public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* RE: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 14:54 Dickinson, Derek
From: Dickinson, Derek @ 2004-05-14 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Graf', insight

I've seen this problem in 6.0.  However, the status bar reappears as soon as
I resize the Source Window.
Good Luck,
Derek

From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-05-14 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen P. Smith; +Cc: Peter Graf, insight

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:33, Stephen P. Smith wrote:
> I just did a fetch from cvs a couple of days ago and the mention patch
> doesn't appear to be in the system.  Is this intentional?

Yes -- the patch could be incorrect. I haven't investigated it fully.
(For example: why is this patch not needed on linux -- only cygwin?)

Until I feel confident that it is the correct patch and understand the
problem, I won't submit it for approval.

Keith

* Re: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 18:42 Stephen P. Smith
From: Stephen P. Smith @ 2004-05-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I just did a fetch from cvs a couple of days ago and the mentioned patch
doesn't appear to be in the system. Is this intentional?

sps

Keith Seitz wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 03:42, Peter Graf wrote:
>

>>Is there an configuration option or make target I have to add? Or is
>>there a new runtime switch for the GUI?
>>

>I think this should fix it:
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html
>
>Keith

* Re: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 14:25       ` Peter Graf
From: Peter Graf @ 2004-05-14 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Jon Beniston wrote:

>>I've noticed a different problem: The Source Display Status Bar
>>(offering file/function selection below the Toolbar) doesn't
>>appear when
>>I invoke Insight 6.1 using the
>>-command <commandfile>
>>option. This still worked in 5.3. For me it's quite annoying, since I
>>used this feature very much. It can also be done by the
>>Function browser
>>Menu, but not as quick. Any hints?
>>

>Try resizing the window. It usually appears. See PR insight/253 I thing.

It appears on resize indeed. Further remarks see reply to Keith.

Thanks,
Peter

* Re: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 14:22       ` Peter Graf
From: Peter Graf @ 2004-05-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Keith Seitz wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 06:34, Peter Graf wrote:
>

>>I've noticed a different problem: The Source Display Status Bar
>>(offering file/function selection below the Toolbar) doesn't appear when
>>I invoke Insight 6.1 using the
>>-command <commandfile>
>>option. This still worked in 5.3. For me it's quite annoying, since I
>>used this feature very much. It can also be done by the Function browser
>>Menu, but not as quick. Any hints?
>>

>Hmm. I've tried a simple test case and could not reproduce this:
>
>$ cat commands
>set $i=0
>while $i<10
>set $i=$i+1
>printf "Hello: %d\n",$i
>end
>
>$ ./insight --command commands gdb
>
>And Insight came up as expected (on linux). I'll see if I cannot steal
>some windows time later.
>
>I welcome any other hints you may have.

At first I thought the problem was triggered by "--command" in general,
but now I see that it depends on the contents of the commandfile. My
original file was:

file test.x
set remotebaud 115200
set remotetime 1
set debug remote 0
target remote com2
load test.x

The critical instruction seems to be "target remote com2". (BTW it is
executed, otherwise I couldn't download to the remote target). When I
remove "target remote com2", and consequently the "load test.x", the
problem disappears. Removing only "load test.x" doesn't help.

I have noticed that "target remote com2" causes an error window "no
shared library support for this OS/ABI" to pop up. I could imagine the
problem is somhow related to this window, since the audit trail of PR253
reported the same when the Local Variables window is open at startup.

The error window did not appear in Insight 5.3, too.

All the best
Peter

* Re: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 13:43     ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-05-14 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Graf; +Cc: insight

@ 2004-05-14 13:38     ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2004-05-14 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Peter Graf', insight

> I've noticed a different problem: The Source Display Status Bar
> (offering file/function selection below the Toolbar) doesn't
> appear when
> I invoke Insight 6.1 using the
> -command <commandfile>
> option. This still worked in 5.3. For me it's quite annoying, since I
> used this feature very much. It can also be done by the
> Function browser
> Menu, but not as quick. Any hints?

Try resizing the window. It usually appears. See PR insight/253 I thing.

Cheers,
JonB

* Re: Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-14 13:34   ` Peter Graf
       [not found]   ` <40A510E8.4030701@cox.net>
From: Peter Graf @ 2004-05-14 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

@ 2004-05-13 14:04 ` Keith Seitz
       [not found]   ` <40A510E8.4030701@cox.net>
From: Keith Seitz @ 2004-05-13 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Graf; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 03:42, Peter Graf wrote:
> Is there an configuration option or make target I have to add? Or is
> there a new runtime switch for the GUI?

I think this should fix it:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2004-q2/msg00032.html

Keith

* Insight 6.1 Cygwin GUI
@ 2004-05-13 10:42 Peter Graf
From: Peter Graf @ 2004-05-13 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

the gdb -w option to start up the GUI doesn't seem to work with the 6.1
release under Cygwin. I'm pretty sure the reason must be something
trivial, since I had no compilation problems and the ususal GUI related
Object files seem to be there. I target cross-debugging for PowerPC, and
configured with:

../insight-6.1/configure --target=powerpc-eabi
--prefix=/ecos-t/powerpc-eabi-insight-6.1

Is there an configuration option or make target I have to add? Or is
there a new runtime switch for the GUI?

Thanks,
Peter

PS: Sorry if that has been asked here before, but a few hours search
through the docs and list archive didn't lead me further. I'm not used
to this problem from version 5.3.