public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-02 20:02 María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-02 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

> I don't know anything about Code::Blocks, but it sounds to me like they
> are starting up gdb/insight using the "-nx" option, which suppresses
> reading .gdbinit.

Where is declared the "-nx" option?

> Where is .gdbinit? Gdb looks in two places: $HOME and $PWD, i.e., your
> home directory and the current directory. If .gdbinit is not in $HOME, I
> would put it there and see if that works.

I declared the .gdbinit file in my home directory and in the current
directory but it didn't work.

> If you go to the Target Settings Dialog, you can have insight do this for
> you automatically when you click the Run button. Of course, if
> Code::Blocks is passing "-nx" to gdb/insight, insight won't read your
> preferences file, anyway. But if you're like me and typically type at a
> console window, this won't help you.

I try the Target Settings Dialog, but it doesn't work neither. If I close
insight and open it again, I have to input all the information again. That
isn't
what I need.

María

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-02 20:24 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/02/2009 12:03 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
>> I don't know anything about Code::Blocks, but it sounds to me like they
>> are starting up gdb/insight using the "-nx" option, which suppresses
>> reading .gdbinit.
>
> Where is declared the "-nx" option?

$ gdb --help | grep nx
   --nx               Do not read .gdbinit file.

It is an option to gdb/insight.

> I declared the .gdbinit file in my home directory and in the current
> directory but it didn't work.

That really sounds like "-nx" is being used...

> I try the Target Settings Dialog, but it doesn't work neither. If I close
> insight and open it again, I have to input all the information again.
> That isn't
> what I need.

More evidence that "-nx" is being used... You can double-check this by
opening a console window (in insight) and entering the following command:

(gdb) tk set ::GDBStartup(inhibit_prefs)

If this returns "1", then the "-nx" option was passed to gdb/insight.
You can override this by defining "INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES" in
your environment, i.e., "export INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES=1" for
the bash shell.

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-02 21:33   ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-02 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> On 11/02/2009 12:03 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:

> More evidence that "-nx" is being used... You can double-check this by
> opening a console window (in insight) and entering the following command:
>
> (gdb) tk set ::GDBStartup(inhibit_prefs)
>
> If this returns "1", then the "-nx" option was passed to gdb/insight. You
> can override this by defining "INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES" in your
> environment, i.e., "export INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES=1" for the bash
> shell.

It returns 1. What do you mean with "environment"?

Something that is also really important for me is that gdb/insight could
keep the breakpoints
that I already declared. Did you know in which file does gdb/insight save
this information?

@ 2009-11-02 21:53     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-02 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/02/2009 01:34 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:

> It returns 1. What do you mean with "environment"?

Yup. So that means your IDE is passing "-nx" to gdb/insight, suppressing
reading of preferences. I don't know what platform you are on (Windows?
Linux? Solaris? HPUX?), but if you set the environment variable
INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES, insight will ignore the "-nx" flag.

On any unix-like box (including Cygwin), you can set the variable by using:

$ export INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES=1

It has been a long time since I used a windows box, but a quick search
got me this page from Microsoft's support pages (this is for XP -- I am
sure something similar exists for Vista or Windows 7):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519

> Something that is also really important for me is that gdb/insight could
> keep the breakpoints
> that I already declared. Did you know in which file does gdb/insight
> save this information?

Insight does this automatically, when preferences are being read. They
would be stored in the preferences file, .gdbtkinit on *nix and
gdbtk.ini on windows (all in $HOME).

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-04 18:31       ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> Yup. So that means your IDE is passing "-nx" to gdb/insight, suppressing
> reading of preferences. I don't know what platform you are on (Windows?
> Linux? Solaris? HPUX?), but if you set the environment variable
> INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES, insight will ignore the "-nx" flag.
>
> On any unix-like box (including Cygwin), you can set the variable by
> using:
>
> $ export INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES=1
>
> It has been a long time since I used a windows box, but a quick search got
> me this page from Microsoft's support pages (this is for XP -- I am sure
> something similar exists for Vista or Windows 7):
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310519

I'm working on Windows Vista. I set the variable
INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES
to 1, as you told me to do it, but it didn't work. I'm not able to read the
init file. If I enter the command
that you previously gave me:

   (gdb) tk set ::GDBStartup(inhibit_prefs)

it continues returning "1". I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm working
with it since yesterday but I
don't get results. Is there another way to ignored the "-nx" command or how
can I obtain what I need??

