public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
From: Gene Smith <gds@chartertn.net>
To: insight@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: Two small insight (gdb?) bugs
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 03:36:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Keith Seitz wrote, On 07/24/2011 02:45 PM:
> On 07/12/2011 09:32 PM, Gene Smith wrote:
>> 1. In console I can set a breakpoint like this:
>>
>> b main
>>
>> But if I make a typo and enter an invalid symbol such as:
>>
>> b mai
>>
>> It hangs insight and I have to kill -9 it.
>
> I am using CVS HEAD, and I cannot reproduce this problem. It brings up a
> dialog asking, "Make pending breakpoint based on future shared library
> load?"
>
> What happens if you use insight in non-windowing mode ("-nw" flag) and
> make the typo? Does it still lock-up?

No lock-up with -nw. I see the message you describe like this:

(gdb) b iain
Function "iain" not defined.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) n
(gdb)

>> 2. If I have a watch point window active with watches present and I
>> reload or reset my program, I get an error dialog when trying to
>> re-establish the watchpoints since they are lost after a reset or reload
>> (watch window comes up blank). The only way to re-define the watches is
>> to restart insight but at least it is not locked up like in 1. above.
>> Workaround: Try to remember to close watch window before reloading or
>> resetting.
>
> I don't know if your procedure is the same as mine, but I am
> experiencing crash when re-running after the executable is recompiled,
> e.g., "insight foo", run, set watches, touch some sourcefile and
> recompile foo, "run" in the console.
>
> This is happening because the varobjs are left in an unknown state, with
> stale pointers to memory. I will work on a fix for this, but this
> doesn't sound like your problem...
>
> What does the error dialog say?

I seem to mainly see the dialog after reloading my program to flash with
watches present (none called var6). When finished reloading the watch
window comes back empty and then when I try to add the watches back it says:

Title: Application Error
Large red "X": Error: invalid command name "var6"
Buttons: OK	Skip Messages	Details>>

Clicking on "Details>>" I see this:
invalid command name "var6"
invalid command name "var6"
     while executing
"$var delete"
     while deleting object "::.watchwin0.watchwin" in
::WatchWin::destructor (body line 11)
     invoked from within
"itcl::delete object ::.watchwin0.watchwin"
     (command bound to event)

Any attempt to add watches results in this same dialog. Also, I may have
seen it crash if I continue on for a while but usually I just restart
since I probably need the watches back. Haven't tried your patch yet.
Also, it might be considered a bug in that the watchpoints are not
remembered between insight restarts or after a reload of flash, at least
for me. (At least BPs are remembered which is handy.)