public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-06 17:51 Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insight Forum

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. When running ./config.sub mips, I only get the target "mips-unknown-elf".

Is there a possibility to compile for mips2_fp_le?  Can mips-unknown-elf
be used for that?

2. Is it possible to build for a Windows host and a Linux target?  I
would like to know if I can run Insight on a Win32 platform and using it
to debug an embedded Linux system.

--
*Best rgds,

Geert
*

* Re: Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-06 18:57 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-05-06 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Vancompernolle; +Cc: Insight Forum

Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> 1. When running ./config.sub mips, I only get the target
> "mips-unknown-elf".
>
> Is there a possibility to compile for mips2_fp_le?  Can mips-unknown-elf
> be used for that?

Good question -- I don't know! You should ask on the gdb@ list if gdb
can be configured for your target. [Insight is the gui on top of gdb: if
gdb can debug it, Insight should also be able to.]

> 2. Is it possible to build for a Windows host and a Linux target?  I
> would like to know if I can run Insight on a Win32 platform and using it
> to debug an embedded Linux system.

While I've never tried it, I would guess that it is possible. Again,
your best bet is to ask the gdb folks. I haven't built/used anything but
linux native for a long time (occasionally cygwin native).

Keith

* Re: Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-10  5:34   ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-10  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Insight Forum

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>
>> 1. When running ./config.sub mips, I only get the target
>> "mips-unknown-elf".
>>
>> Is there a possibility to compile for mips2_fp_le?  Can
>> mips-unknown-elf be used for that?
>
> Good question -- I don't know! You should ask on the gdb@ list if gdb
> can be configured for your target. [Insight is the gui on top of gdb:
> if gdb can debug it, Insight should also be able to.]
>
>> 2. Is it possible to build for a Windows host and a Linux target?  I
>> would like to know if I can run Insight on a Win32 platform and using
>> it to debug an embedded Linux system.
>
> While I've never tried it, I would guess that it is possible. Again,
> your best bet is to ask the gdb folks. I haven't built/used anything
> but linux native for a long time (occasionally cygwin native).
>
> Keith

In the mean time, I've asked for help on the GBD list.  There, I came to
know that there are more targets available then what "./config.sub"
suggests.

In my very situation, I ran the command "./config.sub mips" and I "only"
got mips-unknown-elf as feedback.  But there is also mips-linux and so on.

So, my question is now: why is ./config.sub not giving me all
possibilities when I give "mips" as a part of the target string?  What
exactly can I expect when running ./config.sub?

@ 2008-05-10 11:11   ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-10 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: Geert Vancompernolle, Insight Forum

Keith Seitz wrote:
> Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>
>> 1. When running ./config.sub mips, I only get the target
>> "mips-unknown-elf".
>>
>> Is there a possibility to compile for mips2_fp_le?  Can
>> mips-unknown-elf be used for that?
>
> Good question -- I don't know! You should ask on the gdb@ list if gdb
> can be configured for your target. [Insight is the gui on top of gdb:
> if gdb can debug it, Insight should also be able to.]
>
>> 2. Is it possible to build for a Windows host and a Linux target?  I
>> would like to know if I can run Insight on a Win32 platform and using
>> it to debug an embedded Linux system.
>
> While I've never tried it, I would guess that it is possible. Again,
> your best bet is to ask the gdb folks. I haven't built/used anything
> but linux native for a long time (occasionally cygwin native).
>
> Keith

Well, I (think I) finally figured out how to proceed with that config.sub.

In my very case, I want to compile Insight for PC as host and
mips2_fp_le as target.  The only thing which is important, is that the
configuration file must be able to find the compilers for the target given.