@ 2009-11-04 18:42         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-04 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/04/2009 10:33 AM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
> I'm working on Windows Vista. I set the variable
> INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES
> to 1, as you told me to do it, but it didn't work. I'm not able to read
> the init file.

You might try starting insight, opening a console window and entering
"tk set ::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)" to verify that this
variable is being set properly in the environment.

If you also do: "tk $::env(HOME)", what is the result? This is the
directory that gdbtk.ini should be located in on windows.

> If I enter the command
> that you previously gave me:
>
> (gdb) tk set ::GDBStartup(inhibit_prefs)
>
> it continues returning "1". I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm
> working with it since yesterday but I
> don't get results. Is there another way to ignored the "-nx" command or
> how can I obtain what I need??

You can always force gdb (or insight) to read preferences. Do it in gdb
by editing main.c and rebuild/reinstall. For insight, simply edit prefs.tcl.

Did you build your version of insight or did you download it from somewhere?

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-04 19:09           ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-04 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

>You might try starting insight, opening a console window and entering "tk
>set ::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)" to verify that this variable is
>being set properly in the environment.

I did it but I got an error:

(gdb) tk set ::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)
Error: can't read "::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)": no such variable

>If you also do: "tk $::env(HOME)", what is the result? This is the
>directory that gdbtk.ini should be located in on windows.

This is what I got:

(gdb) tk $::env(HOME)
Error: invalid command name "C:\Users\help"

>You can always force gdb (or insight) to read preferences. Do it in gdb by
>editing main.c and rebuild/reinstall. For insight, simply edit prefs.tcl.

>Did you build your version of insight or did you download it from
>somewhere?

I download it from somewhere.

@ 2009-11-04 19:19             ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-04 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/04/2009 11:10 AM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:

> I did it but I got an error:
>
> (gdb) tk set ::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)
> Error: can't read "::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)": no such variable

This means that "INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES" was not defined in the
environment -- double-check your setting of this. [You might have to
log-out and log back into your computer (or even restart it) for Windows
to recognize this. I don't know exactly, it has been a very long time
since I used Windows.]

Can you open a (command) shell and view the environment variables? [I
think that's the "env" command, but don't hold me to it. Like I said, I
haven't used windows seriously for at least ten years.] If so, is
INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES listed?

> This is what I got:
>
> (gdb) tk $::env(HOME)
> Error: invalid command name "C:\Users\help"

[Of course, the '$' should have been omitted.] Nonetheless, this is the
directory that is coming up as your home directory. [Is "HOME" set in
your environment?] Unless you define HOME, you will have to place
gdbtk.ini/gdb.ini in this directory in order for insight to find it. To
be precise, this is where you will have to put gdb.ini (which you should
not need). This is where insight will put gdbtk.ini.

>> Did you build your version of insight or did you download it from
>> somewhere?
>
> I download it from somewhere.

I hope that does not turn into a problem. I have no idea what kind of
modifications were made to gdb/insight (if any). What is the output of
"show version"?

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-04 20:28               ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-04 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> On 11/04/2009 11:10 AM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
>
> This means that "INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES" was not defined in the
> environment -- double-check your setting of this. [You might have to
> log-out and log back into your computer (or even restart it) for Windows
> to recognize this. I don't know exactly, it has been a very long time
> since I used Windows.]

I restart my machine and now (gdb) tk set
::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)
returns "1".

> Can you open a (command) shell and view the environment variables? [I
> think that's the "env" command, but don't hold me to it. Like I said, I
> haven't used windows seriously for at least ten years.] If so, is
> INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES listed?

After the restart of my machine, I run the env command and now it shows
INSIGHT_FORCE_
READ_PREFERENCES variables with "1" as its value.

