public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Dialogue box messages: how?
@ 2008-05-16 15:25 Geert Vancompernolle
From: Geert Vancompernolle @ 2008-05-16 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I would like to know how message boxes are triggered from GDB towards Insight.

One specific example: in the file "remote.c" (GDB), there's a warning
submitted in the function "remote_wait()", when there's an unsupported
character.

The code written is:

	  warning (_("Invalid remote reply: %s"), buf);

Something similar exists for "error()".

My question: how's the connection between the above warning and the
small warning dialogue that is shown on the screen?  Is GDB triggering
Insight to show the above warning in a "warning dialogue box"?  Or how
is it done?  Where's the connection between Insight and GDB in that
respect?

Best rgds,

--Geert

* Re: Dialogue box messages: how?
@ 2008-05-17  1:17 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-05-17  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Vancompernolle; +Cc: insight

Geert Vancompernolle wrote:

> My question: how's the connection between the above warning and the
> small warning dialogue that is shown on the screen?  Is GDB triggering
> Insight to show the above warning in a "warning dialogue box"?  Or how
> is it done?  Where's the connection between Insight and GDB in that
> respect?

Keep in mind that Insight *is* GDB, it's not a front-end; it's one
singular program.  Look at generic/gdbtk-hooks.c.  Insight provides a
number of hooks that get called for various events, in this case
gdbtk_warning().

Brian