So, what I did was the following:

* I added the following section into the config.sub file (in the "case
$basic_machine in" section):

    mips2_fp_le)
        basic_machine=$basic_machine-unknown
        os=-linux
        ;;

   I added it just after the following lines:

    mips3*)
        basic_machine=`echo $basic_machine | sed -e
's/mips3/mips64/'`-unknown
        ;;

* This will result in searching for "mips2_fp_le-gcc",
"mips2_fp_le-g++", and so on during the run of "./configure
--target=mips2_fp_le"

* The only thing that is important, is that ./configure can find the
compilers for the target given.  So, ./configure must be able to fine
"mips2_fp_le-gcc", "mips2_fp_le-g++", and so on, to be able to compile
gdb for the target.
   Therefore, it's best to make sure the path is extended to the
location where ./configure is supposed to find all the executables for
that target.

* Once this is done, I should have the Insight GUI running on the PC,
while the gdb should have been compiled for the mips2_fp_le target.

I still have to test it, though (I'm at home and the set-up is at the
office), but I will come back with the results of this "experiment".

--

@ 2008-05-10 17:30     ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2008-05-10 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Vancompernolle; +Cc: Keith Seitz, Geert Vancompernolle, Insight Forum

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> * The only thing that is important, is that ./configure can find the
> compilers for the target given.  So, ./configure must be able to fine
> "mips2_fp_le-gcc", "mips2_fp_le-g++", and so on, to be able to compile
> gdb for the target.

 Hmm, out of curiosity, because you seem quite committed to this -- where
have you come with this "mips2_fp_le" target from?  I have worked with
MIPS architecture processors for many years and never seen any of them
being referred to like this.

  Maciej

* Re: Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-10 18:52       ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: Keith Seitz, Insight Forum

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Hmm, out of curiosity, because you seem quite committed to this -- where
> have you come with this "mips2_fp_le" target from?  I have worked with
> MIPS architecture processors for many years and never seen any of them
> being referred to like this.
>
>   Maciej
Hmm... Curiosity killed the cat!!!  ;-)

Well, we're using a mips2_fp_le target to run our Philips High End
televisions.

I'm currently looking for an easy way to debug this target, using
RemoteTCP.  Normally, we're using a tool chain from MontaVista, build
around DevRocket, to debug our user space application, but this is too
heavy for the project I have in mind.

All should fit on a USB stick and should be very easy and fast to
install.  Mainly to debug "in the field".

From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: Keith Seitz, Insight Forum

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> Hmm, out of curiosity, because you seem quite committed to this -- where
> have you come with this "mips2_fp_le" target from?  I have worked with
> MIPS architecture processors for many years and never seen any of them
> being referred to like this.
>
>   Maciej
Hmm... Curiosity killed the cat!!!  ;-)

Well, we're using a mips2_fp_le target to run our Philips High End
televisions.

I'm currently looking for an easy way to debug this target, using
RemoteTCP.  Normally, we're using a tool chain from MontaVista, build
around DevRocket, to debug our user space application, but this is too
heavy for the project I have in mind.

All should fit on a USB stick and should be very easy and fast to
install.  Mainly to debug "in the field".

--
*Best rgds,

--Geert
____________________________________

     In commemoration of my beloved Parents...
        http://ouders.gevawebsolutions.com
____________________________________*

* Re: Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-10 23:42         ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2008-05-10 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Vancompernolle; +Cc: Keith Seitz, Insight Forum

On Sat, 10 May 2008, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> Hmm... Curiosity killed the cat!!!  ;-)

 Well, no cats around so everyone should feel safe. :-)

> Well, we're using a mips2_fp_le target to run our Philips High End
> televisions.

 I have just been wondering who has come up with this name -- they must
have patches for all the relevant pieces of software too.

  Maciej

* Re: Building for target mips2_fp_le possible?
@ 2008-05-11  4:48           ` Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-11  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: Keith Seitz, Insight Forum

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> I have just been wondering who has come up with this name -- they must
> have patches for all the relevant pieces of software too.
>
>   Maciej
My guess is that MontaVista has "invented" that name.  It's a
composition of the Mips2 4kec core
(http://www.mips.com/products/cores/32-bit-cores/mips32-4ke/, the 2
comes from 32 bits iso 16 bits, I guess), with floating point arithmetic
(hence, fp) and it's a little endian set-up (hence, le).

So, putting this stuff all together, is giving you 'mips2_fp_le'...

--
Best rgds,

-- Geert