> [Of course, the '$' should have been omitted.] Nonetheless, this is the
> directory that is coming up as your home directory. [Is "HOME" set in your
> environment?] Unless you define HOME, you will have to place
> gdbtk.ini/gdb.ini in this directory in order for insight to find it. To be
> precise, this is where you will have to put gdb.ini (which you should not
> need). This is where insight will put gdbtk.ini.

gdbtk.ini is on my home directory: C:\Users\help.

> I hope that does not turn into a problem. I have no idea what kind of
> modifications were made to gdb/insight (if any). What is the output of
> "show version"?

This is the output of "show version":

(gdb) show version
GNU gdb 6.8.50.20080425-cvs
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=arm-eabi".

Now it's reading one breakpoint that was saved previously on gdbtk.ini when
tested it in command line, but it isn't reading my .gdbinit file that is
also located in my
home directory (C:\Users\help).

@ 2009-11-04 20:39                 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/04/2009 12:29 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:

> I restart my machine and now (gdb) tk set
> ::env(INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES)
> returns "1".

Excellent, that's a good start.

> This is the output of "show version":
>
> (gdb) show version
> GNU gdb 6.8.50.20080425-cvs
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=arm-eabi".

Wow, okay, this is a CVS snapshot that someone compiled. Fortunately, it
looks like you're close to getting it working anyway.

> Now it's reading one breakpoint that was saved previously on gdbtk.ini
> when I
> tested it in command line, but it isn't reading my .gdbinit file that is
> also located in my
> home directory (C:\Users\help).

Right, it will not read gdb.ini. The INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES
*only* gets insight to load/save its own preferences. As I recall you
were interested in setting some target settings. So use the target
dialog (File->Target Settings..." and select your information there.
Then click the Run button, and you should be off. The next time you quit
insight, it will save this information into your gdbtk.ini file, and
when you restart, it should all just come back. [Note: you have to use
the run BUTTON, not the console equivalent].

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-04 21:10                   ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-04 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> On 11/04/2009 12:29 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
>
> Right, it will not read gdb.ini. The INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES *only*
> gets insight to load/save its own preferences. As I recall you were
> interested in setting some target settings. So use the target dialog
> (File->Target Settings..." and select your information there. Then click
> the Run button, and you should be off. The next time you quit insight, it
> will save this information into your gdbtk.ini file, and when you restart,
> it should all just come back. [Note: you have to use the run BUTTON, not
> the console equivalent].

I set my Target Settings but everytime that I click on Run button I got a
message
telling that arm-eabi-insight.exe isn't responding.

@ 2009-11-04 21:31                     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-04 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/04/2009 01:12 PM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
> I set my Target Settings but everytime that I click on Run button I got
> a message
> telling that arm-eabi-insight.exe isn't responding.

What are your target settings from the target selection dialog?

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-05 16:52                       ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-05 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

>What are your target settings from the target selection dialog?

Target: Remote/TCP
Hostname: localhost
Port: 3333

The following options have check marks:

-Set breakpoint at 'main'
-Set breakpoint at 'exit'
-Attach to Target
- Download Program
-Continue from Last Stop

@ 2009-11-05 16:58                         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/05/2009 08:53 AM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
>> What are your target settings from the target selection dialog?
>
> Target: Remote/TCP
> Hostname: localhost
> Port: 3333
>
> The following options have check marks:
>
> -Set breakpoint at 'main'
> -Set breakpoint at 'exit'
> -Attach to Target
> - Download Program
> -Continue from Last Stop

That all looks good. Can you start insight and manually
attach/download/run to main using the console? (i.e, "break main",
"target remote localhost:3333", "load", "continue")

If insight is timing out, it is usually a communication failure. You
could also try opening a debug window for more info (open console
window, enter "tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin"). You might be able to use
some of gdb's built-in debugging/diagnostics to see what's happening
with the target (enter "help set debug remote" -- never tried this with
insight, though).

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-05 18:58                           ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-05 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> That all looks good. Can you start insight and manually
> attach/download/run to main using the console? (i.e, "break main", "target
> remote localhost:3333", "load", "continue")

Yes. I can use it without problems.

