public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* avr-insight question
@ 2004-01-01 20:49 Sebastian.Pischel
From: Sebastian.Pischel @ 2004-01-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,
I am new to Insight, I got AVR-Insight with the WinAVR-package. I tried around and created a project with
AtmanAVR. It created an .ELF file, which I put as source in insight. Then I was asked to choose a target,
where I got only te entries "Cisco", "Remote" and "GDBServer", each with serial and TCP/IP option. No "Exec"
or "Simulator", like mentioned in the helpfile. When I chose Remote/Seriel, the program froze.
 As there is no FAQ, I am asking directly.

 Sebastian                          mailto:Sebastian.Pischel@gmx.de

* avr-insight question
@ 2004-01-16 17:48 E. Weddington
From: E. Weddington @ 2004-01-16 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian.Pischel, insight

[Sorry if this is not threaded correctly.]

Sebastian,

I noticed your post on the insight mailing list about avr-insight.

RTFM

You need to read the README.txt file that comes with WinAVR. In there, it
explains what you need in order to simulate with GDB / Insight. You need the
program SimulAVR (comes with WinAVR) which interacts with GDB / Insight to
provide simulation. However, realise that it is not very advanced.

WinAVR also comes with the program AVaRICE, which like SimulAVR, goes between
GDB / Insight and a JTAG ICE to provide emulation.

The SimulAVR User Manual also comes with WinAVR. Please read it.

The README.txt file also says that the best place to get help on the AVR
toolset is
1. avr-gcc-list mailing list
2. or AVR Freaks website

The links for both of these are, again, in the README.txt file.

If you continue to have problems, the links for the SimulAVR and AVaRICE
projects are also in the README.txt file.

Eric