variable "z" becomes active again
5. leave function a() in file x and enter function b() in file y =>
variable "z" is greyed out in watch window
6. leave function b() in file y and enter function c() in file x =>
variable "z" is still greyed out, while it's again in scope since we're
entering file x again, however within another function of file x.

I would expect in step 6. to see the variable "z" again activated, since
it comes into scope again...

--
Best rgds,

--Geert