> If insight is timing out, it is usually a communication failure. You could
> also try opening a debug window for more info (open console window, enter
> "tk ManagedWin::open DebugWin"). You might be able to use some of gdb's
> built-in debugging/diagnostics to see what's happening with the target
> (enter "help set debug remote" -- never tried this with insight, though).

I can only test this when I'm running insight manually. If I start insight
using the
Run button it stays Not Responding.

I will not have problems If I have to manually attach/download/run to main
using
the console but I need at least that insight could save my new breakpoints.
Isn't
nice at all to set several breakpoints, close insight and when you open it
again noticed
that they weren't saved but even If you open it few days later. Not
everybody could
remember which breakpoints were set previously if they were several.

@ 2009-11-06 18:37                           ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-06 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Is there another way to ignore the "-nx" option besides the one that you
already gave me (setting INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES = 1) so insight
could save my breakpoints?? I'm
setting new ones but when I close insight and open it again they dissapears.

I'm testing insight using the console window and it's working fine. I don't
know if the "Not Responding"
issue when I press the Run button have to be with a problem of my PC or not
because it's really unusual
that it works just using the console window.

@ 2009-11-06 19:04                             ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2009-11-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "María de los A. Vázquez"; +Cc: insight

On 11/06/2009 10:38 AM, María de los A. Vázquez wrote:
> Is there another way to ignore the "-nx" option besides the one that you
> already gave me (setting INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES = 1) so insight
> could save my breakpoints??

Not without rebuilding the debugger.

> I'm
> setting new ones but when I close insight and open it again they
> dissapears.

Something is wrong, then, because when INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES is
set, it *should* also save your preferences. So the next step is to
figure out why.

Here's the next thing to try: set GDBTK_DEBUG=1 in your environment.
This will write the contents of the debug window to a file
(insight.log), which you'll need to see whether preferences were saved.
Start insight and then simply quit. Look at the end of the resulting
file; you should see something like "I global pref_save {pref_save
.gdbtkinit}". If there was an error saving the preferences, it will be
noted here, too.

> I'm testing insight using the console window and it's working fine. I
> don't know if the "Not Responding"
> issue when I press the Run button have to be with a problem of my PC or
> not because it's really unusual
> that it works just using the console window.

Yeah, that is unusual, and it would seem to indicate a bug. Is your
target some sort of simulator or actual hardware? If the sim, I might be
able to try to reproduce your problem here.

I seem to recall hacking on something arm-related in the not too distant
past. Perhaps you just need a newer build of insight/gdb? There is one
scenario that I can think of that would cause your timeout/hangup
problems with the UI... I'll see if I can dig up some
memories/emails/patches/ChangeLogs about this.

Keith

* Re: Fw: Initialization Commands
@ 2009-11-06 20:20                               ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

I have half of my problem solved. I rename my gdbtk.ini file to
gdbtk_old.ini.
Insight created a new one and after this it's saving all my preferences.
This is
a good start after all.

But now I'm having a second problem. If I exit my current project and begins
to debug a new one the "Not Responding" issue appears again.

@ 2009-11-13 20:00                             ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-13 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: María de los A. Vázquez, Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Hi again!!!

You told me to set INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES = 1
to ignore the "-nx" option that Codeblocks passes to it, but if instead of
insight I'm debugging using gdb, which env I will have to set in this case?

@ 2009-11-13 21:25                               ` María de los A. Vázquez
From: María de los A. Vázquez @ 2009-11-13 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: María de los A. Vázquez, Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

> Hi again!!!
>
> You told me to set INSIGHT_FORCE_READ_PREFERENCES = 1
> to ignore the "-nx" option that Codeblocks passes to it, but if instead of
> insight I'm debugging using gdb, which env I will have to set in this
> case?
>
> María

I'm asking this because when I use Insight as my debugger it's saving all my
breakpoints thanks to all that you just told me before, but if I change my
debugger to GDB in Codeblocks, it isn't keeping my breakpoints and I don't
know what is wrong with it??

María