public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* questions
@ 2011-11-24 22:45 Levente Kovacs
From: Levente Kovacs @ 2011-11-24 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I just want to ask a few question about insight:

1. Does it ships with it's own GDB?
2. Can it communicate with an "external" gdb server through a socket?
3. Does it uses the systems' tk library?

Thanks,
Levente

--
Levente Kovacs
CTO, CSO

* Re: questions
@ 2011-11-25 20:37 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2011-11-25 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Levente Kovacs; +Cc: insight

On 11/24/2011 01:59 PM, Levente Kovacs wrote:
> 1. Does it ships with it's own GDB?

Yes, insight "is" gdb: running "insight -nw" will give you the CLI gdb.
When you build insight, you get two executables: one is gdb, one is
insight.

> 2. Can it communicate with an "external" gdb server through a socket?

Yes, insight can do anything that gdb does.

> 3. Does it uses the systems' tk library?

On linux*, yes, it will use the system's tcl/tk/itcl. Simply remove the
tcl, tk, and itcl directories from the source tree.

* I say linux because that is the only platform on which I've tested it.
You cannot do this with either MinGW or Cygwin. Those platforms must use
the in-tree tcl, tk, and itcl. [And the only reason they "must" use them
is because no one has done the work to make the build do this.]

Keith