public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com>
To: Gene Smith <gds@chartertn.net>
Cc: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Two small insight (gdb?) bugs
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:46:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 07/12/2011 09:32 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
> 1. In console I can set a breakpoint like this:
>
> b main
>
> But if I make a typo and enter an invalid symbol such as:
>
> b mai
>
> It hangs insight and I have to kill -9 it.

I am using CVS HEAD, and I cannot reproduce this problem. It brings up a
dialog asking, "Make pending breakpoint based on future shared library
load?"

What happens if you use insight in non-windowing mode ("-nw" flag) and
make the typo? Does it still lock-up?

> 2. If I have a watch point window active with watches present and I
> reload or reset my program, I get an error dialog when trying to
> re-establish the watchpoints since they are lost after a reset or reload
> (watch window comes up blank). The only way to re-define the watches is
> to restart insight but at least it is not locked up like in 1. above.
> Workaround: Try to remember to close watch window before reloading or
> resetting.

I don't know if your procedure is the same as mine, but I am
experiencing  crash when re-running after the executable is recompiled,
e.g., "insight foo", run, set watches, touch some sourcefile and
recompile foo, "run" in the console.

This is happening because the varobjs are left in an unknown state, with
stale pointers to memory. I will work on a fix for this, but this
doesn't sound like your problem...

What does the error dialog say?

Keith