public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Which version with JEENI?
@ 2002-10-30  3:44 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2002-10-30  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I just started using Insight after purchasing a JEENI. Back when I
installed Cygwin and other GNU tools, I seem to have downloaded the
20010523 snapshot of GDB (same for Insight?). It works quite well but I
can't use memory window preferences. I get 'Error: bad window path name
"::.memwin().memwin"' and am stuck with dword display.

So, as I need this functionality, I suppose it's best to get the most
reliable version as I'm into it.

Please give the best combination if possible. My platform is:

WIN98 (host=i586-pc-cygwin)
Cygwin 1.3.2
GDB (and Insight?) 20010523
target ARM-ELF

TIA,

	Harri

* Re: Which version with JEENI?
@ 2002-10-30  4:29 ` Masahide Tomita
From: Masahide Tomita @ 2002-10-30  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi Harri,

I'm using (actually, just started using them) GDB 5.0 (20010428-3) on Cygwin
1.3.12, but so far none of error messages or whatsoever showed up.
Possibly, as you mentioned, it's snapshot bug.

My platform is i686-pc-cygwin (on WinXP), and I chose everything when I
install Cygwin, for your infomation.

--

Masahide Tomita

fsi_tomi@bcpc601.neec.abk.nec.co.jp

> I just started using Insight after purchasing a JEENI. Back when I
> installed Cygwin and other GNU tools, I seem to have downloaded the
> 20010523 snapshot of GDB (same for Insight?). It works quite well but I
> can't use memory window preferences. I get 'Error: bad window path name
> "::.memwin().memwin"' and am stuck with dword display.
>
> So, as I need this functionality, I suppose it's best to get the most
> reliable version as I'm into it.
>
> Please give the best combination if possible. My platform is:
>
> WIN98 (host=i586-pc-cygwin)
> Cygwin 1.3.2
> GDB (and Insight?) 20010523
> target ARM-ELF
>
> TIA,
>
> Harri

* RE: Which version with JEENI?
@ 2002-10-30  4:50   ` Tim Chick
From: Tim Chick @ 2002-10-30  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Harri,

I use 5.1.1 with both the Jeeni and MultiICE under cygwin, without
too many problems.

I had lots of problems with 5.0 and earlier snapshots.

I believe that 5.2 and 5.2.1 are difficult to compile under cygwin.
I have not tried to use them under cygwin, but there are instructions
on how to build them here:
http://sources.redhat.com/insight/cygwin.html

Hope this helps,
Tim

******************Legal Disclaimer**************************
"This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply email @globespanvirata.com, and delete the message. Thank you."

* Re: Which version with JEENI?
@ 2002-11-04  8:20 ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2002-11-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harri.siirtola; +Cc: insight

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:55:52PM +0200, harri.siirtola@vtt.fi wrote:
> At 13:36 1.11.2002 -0600, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>A few months ago (July) I fixed the RDI target code (which is
>>used with Jeeni) so that it doesn't suck up all available host
>>CPU time while the target is executing.  If you notice gdb
>>using a lot of CPU time while it's just sitting there waiting
>>for your program to hit a breakpoint, that's the bug.  A recent
>>CVS snapshot should have it fixed.
>
> Actually it did, on some occasions. Now I have updated to 5.1.1
> and I got that behaviour once. The Rx/Tx light starts flashing
> as if there were a lot of communication and the PC cursor only
> moves between flashes.

That doesn't sound like the same issue.  For the case I fixed,
the Rx/Tx light wouldn't be flashing and the "stop" button will
still work.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com

* Re: Which version with JEENI?
@ 2002-11-04  3:52 harri.siirtola
From: harri.siirtola @ 2002-11-04  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

At 13:36 1.11.2002 -0600, Grant Edwards wrote:
 >A few months ago (July) I fixed the RDI target code (which is
 >used with Jeeni) so that it doesn't suck up all available host
 >CPU time while the target is executing.  If you notice gdb
 >using a lot of CPU time while it's just sitting there waiting
 >for your program to hit a breakpoint, that's the bug.  A recent
 >CVS snapshot should have it fixed.

Actually it did, on some occasions. Now I have updated to 5.1.1 and I got
that behaviour once. The Rx/Tx light starts flashing as if there were a lot
of communication and the PC cursor only moves between flashes. The only way
to get out is kill Insight. Pressing stop button or trying to quit from
console gives "target is busy" (something like that).

My memory window problem went away with 5.1.1 so I'll try it for a while
and get the snapshot if the "sticky" bug starts getting in the way. Thanks
a lot!

 >--
 >Grant Edwards
 >grante@visi.com