public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Insight 6.8
@ 2008-03-31  9:25 Hans Kester
From: Hans Kester @ 2008-03-31  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

After building two versions of Insight I have some issues. I am using
Cygwin 1.5.25 on Windows XP Professional (32-bit). I used
"--target=i686-elf --disable-nls" for the first debugger and
"--target=x86_64-pc-linux --disable-nls" for the second.

Issue 1:
When I open my ELF-file Insight only shows me assembly code, not the
C++ source code. After reselecting the same ELF-file I do get source
code. We also get source code after downloading and running the
program. This happens with both debuggers and it still worked in
Insight 6.7.1.

Issue 2:
When I start the debugger for the 64-bit target, it starts in 32-bit
target mode. When I open the register window I only see the 32-bit
registers. After selecting the 64-bit ELF-file the register window
does not switch to the 64-bit register set. After closing and
reopening the register window I do get the 64-bit register set. I can
download and run the program without any problems until I stop the
program and open the register window again. Insight disappears without
an error or warning. It looks to me that it didn't switch to the
64-bit architecture completely. It works with Insight 6.6 but not with
6.7.1.

Any ideas?

Hans Kester

* Re: Insight 6.8
@ 2008-03-31 19:15 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-03-31 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kester; +Cc: insight

Hans Kester wrote:

> Issue 1:
> When I open my ELF-file Insight only shows me assembly code, not the
> C++ source code. After reselecting the same ELF-file I do get source
> code. We also get source code after downloading and running the
> program. This happens with both debuggers and it still worked in
> Insight 6.7.1.

This is odd. Can you open a console window and type "list main"? Does it
show the code? For some reason, Insight cannot find the source code. Can
you try opening a debug window?

> Issue 2:
> When I start the debugger for the 64-bit target, it starts in 32-bit
> target mode. When I open the register window I only see the 32-bit
> registers. After selecting the 64-bit ELF-file the register window
> does not switch to the 64-bit register set. After closing and
> reopening the register window I do get the 64-bit register set. I can
> download and run the program without any problems until I stop the
> program and open the register window again. Insight disappears without
> an error or warning. It looks to me that it didn't switch to the
> 64-bit architecture completely. It works with Insight 6.6 but not with
> 6.7.1.

Insight suddenly disappearing is undoubtedly a crash. I wouldn't be
surprised if the architecture change wasn't properly recorded/noticed by
Insight's various windows. To find the location of the crash, can you
repeat this while running insight on gdb?

Keith

* Re: Insight 6.8
@ 2008-04-01 10:41   ` Hans Kester
From: Hans Kester @ 2008-04-01 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:
> > Issue 1:
> > When I open my ELF-file Insight only shows me assembly code, not the
> > C++ source code. After reselecting the same ELF-file I do get source
> > code. We also get source code after downloading and running the
> > program. This happens with both debuggers and it still worked in
> > Insight 6.7.1.
>
> This is odd. Can you open a console window and type "list main"? Does it
> show the code? For some reason, Insight cannot find the source code. Can
> you try opening a debug window?

"list main" shows the correct source code. I can also select any
source file in the source window and I get the full source. It looks
like it only doesn't display the source once at startup. Weird!

> > Issue 2:
> > When I start the debugger for the 64-bit target, it starts in 32-bit
> > target mode. When I open the register window I only see the 32-bit
> > registers. After selecting the 64-bit ELF-file the register window
> > does not switch to the 64-bit register set. After closing and
> > reopening the register window I do get the 64-bit register set. I can
> > download and run the program without any problems until I stop the
> > program and open the register window again. Insight disappears without
> > an error or warning. It looks to me that it didn't switch to the
> > 64-bit architecture completely. It works with Insight 6.6 but not with
> > 6.7.1.
>
> Insight suddenly disappearing is undoubtedly a crash. I wouldn't be
> surprised if the architecture change wasn't properly recorded/noticed by
> Insight's various windows. To find the location of the crash, can you
> repeat this while running insight on gdb?

You mean debugging Insight with GDB? Kinky. I never used command line
GDB before but I will see what I can accomplish.

Hans

* Re: Insight 6.8
@ 2008-04-02 17:28     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2008-04-02 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Kester; +Cc: insight

Hans Kester wrote:

> "list main" shows the correct source code. I can also select any
> source file in the source window and I get the full source. It looks
> like it only doesn't display the source once at startup. Weird!

That is very confusing. So let me see if I understand what's
happening... You start up insight, load an executable file, and insight
cannot show the entry point -- the source window is blank. When you
attach to a target (and download?), the source is then displayed
properly in the source window.

It sounds like there is a problem finding the entry point (which is what
insight attempts to show before there is a register set). When you start
up (and the source window is blank), open a console window and enter the
command "tk gdbtk_locate_main". What is the result?

Keith

* Re: Insight 6.8
@ 2008-04-03 13:19       ` Hans Kester
From: Hans Kester @ 2008-04-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Keith Seitz <keiths@redhat.com> wrote:

> > "list main" shows the correct source code. I can also select any
> > source file in the source window and I get the full source. It looks
> > like it only doesn't display the source once at startup. Weird!
> >

> That is very confusing. So let me see if I understand what's happening...
> You start up insight, load an executable file, and insight cannot show the
> entry point -- the source window is blank. When you attach to a target (and
> download?), the source is then displayed properly in the source window.

I don't get a blank source window but a window with disassembly from
main(). This main() function is in the file App.cpp. If I manually
select the same file from the drop down list in the source window I
suddenly get the C++ source. So only the very first time I get
disassembly, the next time the source file is loaded I get source
code.

> It sounds like there is a problem finding the entry point (which is what
> insight attempts to show before there is a register set). When you start up
> (and the source window is blank), open a console window and enter the
> command "tk gdbtk_locate_main". What is the result?

(gdb) tk gdbtk_locate_main
../MasterX86/App.cpp main ../MasterX86/App.cpp 33 0x041004f4 0x00000000 {}

So that's not the problem...

* Re: Insight 6.8
@ 2008-04-03 13:34         ` Hans Kester
From: Hans Kester @ 2008-04-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

The problem is suddenly solved by copying the whole Insight install
directory to another place on my harddisk...

Beats me.